Bit Of A Yarn

Tony Lee signing off - reluctantly.

Racing: Last call at Hastings track for one of NZ’s best commentators
www.nzherald.co.nz
Commentator Tony Lee will call his last race on the Hastings track on Saturday, January 6.

Tony Lee, undoubtedly one of the best race commentators New Zealand has had, will make his last call on the Hastings track on Saturday (January 6) as he nears the end of an outstanding time behind the microphone in this country.

After a career spanning almost 40 years, Lee’s contract with Trackside will end this month, with his last day of race calling being on Wellington Cup day at Trentham, on January 20.

Over the years Lee has endeared himself to everyone involved in the New Zealand racing scene, reeling off thousands of clear and precise race calls with the addition of plenty of colour when required.

Lee said this week he has been calling races at Hastings for more than 30 years, starting with Radio Pacific before taking over from the late Alan Bright in a more permanent role.

AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.

He rates Hastings as one of the best tracks in the country to call races from, with the commentator’s box positioned high up and back from the track.

“It gives you an outstanding view of the entire track and, having called so many races there now, you can usually judge which way the finish will go,” he said.

“It’s always special to call races in the Bay, especially in the spring time when the Group 1 races are run.”

Asked what has been some of his more memorable race calls on the Hastings track, Lee said the wins by Australian raider Starcraft in two of the Group 1 features at the 2004 spring carnival; Xcellent’s last-to-first win in the 2005 Mudgway Stakes; Princess Coup’s win in the 2007 Kelt Capital Stakes and Melody Belle’s six Group 1 wins from 2018 to 2020 were some that come to mind.

“Starcraft was a special horse and his effort to get up and win the Mudgway Stakes that year was quite outstanding, coming from lengths off the pace at the 200 to produce giant strides for jockey Leith Innes,” he said.

Starcraft also won the second leg of the Hawke’s Bay Group 1 “Triple Crown” that year, when ridden by Australian jockey Glen Boss, only to be beaten by Balmuse in the Kelt Capital Stakes on the last day.

“I remember Dummy (Kevin) Myers, the trainer of Balmuse, was wearing a new suit that day so that should have been an omen,” he quipped.

Always the ultimate professional, Lee has had to work under sufferance at times, never more so than when calling Xcellent home in his 2005 Mudgway Stakes win.

“I remember I was crook with the flu that day and it had attacked my voice box. With the help of medication I was managing to get through the day and when I could see Xcellent coming I had to let go.”

As the big horse powered down the outside to get up in the last few strides, Lee’s voice reached fever pitch, describing the performance as: “Amazing…. he is a superstar.”

Princess Coup recorded back-to-back wins in the Kelt Capital Stakes, in 2007 and 2008, and it was the first one that Lee remembers best, when ridden by Noel Harris.

“She was only going to run a good third or fourth with 200 to run that day but got up in the last stride, like only Harry (Harris) could do.”

Melody Belle became the first horse to win the Hawke’s Bay Group 1 “Triple Crown” in 2019 and Lee said it was a privilege to call her home in those three victories. The champion mare also won the Tarzino Trophy and Windsor Park Plate in 2018 and the Livamol Classic in 2020.

Another great memory Lee has of the Hastings track was when he called Sunline home to win the 2002 Mudgway Stakes, in what was her last New Zealand race appearance.

“The crowd that day was huge. Everyone expected her to win and she did it in style, staving off a late challenge from Tit For Taat.”

One of Lee’s most famous race calls was when Castletown recorded the third of his three Wellington Cup wins in 1994, his commentary coming to a crescendo in the final stages when he said: “But the dream burst into reality with Castletown winning the cup again, and his third.”

“That one got me on my way. It wasn’t the best of calls to be fair but people picked up on it and it became a bit of folklore.”

Lee said one of the most satisfying aspects of being a race commentator has been the enjoyment of meeting a lot of nice people involved in the New Zealand racing industry.

“I am very sorry to be leaving but I’m happy with my career,” he added.

Dumbest call ever , and I don't mean Tony Lee.

Longshot but hope Hawkes Bay Racing and Kumara and whoever else can employ him to call their racedays. 

Otherwise he'll be off overseas and lost for good.

it's just not right

Sweenz will be gutted ... great combo

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kihikihi Kid said:

Longshot but hope Hawkes Bay Racing and Kumara and whoever else can employ him to call their racedays. 

it's just not right

Love to now who made the decision, but of course they are all anonymous these days.

11 hours ago, Kihikihi Kid said:

it's just not right

As much chance as him 'off overseas' as  you have of flying to the moon.

If I recall he made the biggest faux pas in commentating, by calling a Wellington Cup winner the wrong name for the entire race.Always tried to be 'too clever' imo.

• Champ Post 1

49 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

If I recall he made the biggest faux pas in commentating, by calling a Wellington Cup winner the wrong name for the entire race.Always tried to be 'too clever' imo.

I think that's a bit harsh. That wasn't the biggest faux pas in commentating. They all make mistakes, and he only got the name slightly wrong so everyone knew who he was talking about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holy ravioli said:

FFS you couldn't remember what you had for breakfast yesterday let alone 150 different horses and colours a day!

