Bit Of A Yarn

Great Summer Racing

Mark D

Taupo, Kurow, Reefton all big crowds great atmosphere.  But we got rid of Waipukarau, Thames, Wairoa, Gisborne etc for no good reason.  It didn't have to be that way.

PS Don't enyone try and give me the reasons.  I've heard them all and they're all unmitigated 100% BULLSHIT

• Like 6
  • Champ Post 1

41 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Taupo, Kurow, Reefton all big crowds great atmosphere.  But we got rid of Waipukarau, Thames, Wairoa, Gisborne etc for no good reason.  It didn't have to be that way.

PS Don't enyone try and give me the reasons.  I've heard them all and they're all unmitigated 100% BULLSHIT

Also Omakau and Waikouaiti no longer with us. When I look at all the 5,6 and 7 horse fields in the first 5 races at Taupo and some of the tiny fields at HB and Tauherenikau it does make me think that surely Omakau would have managed to attract more horses than all of those meetings. The SI doesn't even run 2yo racing while Tauherenikau is happy to run a 4 horse field.

Every year I wonder what sort of effort the clubs make to attract horses to Taupo, HB and Tauherenikau. It seems such a pity to get massive crowds and very small fields each year. I'm sure the clubs do try but is there anything else that can be done?

Certainly looks like a brilliant crowd at Kurow.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

43 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Also Omakau and Waikouaiti no longer with us. When I look at all the 5,6 and 7 horse fields in the first 5 races at Taupo and some of the tiny fields at HB and Tauherenikau it does make me think that surely Omakau would have managed to attract more horses than all of those meetings. The SI doesn't even run 2yo racing while Tauherenikau is happy to run a 4 horse field.

Every year I wonder what sort of effort the clubs make to attract horses to Taupo, HB and Tauherenikau. It seems such a pity to get massive crowds and very small fields each year. I'm sure the clubs do try but is there anything else that can be done?

It's hard to attract horses when there aren't enough.

Yip pretty shit call by those that think they know what the are on about. And still a shame that the gallops here in Blenheim got canned as well. I mean ,yes it was a Kevin Myers benefit but trainers did come for the 2 days,but hey the know it all's seem to know what they were doing,right??.

23 hours ago, Doomed said:

Thames was such a great Xmas holiday meeting. Had a real picnic feel, the Thames Cup & feature sprint race, both have been won by some handy horses.

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yip pretty shit call by those that think they know what the are on about. And still a shame that the gallops here in Blenheim got canned as well. I mean ,yes it was a Kevin Myers benefit but trainers did come for the 2 days,but hey the know it all's seem to know what they were doing,right??.

Was always a good meeting up there, but sadly joins a long list of scratchings of successful small meetings, started at Nelson they had a nice galloping surface, and and wide track, Westport also a tidy course, and now are joined by many more recently, I enjoy the smaller racing circuits, nice to be close to the action.