• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Super Photon won easily in Te Rapa's main race today, 2yo 1400. Tellingly jockey McNab was honest (read BRAVE, enough) to say despite winning the horse did not handle the track conditions (over watered..my words).  I accept interest starts to wane by late autumn for many but this  fixation with over watering IMO  is losing turnover because trust is out the window. Here is a question; did the warm fav Domain Ace get well beaten by not seeing out the step up to 1400m or was it it due to another dodgy track?
    • Trainers Tony & Calvin McEvoy and jockey Jamie Kah celebrated a momentous victory on Saturday with talented filly Coco Sun coming up the inside to win the 2024 South Australian Oaks at Morphettville. Coco Sun (pictured in 2023) won the 2024 SA Derby on the quick back-up off a third in the Oaks. Photo: Jenny Barnes. This triumph marks Kah’s first ever Group 1 win in her home state, making the occasion even more special. Coco Sun, a beautifully bred daughter of The Autumn Sun, entered the race after a close third-place finish in the Group 1 Australasian Oaks (2000m) the prior week. Despite the quick turnaround, Kah remained confident about the filly’s ability to handle the demanding South Australian Derby (2500m). “Very exciting. These are the races we like to win,” co-trainer Tony McEvoy declared after the race. “This filly is a really good filly. “Kah was so bullish about backing her up. “She had so much faith in her. She wanted to bounce out and put her there (on speed). The only question I had was the 2500 (metres)…but you don’t argue with Jamie Kah! “She just gave her a beautiful trip and the filly ran it beautifully. “She’s (Kah has) been a star forever and I love her. “Very special.” Kah delivered a masterful ride, positioning Coco Sun perfectly in third place on the inside, saving ground in the box seat before flashing up the rails once on the straight. This tactical brilliance allowed them to avoid having to go around any rival, ultimately securing them the victory. Andrew Gluyas’ Air Assault led the pack for much of the race, but with 250m remaining, Kah made her move. Coco Sun surged ahead, holding off a late challenge from the fast-finishing Warmonger from the back to claim victory by a comfortable 1.3 lengths. Air Assault, despite leading for a significant portion of the race after crossing from out wide, displayed admirable stamina to finish a close third and round out the SA Derby trifecta. Following this impressive win, McEvoy has confirmed that the Group 1 $700,000 Queensland Oaks (2200m) at Eagle Farm on June 8th is the likely next stop for Coco Sun, barring any unforeseen setbacks. “I think there’s five weeks now until the Queensland Oaks,” McEvoy noted. “If she’s well, we’ll go to the Oaks.” Coco Sun’s performance has certainly captured the attention of punters, with Ladbrokes placing her at $7 to win the Queensland Oaks. This South Australian Oaks victory is a significant milestone for both Coco Sun and her connections. With the Queensland Oaks on the horizon, the future looks bright for this talented filly. 2024 SA Derby Results Finish No. Horse Trainer Jockey Margin Bar. Weight Penalty Starting Price 1 15 COCO SUN Tony & Calvin McEvoy Ms Jamie Kah 8 54.5kg $5 2 7 WARMONGER (NZ) Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Damian Lane 1.3L 12 56.5kg $6 3 3 AIR ASSAULT Andrew Gluyas Jason Holder 2L 11 56.5kg $26 4 1 ANTRIM COAST (NZ) Stephen Marsh Michael Dee 3.7L 5 56.5kg $7.50 5 16 AHURIRI (NZ) Chris Waller Craig Williams 4.2L 9 54.5kg $4.80F 6 12 TULSA KING Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Jake Toeroek 4.4L 15 56.5kg $31 7 5 GOLD WOLF (NZ) David & Coral Feek Neil Farley 5.6L 1 56.5kg $31 8 4 BOLD SOUL (NZ) Patrick Payne Jake Noonan 5.7L 10 56.5kg $9 9 8 OUTOVSTOCK (NZ) Chad Ormsby Opie Bosson 6.2L 16 56.5kg $15 10 13 STEEL BLAZE Brett Lazzarini Dom Tourneur 8.7L 7 56.5kg $101 11 14 WARIALDA WARRIOR John Ramsey Darryl McLellan 8.9L 14 56.5kg $61 12 11 JUST BERRILLIANT Ricky Maund Jeffrey Maund 10.9L 6 56.5kg $61 13 10 SHINJUKU (NZ) Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Todd Pannell 12.1L 2 56.5kg $61 14 2 SUNSETS Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young Jacob Opperman 13.5L 3 56.5kg $18 15 9 A SAMURAI MIND Dan Clarken & Oopy MacGillivray Lachlan Neindorf 13.6L 4 56.5kg $31 16 6 GLAD YOU THINK SO John Sargent Blake Shinn 112.1L 13 56.5kg $13 19e JUST EXPLOSIVE (NZ) Simon Zahra 0 18e MAPUTO Pat Carey & Harris Walker Rhys McLeod 0 17e ZAKOUMA Pat Carey & Harris Walker 0 Table Credit: Racing Australia. This page and the written content within it were partially generated using AI or automated technology and edited and verified by our editorial team. THINK. IS THIS A BET YOU REALLY WANT TO PLACE? For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au. The post 2024 SA Derby Results: Coco Sun Makes History, Queensland Oaks Next? appeared first on HorseRacing.com.au. View the full article
