Bit Of A Yarn

why don't we focus more on the positives

I have been reading the replies on another topic,and Gammalite madea point in one of his posts that we need to "enjoy... the mighty harness industry". 

That got me thinking,why can't we focus more on the positives. After some thought,all i could come up with ,is mostly just a mindset. For some reason negativity is more fashionable than positivity.

There are so many aspects and characters,both human and horse that are there,just waiting to have exposure which would reflect the industry in a positive way,but it either never happens or seems to fly under the radar.

So heres some of my thoughts

1) why is the likes of unhinged,southern harness and i understand theres a north island one,why is it being left up to them to self promote and push for more exposure,seemingly without working together with HRNZ. I just don't get why we have stories written on the HRNZ website,which take their content from interviews on the likes of unhinged,when we could have the actual clips of the interviews which deliver the emotions and joy,which a written story can't. I like dave di sooma who writes the stories for hrnz,but why don't they use him in conjunction,to help showcase the clips that capture the moment.

2)why is there no comedy content on HRNZ or somewhere similar that hrnz could provide a link to.. Theres that many people in the industry that could,with the right choice of words,have the piss taken out of them. For example,they could have a clip each week on hrnz of say matt cross and someone else with a bit of character,leaning over the rail at the races,holding a conversation about the previous weeks events,where the content is as much about having a laugh as it is in giving relevant information. I can think of so much material where settings,play into innuendo,based around previous occurences,which could become a bit of a cult following. Nothing should be off limits if delivered in a non insulting,humourous way.Some segments could be done at other locations on the way to a meeting. If nigel armstrong can do such good work using just his camera or whatever,then why can't matt cross do the same. 

3) how about each week HRNZ have a good sorts type of interview,Make it where a video clip catches them in action doing whatever it is they do.I don't watch the tv 1 good sorts myseld,but i wouldn't know them from a bar of soap,,but a harness good sorts would interest me.

4)why is it when we read obituaries,its sometimes the first time you have heard of what someone did.For example not that long ago i read the obituary of peter craig,a harness historian. Well i had seen that fella many times when i used to go to the races,but just assumed he was a punter. If they are worth acknowledging when they are dead,why not when they are alive is how i see it.

5)how about a where are they today type segment.Maybe it could be incorporated in the matt cross comedy thing,but it would be a serious segment.It doesn't have to feature the actual person each time,just give information on what they are today. Maybe it can be based on viewers requests.

i could go on and on,but the point is there is so much what i would call,untapped positive material and humorous material,then why is it left untapped.That brings to mind,perhaps that davey butt coulf be matt cross's sidekick occasionally.

Suppose it will never happen,but that filled in 20 minutes of my afternoon

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, the galah said:

1) why is the likes of unhinged,southern harness and i understand theres a north island one,why is it being left up to them to self promote and push for more exposure,seemingly without working together with HRNZ. I just don't get why we have stories written on the HRNZ website,which take their content from interviews on the likes of unhinged,when we could have the actual clips of the interviews which deliver the emotions and joy,which a written story can't. I like dave di sooma who writes the stories for hrnz,but why don't they use him in conjunction,to help showcase the clips that capture the moment.

TABNZ and NZTR fucked over NZ Racing journalism.  For a whole lot of reasons.

It started when Fairfax sold Best Bets and Turf Digest to the TAB at way way over what they were worth.  I knew a senior manager at Fairfax at the time that couldn't stop grinning for a long time.  Not only did they get rid of low profit publications they had the opportunity to offload their racing journo's.  

Then Fairfax started charging for space for fields, results and articles to be published.

Friday Flash morphs into The Informant to fill the gap.   The TAB with a seemingly bottomless pit of money morph their recently purchased publications and start competing with the Informant.

The Informant unfortunately gets as many of the Journalists it can on their books - many offloaded by Fairfax and then the TAB.  The Informant suddenly has a very high cost structure up against a monopoly with a pit full of money and a ready made distribution network.  

