• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Common sense is really not that common !😊
    • The Map winning on Melbourne Cup Day last year. (Photo by George Sal/Racing Photos) Favourite backers were happy with themselves a long way out from home as The Map (+100) made a mess of her rivals in the Group 3 Queen Elizabeth II Cup (2500m) at Morphettville. Having not been since finishing second in the Group 2 Adelaide Cup (3200m), Dan Clarken and Oopy MacGillivray opted to give their classy mare a seven-week fresh-up heading into the race. With eventual runner-up Crimson Vine (+1000) setting a moderate tempo over the staying trip, the race was always going to come down to who would sprint the best. Despite rank outsider Wolf Prince (+6000) putting in a bold run nearing the home turn, race favourites The Map and First Immortal (+200) were biding their time in a midfield position. As Crimson Vine regained the lead at the top of the straight, First Immortal loomed up, but in doing so gave The Map a perfect tow into the race. When Jamie Kah asked for the ultimate effort, the five-year-old responded in kind and kicked clear with 300m to go and put 3.7 lengths on her rivals. 2024 Group 3 Queen Elizabeth II Cup Replay – The Map Following the win, co-trainer Oopy MacGillivray was quick to declare the stables hand, confirming The Map would next be seen in the Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes (2800m) on May 18 at Flemington. “Let’s hope she pulls up from this and she can go to May 18 and the Andrew Ramsden and we can get that Golden Ticket,” she told Racing.com post-race as they hunt a spot in the Melbourne through the win-and-your win Andrew Ramsden. “When they go out at $1.90, or whatever, you’re always relieved. Also I just love that horse and every time she does something like that, my heart explodes. “She tried her heart out. I just love her.” Having steered The Map to victory on Melbourne Cup Day last year, Jamie Kah was clearly ecstatic following the pair’s win. “Every time I ride for The Map for these guys, it feels like I win a Group 1. It’s awesome, it’s a great feeling,” Kah said. “She felt like a 1200-metre horse then. I just had to coast and cruise on her everywhere. “We were hoping for that in the Adelaide Cup, but maybe we just have to wait for the Melbourne Cup.” Following the win, The Map is a +2500 chance in Melbourne Cup betting markets with horse racing bookmakers. Horse racing news View the full article
    • Not to mention the councils around nz are broke, and rates are forecast to rise significantly  power and insurance mortgage rates all high, so the battle for the dollar is going to be a tough one, I'm just pleased to have employment. 
    • Antino ridden by Vlad Duric takes out the Group 2 Victory Stakes at Eagle Farm. Photo: Darren Winningham New Zealand-bred star Antino put a frustrating spring campaign behind him with a superb first-up performance in Saturday’s A$300,000 Group 2 Victory Stakes (1200m) at Eagle Farm. The son of Redwood appeared to have the world at his feet at around this time last year, winning eight of his first nine races including the Listed Wayne Wilson (1600m) at Eagle Farm in June. But Antino’s raids on Melbourne and Sydney in the spring were plagued by bad luck. He won the Group 3 Sandown Stakes (1500m) but had more than his share of excuses when finishing fourth in the Listed The Sofitel (1400m), second in the Group 1 Toorak Handicap (1600m), second in the Group 2 Crystal Mile (1600m) and outside the placings in the Five Diamonds (1800m) at Rosehill on November 11. Saturday’s Victory Stakes was the five-year-old’s first start since then, and his sixth and fifth placings in a pair of lead-up trials did little to inspire confidence. But he returned to race-day competition on Saturday and showed his true colours. Ridden for the first time by Vlad Duric, Antino was slow to leave the starting gates and appeared to be struggling to stay in touch with the field for most of the race. But Duric cut back to the rail in the straight and drove him through the inside of Wee Nessy, lifting and stretching out superbly to overpower that rival and win by a length. 2024 Victory Stakes replay – Antino “That was a massive win,” Duric said. “All the plans I thought I had in my head for this race went out the window at the jump. He was off the bridle the whole way and just couldn’t keep up. “I decided to just switch across to the fence and ride up the fence, and it was a massive performance to get up and win. He was beautiful through to the post and is in for a great preparation.” Antino has now had 15 starts for 10 wins, three placings and A$904,415 in stakes, with trainer Tony Gollan working backwards from the Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) on June 15. “I get nervous when this horse trials, when he jumps out, when he races, everything, because he’s just got so much ability,” Gollan said. “The one thing I said to Vlad before he went out is that this horse really can sustain a long run – longer than any horse I’ve ever trained. And he certainly had to do that today. Not only was he slow out, but he was off the bridle mid-race and just never travelled. He made really, really hard work of it. “But I knew, once they got inside the last furlong, they were never going to beat him. He just puts those ears back and he has a go. He’s a different beast. He’s not like any horse I’ve ever trained. “Full credit to Vlad. He was a late booking for the ride when Mark Zahra got suspended, so he sat on him for the first time on Wednesday and didn’t know a whole lot about him. But we got the job done today. “He will certainly rocket into Stradbroke calculations now, if he wasn’t there already. He’ll probably run in the Kingsford-Smith (Group 1, 1300m) here in a month, which will set him up nicely for the Stradbroke.” View the full article
    • Consistent galloper Discretion Rules cracked his maiden victory in fine style after a string of minor placings when taking out the Listed Berkley Stud Champagne Stakes (1200m) at Riccarton. The son of Alabama Express is prepared by Mark Walker and Sam Bergerson from their Riccarton base and had the misfortune of striking star stablemate Nucleozor at his first three starts, where he placed third then second in consecutive runs, before finding the top step of the podium at his fourth attempt. Bounced away nicely from barrier four by Niranjan Parmar, Discretion Rules sat outside pacemaker Great Time before assuming control at the 300m. Parmar asked for a serious effort, and he shot way by three lengths before holding out the late challenges of Cambridge visitor Ziggy Stardust and the second Walker and Bergerson runner in Colonel Warden. Te Akau Racing Manager Reece Trumper was on hand to witness the victory and was quick to praise the ride by their stable apprentice. “It was a great ride by Parmar as he put him in a lovely position where he relaxed beautifully,” Trumper said. “The step up to 1200m was a question mark but Parmar gave him a treat of a ride and that is why he is the leading apprentice (43 wins) at present. “Colonel Warden was also really good as he flattened out well and will improve with the run, so he won’t be taking long to win one.” Walker was also taken with the performance. “It was a really good win today,” he said. “He’d obviously been going great races behind his stable-mate Nucleozor, but it was good to see him get his Maiden win in a Listed race. “He’s a yearling that Dave (Ellis) bought before we knew how good the sire (Alabama Express) was going to be. He’s a very promising sire and we were very impressed with his yearlings throughout the sales series, at Magic Millions, Sydney, and Melbourne. He’s got a lovely line of young horses. “We’re going to give him a break now, because he’s had four starts since early March, so it’s great for him to gain a valuable win before going out.” Raced by the Te Akau Non-Stop Express Racing Partnership Discretion Rules was purchased by Te Akau Racing Boss David Ellis for $165,000 from the Highline Thoroughbreds draft during the Book 1 sale at Karaka in 2023. He is out of the Zoustar mare Miss Madonna and comes from an extended family that includes a colt (now stallion) with an outstanding record for the stable in Sword Of State who won six races, including the Gr.1 Diamond Stakes (1200m) at Ellerslie before being named Champion Two-Year-Old in New Zealand for the 2020 racing season. Sword Of State is now resident at Cambridge Stud and will stand during the 2024 breeding season for a fee of $15,000 + GST. View the full article
  • Topics