Bit Of A Yarn

Really ???? Harness Drivers told not to be happy during pre-lims.

Rangatira

• Chief Stipe changed the title to Really ???? Harness Drivers told not to be happy during pre-lims.
20 hours ago, Rangatira said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b7472a6b56c80f30893c56e1d7f1754e.jpeg

Are we allowed to laugh at the comments about drivers laughing pre race? I can understand where they are coming from but i think they are well off the mark if they think punters care at all about that. Over the years i've never heard anyone ever comment about that occuring in a prelimanary. I think someone should actually be saying,hey,this is going a step too far fellas.

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Are we allowed to laugh at the comments about drivers laughing pre race? I can understand where they are coming from but i think they are well off the mark if they think punters care at all about that. Over the years i've never heard anyone ever comment about that occuring in a prelimanary. I think someone should actually be saying,hey,this is going a step too far fellas.

I'm laughing. Never heard that brought up ever . seems like just another furball 😹.

Something to worry about , when there's nothing left to grizzle about as to why your horse lost. Someone should tell the complaintants the main reason the horse got beat they punted on was because every other runner on the track/ in the race was trying to Beat it to the Winning Post ..........and Not because a driver didn't have his/her 'race-face' on 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

License holders are reliant on turnover from the wagering public!

So prey tell me why we are on betting restrictions???

Reliant on turnover but anyone winning hurts the yield so they get cut. I can see where you are coming from but I can also see the business side from TAB. You can't have it both ways. 

4 hours ago, the galah said:

How often do you see the prelims on TV?  If you are on course you generally watch them parade first and then go out on the track - go have a bet or a beer!

8 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Reliant on turnover but anyone winning hurts the yield so they get cut. I can see where you are coming from but I can also see the business side from TAB. You can't have it both ways. 

So it is not about betting turnover at all?

They need to be upfront with everyone and tell them they only want losing punters watching and betting on harness, otherwise if you are good at punting, dont bother!

18 hours ago, Brodie said:

They need to be upfront with everyone and tell them they only want losing punters watching and betting on harness, otherwise if you are good at punting, dont bother!

You say that like everybody is a winning punter. You have to remember only about 2% of punters are actually capable of making a consistent profit so if they cut those 2% out it is neither here nor there to them and they still have 98% of the punters still betting and the yield goes up by restricting the winning punters.

I like your method of letting every tom dick and harry on for as much as they like, but if you and I and a few other winning punters load up and start taking 20 million a year out of the distribution to harness racing and the stakes get cut in half how do you plug this hole?

What is the Brodie fix for this?  How are you going to stop this happening?

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

You say that like everybody is a winning punter. You have to remember only about 2% of punters are actually capable of making a consistent profit so if they cut those 2% out it is neither here nor there to them and they still have 98% of the punters still betting and the yield goes up by restricting the winning punters.

I like your method of letting every tom dick and harry on for as much as they like, but if you and I and a few other winning punters load up and start taking 20 million a year out of the distribution to harness racing and the stakes get cut in half how do you plug this hole?

If they have 98% being losing punters then they should be prepared to let a minimal 2% be winners, surely.

David Seymour when he is in power is going to have someone looking at all the BS policies and red tape crap and hopefully loosen up on the AML BS limit of $1k.

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

John allen once said the top 1.5% pf their customers produce 56% of turnover.

Its just logic that the top 1.5% are more likely to be the successful punters given they can afford to create the higher turnover.

From that it justs logic to conclude that if you implement policies that make it less attractive for that top 1.5% to spend and return profits,then you will directly impact the overall spend on the tote as well.

There are several ways that the tab has made it unattractive for winning punters.Some of it has been fair play and others it has not.

So when people say that its as simple as reducing the winning returns of winning punters on the ff....and that will lead to the tab giving larger returns to the harness racing industry,well that is over simplyfying things.That completely ignores the impact that has on tote betting turnovers. In fact,i believe it is a direct cause of reducing tote turnovers. I know people who can point to the amounts that they have reduced their tote turnovers as proof.

• Champ Post 2

You only have to look at most of the tote pools now, they are much reduced to what they used to be and that doesnt take into account of inflation.

Yes punters are betting into the fixed odds, but the amounts being allowed on by the So called Bookies arent that big, as most of the bets announced on Trackside are not significant wagers at all.

Questionable how harness is going to be able to grow, when punters are not allowed on for reasonable amounts, as the Bookies have got no appetite at all to take on the Punter!

Havent bothered having an investment on Harness Racing for many weeks now as not worth my time with the TAB policies.

I can afford not to have to offload on racing, however I do know that the TAB can not afford to continue to lose punters.

Without attracting new punters then the racing is going to go backwards unfortunately!