The TAB in collusion with the codes makes it even harder for The Informant with exorbitant fees for race fields and form data.  So expensive that it is cheaper for The Informant to purchase from an Australian news agency.  I might be wrong but it was probably a Fairfax company.

The Informant folds.  The Journalists are left hanging with no income.  Of course the usual wheeler and dealers find a life line e.g. Mick Guerin.

Then McKenzie comes along.  Fiddles with the balance sheet and pushes marketing costs out to the codes.  Of course the code administration are clueless about promoting their sport and the punting that funds it.  So where does the money come from to promote both objectives - money that goes to stakes.

But wait it gets worse.

Change of management at the TAB (McKenzie off to be a Professor in Arizona) who decide to rehire a marketing department.  

Now we have double the costs, no decent form publication or editorial and Mick Guerin the only Journalist writing in mainstream media.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, the galah said:

i could go on and on,but the point is there is so much what i would call,untapped positive material and humorous material,then why is it left untapped.

Unhinged has done a great at the coal-face job with interviews with some of the characters in harness racing. quite enjoyed them really. thanks for pointing them out time to time. 

Mick Guiren obviously can't get stuck into the industry and tries to spin his 'Positive' knowledge onto the viewer but comes out with some funny stuff. on Hunter Cup night he co-hosted here in Oz , his brainwave said that the way the driver carries his whip in the score up decides whether he is going to leave the mobile gate in a rush or not, advantages of the marker line as opposed to the 3 wide train, and many assorted pearls of wisdom like that ...giving me plenty of humour to chuckle over anyway. he's being funny without even trying to be a lot of the time.  😄.

BOAY posters like Ranga and that come out with funny stuff , way more than other sites , and even though a few often comment on the State of the Nation and/or can't get a Bet on etc the vibe seems pretty positive with mentioning of strong performances (like Carter doing well driving for example) 

so yeah, why not some more racing achievements for some positives vibes week to week like that , we can contribute  to here and people can mention fun times like a good bet or yarn about some of the good horsepeople past and present ..... and maybe even future ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Unhinged has done a great at the coal-face job with interviews with some of the characters in harness racing. quite enjoyed them really. thanks for pointing them out time to time. 

Mick Guiren obviously can't get stuck into the industry and tries to spin his 'Positive' knowledge onto the viewer but comes out with some funny stuff. on Hunter Cup night he co-hosted here in Oz , his brainwave said that the way the driver carries his whip in the score up decides whether he is going to leave the mobile gate in a rush or not, advantages of the marker line as opposed to the 3 wide train, and many assorted pearls of wisdom like that ...giving me plenty of humour to chuckle over anyway. he's being funny without even trying to be a lot of the time.  😄.

BOAY posters like Ranga and that come out with funny stuff , way more than other sites , and even though a few often comment on the State of the Nation and/or can't get a Bet on etc the vibe seems pretty positive with mentioning of strong performances (like Carter doing well driving for example) 

so yeah, why not some more racing achievements for some positives vibes week to week like that , we can contribute  to here and people can mention fun times like a good bet or yarn about some of the good horsepeople past and present ..... and maybe even future ?

The Unhinged one is always looking for a new angle but pretty time short, if you have any leads on a good yarn throw me a text 027 328 2206. As for HRNZ not at least linking their story's to my interviews makes no sense but on the positive side my Facebook site is getting a bigger following by the week . The top post seems to be the Saturday beach report , two week's ago the video hit 23,000 views.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

You mention mick guerin.Love him or not,hes well known and a character that with a bit of humour could be the subject of a short segment by someone like matt  cross.Cross could be a david bellamy type character.

for example it could be called "the search for Mick guerin".

Done on the premise that he was supposed to make himself available for an unhinged interview at the beach,when mr unhinged tells you he never turned up,cross goes on a search for him.