I found his commentaries fantastic.  Sure sometimes he made a rare mistake - all the good ones have.  I've got some great memories of his commentary calling my horses home first.

Jack O'donnell, Reon Murtha, Darren Tyquin, Tony Lee all told a story and made racing exciting and interesting.

I can quote excerpts from race commentaries they've made verbatim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS you couldn't remember what you had for breakfast yesterday let alone 150 different horses and colours a day!

I found his commentaries fantastic.  Sure sometimes he made a rare mistake - all the good ones have.  I've got some great memories of his commentary calling my horses home first.

Jack O'donnell, Reon Murtha, Darren Tyquin, Tony Lee all told a story and made racing exciting and interesting.

I can quote excerpts from race commentaries they've made verbatim.

I wonder if commentators listen to constructive criticism. Tony Lee used to have a problem of screaming at the finish of races and unfortunately his successor is far worse. Contrast this with Peter Kelly who would concentrate on style. Fluency during the running is key and the best once again was Peter Kelly and until recent times Tony Lee was great.

Current assessment of Justin Evans is "must tone it down" and stop being a compulsive talker.

• Like 2

You'd have to say he has been an outstanding commentator , but he is hanging up the mic and probably the right time. All beginnings have an end.

And to that note, why were they celebrating him doing his last meeting at Hastings, whats the significance?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huey said:

And to that note, why were they celebrating him doing his last meeting at Hastings, whats the significance?

The Clubs have been doing that all over the CD and it will happen at the Wellington Cup meeting.  A sign of appreciation for a job well done over a number of decades.  A novel concept in today's world.

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The Clubs have been doing that all over the CD and it will happen at the Wellington Cup meeting.  A sign of appreciation for a job well done over a number of decades.  A novel concept in today's world.

Understand the WRC doing it as its his last meeting, so of course that makes sense but every club across the CD seems like an overkill for mine. 

12 minutes ago, Huey said:

Understand the WRC doing it as its his last meeting, so of course that makes sense but every club across the CD seems like an overkill for mine. 

Why?  They all had their own individual relationship with Lee and they're all making their own decision are they not?

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why?  They all had their own individual relationship with Lee and they're all making their own decision are they not?

Well they are certainly diluting it , thats for sure.

He should be calling instead of Aaron. I heard him today at Cambridge, he gets excited every race, something is charging home with a chance of winning, but if ya sitting at home watching  you know otherwise. 

Nonsense, caller. The guy at Mot today not flash, I know he is filling in but we could find better

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Honestjohn said:

o

Some bedwetter stupid decision.  And now they are advertising new jobs for callers 

hj 

Maybe has something to do with Tony's attitude (and correctly) that he is a racecaller not a tipster and refused to supply tips. Wasn't he in the wilderness some time ago because one of those bedwetters didn't agree with that position. Wish said bedwetters would front. Yeah right they will.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

I for one will miss him. George seems to be in favour ATM. 

Hj

George makes more than a few mistakes himself.  And I'm not assassinating the guy, it would be a very difficult job to do.  Just pointing put that everyone makes mistakes.  

21 hours ago, Muzza said:

Maybe has something to do with Tony's attitude (and correctly) that he is a racecaller not a tipster and refused to supply tips. Wasn't he in the wilderness some time ago because one of those bedwetters didn't agree with that position. Wish said bedwetters would front. Yeah right they will.

Word is Tony is not a team player. Should read Tony is not an a...... licker!

Tony is one hell of a race caller! Wish him all the best and hope he is not lost forever!

• Like 3

Race calling was never in the brief of the TAB. They got into it by default firstly investing in Radio Pacific then setting up Trackside TV. All along if the racing codes had any real entrepreneurial nous they should have set up a standalone media company covering all forms of media e.g. internet. Rounding up advertisers is the backbone of media. I fail to see how most companies would reconcile with advertising in a gambling organisation.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why would it be a problem?  

Some would find it ok but as management is responsible to directors or shareholders most companies would steer clear of supporting gambling. Not so supporting racing clubs or racing in general. Conclusion: as I have said a standalone company.

Unfortunately all this talk will do nothing to keep Tony's job.  The decision has been made not to renew his contract like others before him.

The TAB would not win any awards for Employer of the Year and it looks as though Entain may be tarred with the same brush.

Something will turn up for Tony somewhere but that doesn't make how the situation was handled right.  What a prick of a job when every decision is so public!!  I bet it hurts like hell but one thing about Tony is he has broad shoulders.

Good luck Tony.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:04 PM, The Centaur said:

Some would find it ok but as management is responsible to directors or shareholders most companies would steer clear of supporting gambling. Not so supporting racing clubs or racing in general. Conclusion: as I have said a standalone company.

Sky Racing is part of Tabcorp.  Seen heaps of mainstream advertising on it.  Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Harvey Norman, Audi, Toyota and heaps of others.  Maybe the TAB need to give their advertising salesperson a hurry up or if they haven't got one, they could reassign one of their many product managers to the role.  First call they could make would be Gerry Harvey.  Should be an easy sell.

• Like 1