• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• A bumper field has been declared for Sunday's G1 Tenno Sho (Spring), with 18 runners set to do battle over the 3,200-metre distance at Kyoto Racecourse. The race is run over a longer trip than any other Group 1 in the JRA calendar and staying was typically the name of the game last year when Justin Palace (Jpn) (Deep Impact {Jpn}) ground his rivals into submission with a dominant performance under Christophe Lemaire. Justin Palace is a notable absentee from this year's line-up, but the likes of Deep Bond (Jpn) (Kizuna {Jpn}) and Silver Sonic (Jpn) (Orfevre {Jpn}) are back for more having finished second and third, respectively, 12 months ago. Stamina certainly won't be an issue for either horse, though both need to bounce back from below-par efforts in the G2 Hanshin Daishoten last time. T O Royal (Jpn) (Leontes {Jpn}), on the other hand, looked better than ever when winning that race by five lengths, identifying himself as a leading contender as he tries to improve on his third-place finish in the 2022 edition of the Tenno Sho (Spring) when it was run at Hanshin. “He was raring to run in the Hanshin Daishoten and the jockey had a lot of horse under him the whole way,” said Atsushi Obayashi, assistant trainer to Inao Okada. “When he urged him on T O Royal responded with some very solid running. “Everything about his prep has gone smoothly. The competition will take a step up but there's nowhere this horse comes up short. He has come into his own now. He has ample stamina and with the condition he's in presently I think he has ample chance. I'm really looking forward to the race.” The placed horses from the Hanshin Daishoten, Warp Speed (Jpn) (Drefong) and Blow The Horn (Jpn) (Epiphaneia {Jpn}), are in opposition again, but it's a couple of four-year-olds who appeal as potentially the biggest dangers to T O Royal on Sunday, namely the Classic winners Durezza (Jpn) (Duramente {Jpn}) and Tastiera (Jpn) (Satono Crown {Jpn}), both horses owned by Carrot Farm Co Ltd. Tastiera enjoyed his day in the sun when winning last year's G1 Tokyo Yushun (Japanese Derby) at Tokyo, but he was later no match for Durezza when the pair met in the G1 Kikuka Sho (Japanese St Leger) at this track. Durezza ran on willingly in the closing stages to win by three and a half lengths and Tomohito Ozeki is cautiously optimistic of an improved showing on Sunday following his runner-up finish in the G2 Kinko Sho at Chukyo last time. “The Kikuka Sho really took a lot out of him, so his second place in the Kinko Sho was in part due to the time needed to get him back to his best,” said Ozeki. “He's still immature physically, too soft in places, too tight in others, so we had to prepare him for the race while being careful he doesn't tense up. “On April 17 he worked under Keita Tosaki and alongside another horse. That horse could move so it was a good hard workout. He should have improved after that–he is definitely improving as he heads toward the Group 1. I can't say the distance is welcome, but with the way he's looking now, I think he'll be able to handle it.” On Tastiera, who finished down the field on his return to action in the G1 Osaka Hai at Hanshin, trainer Noriyuki Hori said, “Looking at his condition and his body, I still can't find a reason for him losing his last race. Looking at his last result, I can't really say how he'll do. I'll just keep my thinking cap on as we head in to this race.” Of the rest, the consistent Chuck Nate (Jpn) (Heart's Cry {Jpn}) isn't one to underestimate following his last-time-out victory in the G2 American Jockey Club Cup at Nakayama, while Savona (Jpn) (Kizuna {Jpn}) was only sixth in the Hanshin Daishoten but has some good efforts at Kyoto to his name, including when pushing Blow The Horn all the way in the G2 Nikkei Shinshun Hei H. here in January. The post T O Royal Bids For First Top-Level Success In Tenno Sho appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Kenny Alexander, the owner of Honeysuckle (GB) (Sulamani {Ire}), has donated a specific set of racing colours which will be offered as part of the Goffs Punchestown Sale next week, the sales company announced on Friday. Signed by Rachael Blackmore, Henry De Bromhead and Alexander, the silks were worn by Blackmore in all of Honeysuckle's major races, including her four Cheltenham Festival victories and nine Irish Grade 1 wins. The silks are offered to support the ChildVision indoor equine therapeutic centre named in memory of Jack De Bromhead, which will be built this year. The catalogue for the Punchestown Sale, which takes place immediately after racing on May 2, will be limited to 24 lots and released on Monday. For more information, please visit the Goffs website. The post Honeysuckle Silks To Be Offered At Goffs Punchestown Sale appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Keeneland has supplemented the 2-year-old Cheval de Guerre (Caravaggio) to Friday evening's April Selected Horses of Racing Age Sale, which will begin at 6:30 p.m. ET., the auction house said in a release early Friday morning. Consigned by Kenneally Racing, agent, the colt will sell as Hip 135 from Barn 18. The first foal out of Champagne Diet, a winning daughter of Declaration of War, the gray is from the family of multiple Grade I winners Winter Memories (El Prado {Ire}) and Memories of Silver (Silver Hawk). On the turf at Keeneland in race 2 on Thursday, Cheval de Guerre was the runner-up in his debut to Into Diamonds (Into Mischief). Click here for the online catalog and here for full-sale form figures for the 135 horses in the catalog. The post Juvenile Cheval De Guerre Supplemented To Keeneland April Sale appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Classic prospect Making Dreams (Ire) (Make Believe {Ire}) headlines a pop-up sale conducted by Arqana Online from 3-5 p.m. on May 3. Already a winner of the G3 Prix Penelope by six lengths on Apr. 1, the three-time 2-year-old winner carries an entry for the G2 Prix Saint Alary on May 12, as well as for the G1 Oaks at Epsom on May 31. Trained by Karl Burke, the filly is currently rated 100. Bred by Morera Partnership, Making Dreams cost 33,000gns at the 2022 Tattersalls Somerville Yearling Sale.  Her dam is stakes-placed Sweet Dream (GB) (Oasis Dream {GB}), and her granddam is the G1 Prix Vermeille heroine Sweet Stream (Ity) (Shantou). This is the extended family of Group 2-winning stayer Trawlerman (Ire) (Golden Horn {GB}). For more information on the pop-up sale, please visit the Arqana website. The post Arqana Pop-Up Sale For Classic Prospect Making Dreams appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • Peter O'Reilly has been appointed as the new chief executive of the Irish Thoroughbred Breeders' Association, the ITBA announced on Friday. He takes over from interim CEO Pat Keogh. Currently on the board of the AIRO, O'Reilly is a small breeder and a longtime member of the ITBA. O'Reilly enjoyed a long career in the financial services industry, before starting his own business. He will be supported in his new role by the ITBA team of Danielle Deveney and Hannah Marks. “I am really looking forward to working with Irish Breeders and with the team at the ITBA,” said O'Reilly. “I hope to be able to deliver support and success to Irish breeders and to drive forward the ITBA with the help of its dedicated Council and committee members.” Cathy Grassick, chairman of the ITBA, said, “On behalf of the ITBA Council, I am delighted that Peter O'Reilly has accepted this position to represent and support the breeders of Ireland. I look forward to working with Peter and wish him the very best in his new role. While this is an exciting appointment for the ITBA it is also tinged with sadness as this position was held by the late Una Tormey, our previous ITBA chief executive who was so dedicated in her work. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank interim CEO Pat Keogh for his excellent work and support in his time with the ITBA.” The post Peter O’Reilly New Chief Executive At ITBA appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
  • Topics