He could start off looking where hes supposed to be staying,and show a room with a picture of say mark purdon and n rasmessen on the wall,then one 10 times bigger of  m geurin himself next to it. As you pan round the room you realise its full of mirrors. Then on the floor you see a high end scarf....then you know your on the right track but where could he be. Next you go to the tattoo shop. Apparently he has his mothers initals on shoulder,so you ask around there and are asked,does he look in the mirror a lot,to which you of course reply yes,and you are told he was seen going into the tab. again you find another high quality scarf on the floor.You go to the tab , only to told someone who pouts a lot had just put a substantial bet  on then left saying he would be back in an hour to pay for it and left a tie that he said he was worth double the bet and he would collect on his return.You think aloud ,pouts a lot,that night be greg o'connor.You then get told he said he was going to the high end menswear store across the road. There you meet a fella who said he hadn't seen mr geurin ,but if you see cran dalgety tell him the new seasons shirts have just come in. Then you spot what could be mick geurin getting into a maserati and driving off. You could then conclude the segment saying ..well i never got to ask him whether the rumour about him having a picture of himself on his headboard when he was a teenager was true..

To be honest,segments like that will probably will never be made,

And maybe all thats not everyones cup of tea,but i would find that funny myself.

The point is theres plently of subjects for humour ,the aussies seem to use humour in their shows to promote their sports,it would be nice if we had something like that hear to add some humour.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

You have a high opinion of Matt Cross, not my cup of tea.

Listening to Entain this is the type of thing they want to do.  Jason Teaz might be available.

I think Trackside is moving in the wrong direction.  The type of pieces the galah would watch would be best served through the internet.  If I was presenting on Trackside I would be scared when Entain takes over.

• Like 1

I think most posts are positive, apart from when I’m moaning🤭

Not many places where you can question drivers, trainers, each other. 

I do like hearing from others about punting, horses etc. Seems there is a few on here that remember racing in the 80s, which is my fav era

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

One of my all time favourite races was the 1981 Allan Matson Free For All won by LORD MODULE.  One of the most amazing races I have ever seen.  Cecil Devine always struck me as a grumpy old bugger but, he knew how to condition a racehorse.

Com'on mate . That was a bit of a fluke really. Gammalite putting 3 Great New Zealand Cup winners to the sword here with Armalight 3rd, Hands Down 4th and Bonnie's Chance 5th. a couple of lengths behind him.

the 'lucky' 4th Nz cup winner named Lord Module staggering by the great Aussie Champ late on . his last race start ever for Lord Module. probably barred from bad manners after that ? 😉  Gammalite back in the New year a few months later (with Popular Alm as sidekick for Australia)  to clean em' up at the Auckland Interdominion .🏆  now there's a BIG Win 😊.

Now that was much better than the little Matson race ? 😎

DSC02963.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Special Agent said:

One of my all time favourite races was the 1981 Allan Matson Free For All won by LORD MODULE.

Yes it was a fantastic race. 

And here's one for the Chief as well , as on the Very same night Lord Module won his last race start above, the Dominion Handicap Group 1 was on for the trotters , with Grand warrior Stormy Morn taking the win . in a great finish. and Chief's family horse McShane having a crack at glory , finishing on late for a good 4th (in the white neck-strap) 

DSC02967.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Yes it was a fantastic race. 

And here's one for the Chief as well , as on the Very same night Lord Module won his last race start above, the Dominion Handicap Group 1 was on for the trotters , with Grand warrior Stormy Morn taking the win . in a great finish. and Chief's family horse McShane having a crack at glory , finishing on late for a good 4th (in the white neck-strap) 

DSC02967.JPG

Old Stormy a good old plodder, time was real slow in this race. Great drive thou. Had good success in Australia too, outstayed the locals, think Jim O’Sullivan trained it when racing in Aus. Was lucky really, Scotch Tar and a few others were just finishing their careers, and Sir Castleton & Basil Dean just about to hit the headlines. 

Still, Stormy a good horse who hardly ever galloped. 