    • Coco Sun winning at Bendigo on April 13, 2024. (Photo by Scott Barbour/Racing Photos) Jockey Jamie Kah claimed her maiden Adelaide Group 1 success when steering Coco Sun to victory in the Group 1 SA Derby (2500m) at Morphettville. Trained by Tony & Calvin McEvoy, the three-year-old filly was on the quick seven-day backup after finishing third in the Group 1 Australasian Oaks (2000m) seven days prior. Having stepped cleanly from the barriers, Jamie Kah took her time to get Coco Sun (+400) towards the front of the field, and could not have landed a better spot, on the heels of race leader Air Assault (+3300) leaving the home straight. Coco Sun managed to stalk the leader throughout and despite a majority of rivals making their move approaching the home turn, Kah bided her time perfectly and turning for home, Coco Sun kicked clear. Warmonger (+550) made up a stack of ground from the rear of the field, with Air Assault sticking on for third. There was to be no doubting the winner though, as Jamie Kah celebrated maiden Group 1 success at her old stomping ground. 2024 Group 1 SA Derby Replay – Coco Sun Coco Sun’s victory was Tony & Calvin McEvoy’s first success in the SA Derby, and Tony was quite impressed following the race. “Very exciting. These are the races we like to win,” he said. “This filly, she’s a really good filly. Calvin (co-trainer and son) was here last week, and both he and Jamie (Kah) were so bullish about backing her up. “Jamie had so much faith in her. She said to me she wanted to bounce out and put her there, and the only question I had was the 2500 (metres), but you don’t argue with Jamie Kah. “She gave her just a beautiful trip and the filly stayed it beautifully.” Following her win on The Map in the Group 3 Queen Elizabeth II Cup the race prior, Jamie Kah secured a clean sweep of the Morphettville features on SA Derby Day. “I had a great ride today. I had a great ride last weekend, but it obviously didn’t go my way,” Kah said. “Today it did, and for the old boss too. He’s put up with me for a long time. “I had so many years here riding with Tony and so many winners and he looked after me so well, so it’s nice to repay him. “He put up with a lot of rubbish back in the day too. “All that I wanted to do was ride a Group 1 winner in Adelaide in front of Mum and Dad and family, and all those that have supported me.” Horse racing news View the full article
    • Kintyre returns after taking out the Group 2 Queensland Guineas at Eagle Farm. Photo: Darren Winningham On the back of claiming Group 3 glory at Randwick in the stewards room last time out, there was no doubt about Kintyre’s win in the Group 2 Queensland Guineas (1600m) at Eagle Farm. The three-year-old gelding trained by Gary Portelli took his earnings to upwards of $700,000 with Saturday’s success, aided by a gun ride from young Cejay Graham. The pair jumped cleanly enough from the barriers to take advantage of barrier two when landing the box seat throughout. Kintyre (+800) was racing well within himself as he approached the home turn, and as Captain Fenkel (+4000) started to fade, Kintyre and eventual runner-up Razors (+1300) staked their claim with 300m to go. In a back-and-forth tussle, it was Cejay Graham who stuck closer to the inside that got the better of Razors in a driving finish, with Press Link (+600) finishing off well into third. It was all honours to Kintyre and connections, with the Group 1 Queensland Derby (2400m) on the agenda, but not concreted into the plans. 2024 Group 2 Queensland Guineas Replay – Kintyre The win handed Gary Portelli his first win in the race, and was quick to heap praise on Cejay Graham in the process, while pouring cold water on a potential QLD Derby tilt. “I’ve been watching Cejay since I came up here, she rode a winner for me on Spaceboy and helped me out when we had Fireburn up here, so I wanted to repay her for helping me out. “I put her on this horse in a Group 2, I told her not to be worried about going up the inside because it’s not inferior ground. “He’s a tough horse and she rode him a treat.” “He’ll go to the Rough Habit Plate in a fortnight’s time, I’m just a bit worried about him seeing out 2400m. “I don’t want to ruin a nice horse because he’s got a big future. I’d love to have a crack at the Golden Eagle next prep.” Following her first Group success as a jockey, Cejay Graham was left somewhat speechless post-race. “It feels incredible, I don’t have the words to describe it really. To be given this opportunity was surreal, and to salute feels incredible,” Graham said. “I didn’t think I would get these opportunities with the time I’ve had off, but to be back here and winning that race makes every bit of hard work worthwhile.” “I couldn’t be more grateful to Gary and the owners. “Gary has been such a big supporter of female jockeys for many years, and hopefully this will put me in good stead as I come out of my apprenticeship.” Horse racing news View the full article
    • Common sense is really not that common !😊
  • Topics