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Bookies have got no appetite at all to take on the Punter

If the system NZ are using is similar to the UK then risk will be all done by computer now and it is not a case of the bookies taking you on. Once the prices are set in the system, the computer  algorithms will determine how much you are allowed to bet based on your previous betting record. Traders on the floor might get a popup if you try to bet over the limits and will have the ability to cancel the bet if the liability is too great. At least that is how it is done in the UK.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nowornever said:

If the system NZ are using is similar to the UK then risk will be all done by computer now and it is not a case of the bookies taking you on. Once the prices are set in the system, the computer  algorithms will determine how much you are allowed to bet based on your previous betting record. Traders on the floor might get a popup if you try to bet over the limits and will have the ability to cancel the bet if the liability is too great. At least that is how it is done in the UK.

Exactly my point!

Bookies not prepared to let Punters on for worthwhile amounts due to previous performance!

I was under the impression that it is a gambling business and they should be taking the  bad with the good?

If they maintain their current stance, racing is in dire problems!

The restrictions thing is part of the puzzle,but there are other just as importantreasons as well.

The lack of access to tab's that place any emphasis on customer service is a major problem. From my recent experiences,Go to any christchurch tab and its either one of those self service  machines and it generally takes about a minute or two for someone in front of you to put on a bet and like brodie has said ,doesn't pay out in cash anyway. I used such a machine a couple of times in the last month and both times had to then work out with a fella ,how much i owed him because he hadn't cashed out. I think the problem there was this fella was the only one in the tab both times and no one else was using the machine and it caught him by surprise that anyone else would come in and have a bet.

The customer service at these tab's is a joke. Every time i go into any tab and try and use the terminal where there are operators i am completely ignored by their staff. I just stand there for 5 minutes while the staff just chat to each other,not serving anyone at the bar. Its pathetic customer service. Every time,guaranteed,i have to go to them and ask them to walk 10 steps down the bar to serve me. I either get an apolpogy,which i know is fake as they had already seen me, or i get a grumpy look.

Tab customer service at tab outlets is a joke and very frustrating. No wonder theres hardly anyone using them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the galah said:

The customer service at these tab's is a joke. Every time i go into any tab and try and use the terminal where there are operators i am completely ignored by their staff. I just stand there for 5 minutes while the staff just chat to each other,not serving anyone at the bar. Its pathetic customer service. Every time,guaranteed,i have to go to them and ask them to walk 10 steps down the bar to serve me. I either get an apolpogy,which i know is fake as they had already seen me, or i get a grumpy look.

Tab customer service at tab outlets is a joke and very frustrating. No wonder theres hardly anyone using them. 

They are probably under instruction from their managers.  There is stuff all profit in having a pub TAB.  The additional costs that the pub has to cough up makes them unprofitable.  The TAB doesn't pay enough.

That said I don't understand why the TAB doesn't leverage off its network to each location and allow free internet access thereby promoting their phone app. 

On 10/5/2023 at 11:13 AM, Gammalite said:

I'm laughing. Never heard that brought up ever . seems like just another furball 😹.

Something to worry about , when there's nothing left to grizzle about as to why your horse lost. Someone should tell the complaintants the main reason the horse got beat they punted on was because every other runner on the track/ in the race was trying to Beat it to the Winning Post ..........and Not because a driver didn't have his/her 'race-face' on 

The same person probably also came up with another brilliant idea to have cigarette lighters on the end of coat hangers. Next projects are a one wheeled car and a five wheeled motorcycle   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

They are probably under instruction from their managers.  There is stuff all profit in having a pub TAB.  The additional costs that the pub has to cough up makes them unprofitable.  The TAB doesn't pay enough.

That said I don't understand why the TAB doesn't leverage off its network to each location and allow free internet access thereby promoting their phone app. 

I can't understand them ignoring the tab terminal when the staff aren't doing anything anyway a lot of the time..  I've noticed the service at the couple i occasionally vist seems to be getting worse in the last year.

I've also noticed that the older staff at some bars occasionally try to serve the tab terminal and the younger staff just couldn't care whether you stood at their tab terminal all day gathering dust and cobwebs.

Wouldn't you think the the TAB had some sort of system in place to monitor how their product was being handled by those with tab outlets.It seems the TAB couldn't care less how bad the things have gotten . Ring the TAB  and complain,then go back to the same bar a month later and i will gaurantee nothing will have changed.

It reminds me of my wife going into ballantynes and buying a handbag last year. The store says you can return them within so many days. Well my wife had bought about 7 or 8 handbags there and had returned 2 of them within the time frame allowed. Well when she went in to get another one they told her she wouldn't be able to return it even if the store had a policy that said she could. She was treated so poorly by the ballantynes staff that a customer who was waiting to be served behind her complained to management and management somehow tracked us down and gave her a nice voucher and an apology. Well my wife went in the following week to get that handbag that she had wanted the week before and was firstly ignored by their staff,then again told she couldn't return the handbag,which she wouldn't have anyway.My wife just left and told them to stick it and their voucher. I had spent about $5000 buying clothes,shoes,and a small appliance at ballantynes in the previous 6 months,but now will never ever step foot in any of there stores ever again.

Provide poor customer service and customers just won't come back.

No I don't use their app much because the reception is normally poor even though i live in a populated area..My wife does a bit and says the app's shit anyway.I think part of that is the poor reception. I have spoken to others who have said the same thing. 

Edited by the galah