• Like 1

Looking back I wonder how those horses would’ve performed under the new whip laws, gee we did use to get into them, (Bruce Clark, your arse would be sore Gamma), don’t think Inky Lord would’ve won his NZ Cup without Ricky May getting into him, may have ran on for 5th maybe, guess everyone was doing the same. A good horse will always be a good horse but others needed a little bit more persuasion.

Gammalite a tough taskmaster, like see how far the Aussie could run with cracked heels, some excitement machine was LM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

good horse will always be a good horse but others needed a little bit more persuasion.

Gammalite a tough taskmaster, like see how far the Aussie could run with cracked heels, some excitement machine was LM.

Even the best , have to get driven along a bit at times, so to be the Very best. as they are constantly racing against opposition that are pretty good as well in the features..  Popular Alm and Cardigan Bay included. 

Maori's Idol probably got off the easiest. Being so Superior to the Opposition (did race against pacers occasionally) most of his career in the trots,  he was way out in front at races end , so No Need to pull the plugs lol. (whip) 

As for Lord Module , I'm not too impressed really . Last in Miracle Mile behind Nzer Robin Butt's Locarno (who i respect a lot more) , nowhere in the Interdominion behind Koala King and Pure Steel (way better horses) and only placed on 2 occasions in the Auckland Cup (well beaten by the Lady herself (Delightful lady who I respect and adore way more than him) 

Yes the old 'Module' (angry old stallion that he was) did win the Nz Cup 🏆 once. a fine achievement..... But still displayed hid terrible manners on that day at the start. (and was significantly aided and abetted by stablemate Sunseeker during the running of the event) The great Terror To Love missed away badly in his 3rd Nz Cup win as well losing 50m so it can be done fairly lol..........., but Think LM remembered more for being a 'rogue' than 'fine racehorse' . JMHO 😎.

17 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

Gammalite, Just like galah was saying we love to focus on negative over positive.

The wins by Lord Module in the Allan Matson and the NZ Cup were definite highlights.

Yeah , I get that . it's a positive thread thing going here. I think the Lord Module highlights are only because he is a rogue who overcame adversity from his usual bad manners to win those 2 races. (and as I pointed out you can see Sunseeker wipe out the horses inside him around 2000m to go in the video Mikey posted above of the Nz Cup ,to give Lord Module the 1-1 rather than be stuck 3 wide. A real Positive for Him . (but sadly a real negative for Greg Robinson and Dels Dream lol 😉 )

the Positive  Negative  balance of nature happening there ? lol  happens a lot in harness racing too. " for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction" 😄

so to roll with the positives for some greater performances than old rogue LM 😄  ......... I will stick with My heroes Delightful lady 2 Auckland Cups  Gammalite a fantastic Auckland Cup and also Interdominion grand Final wins at Alex Park (The lady 3rd in that one) , Locarno and Young Quinn both winning the Miracle Mile from the 'impossible' outside barrier at Harold Park. Koala King and Pure Steel and Paleface Adios all with around 100 wins each.  incredible stuff. Blossom Lady a couple of sensational Hunter Cups . The brilliant Lightning Blue returning to Nz to crush the local dreams in a Nz Cup triumph and Interdominion Final at Addington . Armalight scurried away from the field in Auckland and Nz Cups, No Response (Mikey posted above video) Blacks A Fake with 4 Interdominion Grand Final wins was through the ceiling Positively Good !! 

I could go on for hours with plenty more highlights but it's made me so positive i just got electric shock lol.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Pity this cuts off a bit early.

I remember that being the first nz cup i ever saw on track.My parents and uncles were there. They stayed in the grandstand after the previous race to ensure there was enough space for us to squeeze into a seat after we put the bets on. People packed like sardines everywhere that hadn't been able to get a seat in the grandstand.Everyone watching was there to see the race and had an appreciation of who every horse and driver was.It wasn't like today where so many who  go along view it as a social occasion.

After lord module won it seemed everyone was on a buzz at  what they had just seen,then when the siren went and reon murtha said the inquiry was into the winner. Well everyone  knew it would be into that.It honestly felt like everyone around you was excited by what had just taken place.The combination of the race and the horse everyone had talked about pre race had delivered. It's an experience i will never forget myself. Hands down win in the cup the following year was somehow just as good.

If you looked at the connections of the horses in that race. Theres your answer as to why harness racing was so popular back then.The field was full of just as many horses prepared by small time trainers as they were by leading trainers.

As to who was in the race.The race wasn't always dominated by one or two stables.

That was why everyone who trained or owned a horse gave themselves a chance of getting a good horse.The many trainers with a horse in the race who just trained  small teams was proof of that. No one back then ever talked about the influence of treatments in achieving results. People back then didn't see horses run forever.

Those races like lord modules were the reasons why people aspired to train a horse,even if it be just to train one horse.

Today what young person is ever going to start training a horse now and say,i'm going to train the winner of a nz cup. Next to no one is your answer. Its no longer a realistic goal for anyone apart from only a handful with the right connections..Back then thousands had that dream,now no one drams of that. 

Thats why those who got into the sport back then fondly remember the days when everyone had a chance if they were good enough.

As to the night that lord module won that ffa driven by jack smolenski. I remember talking to a keen sporting man on the monday after. He was mainly a rugby man,but also enjoyed the horses. He went that night and told me he had never experienced the excitement at a sporting event that he saw and felt when lord module won.So thats why lord module will never be forgotten by those who got to see him race. 

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

24 minutes ago, the galah said:

I remember that being the first nz cup i ever saw on track.My parents and uncles were there. They stayed in the grandstand after the previous race to ensure there was enough space for us to squeeze into a seat after we put the bets on. People packed like sardines everywhere that hadn't been able to get a seat in the grandstand.Everyone watching was there to see the race and had an appreciation of who every horse and driver was.It wasn't like today where so many who  go along view it as a social occasion.

After lord module won it seemed everyone was on a buzz at  what they had just seen,then when the siren went and reon murtha said the inquiry was into the winner. Well everyone  knew it would be into that.It honestly felt like everyone around you was excited by what had just taken place.The combination of the race and the horse everyone had talked about pre race had delivered. It's an experience i will never forget myself. Hands down win in the cup the following year was somehow just as good.

If you looked at the connections of the horses in that race. Theres your answer as to why harness racing was so popular back then.The field was full of just as many horses prepared by small time trainers as they were by leading trainers.

As to who was in the race.The race wasn't always dominated by one or two stables.

That was why everyone who trained or owned a horse gave themselves a chance of getting a good horse.The many trainers with a horse in the race who just trained  small teams was proof of that. No one back then ever talked about the influence of treatments in achieving results. People back then didn't see horses run forever.

Those races like lord modules were the reasons why people aspired to train a horse,even if it be just to train one horse.

Today what young person is ever going to start training a horse now and say,i'm going to train the winner of a nz cup. Next to no one is your answer. Its no longer a realistic goal for anyone apart from only a handful with the right connections..Back then thousands had that dream,now no one drams of that. 

Thats why those who got into the sport back then fondly remember the days when everyone had a chance if they were good enough.

As to the night that lord module won that ffa driven by jack smolenski. I remember talking to a keen sporting man on the monday after. He was mainly a rugby man,but also enjoyed the horses. He went that night and told me he had never experienced the excitement at a sporting event that he saw and felt when lord module won.So thats why lord module will never be forgotten by those who got to see him race. 

Having said that,i think the way to look at it is those of us who got to experience those type of days were very fortunate and somewhat privileged.

Now is certainly a different era.

Those who were inspired to get into the sport by what they experienced in the likes of those decades,now have to change their mindset from aspiring to train a possible nz cup winner,to just enjoying doing something they really enjoy. Working with the horses is still what keeps many honest,hard working trainers in the sport .And there are still owners around who experienced those great decades and have remained loyal to some trainers,and  view each other as long time friends.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

10 minutes ago, the galah said:

Having said that,i think the way to look at it is those of us who got to experience those type of days were very fortunate and somewhat privileged.

Now is certainly a different era.

Those who were inspired to get into the sport by what they experienced in the likes of those decades,now have to change their mindset from aspiring to train a possible nz cup winner,to just enjoying doing something they really enjoy. Working with the horses is still what keeps many honest,hard working trainers in the sport .And there are still owners around who experienced those great decades and have remained loyal to some trainers,and  view each other as long time friends.

Some of the best stuff ever written here at BOAY. 100% behind you with this mate. exactly how it is.

Yes the likes of Trusty Scot , and Sapling and Trevira from the deep South , all had a chance to win NZ Cups and Auckland Cups. I think just the other night with Mark Purdon winning the 8th Auckland Cup in a row , with several quinellas to boot , and the Allstars Nz Cup dominance too , the Nz Cup and especially Auckland Cup dream is over for nearly everyone , including the nations leading stable of Robert and John and Jenna Dunn.

On another positive note 😊 Copy That ( although well beaten in Auckland Cups like everyone else  ) has been able to stop the Nz Cup run of Allstars on 2 occasions and pluck the big Plum GRIN RACE as well in recent times . so it can be done?  if you Have a Champion like Copy That in your backyard who can run a slick '3.54' for 2 miles time 😂.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the galah said:

The field was full of just as many horses prepared by small time trainers as they were by leading trainers.

The race wasn't always dominated by one or two stables.

This is what racing administrators either don't realise, or ignore.  They have it all wrong.  The racing game should be there for everyone to play not just a privileged few.

I used to go to every Addington night meeting when I was at school, even in the freezing cold.  I haven't turned the TV on to watch Trackside for months as the races don't interest me.

As far as small stables are concerned I always marvel at how someone like Snow Lupton could pack up his gear and horse Kiwi and take out the biggest 2 mile race in Australasia in such an unassuming NZ manner.  I hope new licencing rules and regulations don't prevent that in the future.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

As far as small stables are concerned I always marvel at how someone like Snow Lupton could pack up his gear and horse Kiwi and take out the biggest 2 mile race in Australasia in such an unassuming NZ manner.  I hope new licencing rules and regulations don't prevent that in the future.

One of the greatest things ever for Nz racing SAgent.  and followed up by Laurie Laxon with Empire Rose , and Brian Jenkins with Jeezabeel and Sheila Laxon with Ethereal late last century taking the biggest plum there is in racing , The Melbourne Cup.

This century the plethora of Northern hemisphere runners (used to competing over that distance) and the Juggernaut of super stables like Wallers , Waterhouse, Snowdens Hayes Goldolphin and Neasham with between 500-1000 horses on their training name each,  and maher/Eustuce in 4 figures , nobody is beating that avalanche of runners these days. That many horses they have , they mostly don't even meet the owners these days , and I would think they have horses they don't  even remember at times lol .... 

The hard working harness racing folk of Nz and Aus, on a Positive note 😉, are all involved with their horses way more , and trainers actually train them physically lol....  (like those great kiwi Melbourne Cup winning trainers did) 

• Champ Post 1

The atmosphere at Addington in the 80s really got me and a few mates hooked. Never missed a meeting, one of us had to get there early to get our spot in the bar public area, think it was under lordship plaque, or similar, bar close to where you could buy pies, ate plenty of them🤭

Was always a big thing when  race times were bettered, the time Basil Dean posted quick time for 2600, which I think was even a record for pacers also. 

Also remember Malaz & Freightman dead heating once in record time, fav Royden Glen 3rd, or who can forget desperate comments real quick time, was it 3.09 or something? 
Reon always got the crowd buzzing once records broken, nowadays nobody makes a big deal.

• Like 4