Bit Of A Yarn

Tony Lee signs off today

Media Insider: Top racing commentator loses role - but leaves today on a high

4 mins to read
Commentator Tony Lee will call his last race on the Hastings track today.

Commentator Tony Lee will call his last race on the Hastings track today.

DC3IJVXA2ZC5BKIWRSUJCKNW7I.jpg

One of New Zealand’s most respected sports commentators - horseracing caller Tony Lee - hangs up the binoculars and microphone today.

The Wellington Cup meeting at Trentham represents his final outing, after 40 years as a racing commentator. Race Three - the Farewell Tony Lee Premier - has been dedicated to him, as have been several other races at central New Zealand courses in recent weeks.

Lee, who is in his mid-60s, has been deeply touched by the industry’s support but it has not been a happy time over the past few months after Entain/TAB elected not to renew his contract.

In December, he told supporters on social media that he had been through a range of emotions. “Certainly annoyed, angry, hurt. All those things. But it’s been a great career - 40 years this year for me.”

He told Media Insider this week: “I didn’t think I deserved to be treated that way...”

He said he was told a younger caller - who he rates highly - had completed his training and would now be added to the fulltime staff roster. Lee, who has been on contract, would no longer be required.

He confirmed he had taken legal advice “reluctantly”. “I don’t want to get into that game because it just absorbs people... I’d rather enjoy myself.

“I definitely examined it [legal action]... it was either way, the call.”

His many supporters have taken to social media to discuss his departure.

One said Lee was a traditional caller, a professional focused on the horses themselves and did not buy into the marketing hype - reluctant, for instance, to promote the likes of Multibets before races.

Lee told Media Insider: “My feelings always are that they are spinning the wheel a lot and not acknowledging how the wheel is greased... like the horse. They didn’t acknowledge the horse.”

But he didn’t think that was the reason he was let go. “Historically I probably wasn’t that easy to deal with...”

In a statement to Media Insider, Entain managing director Cameron Rodger described Lee as a “tremendous caller” who had made an “enormous contribution”.

“Tony has contracted his services as a thoroughbred commentator to Trackside for many years, and as Tony’s latest contract has come to an end, this has given us the chance to maximise the use of our fulltime in-house commentator resources across all three racing codes, as well as calling on some of these fulltime resources for studio presenting when opportunities allow.”

The company had worked closely with Lee around his final meeting.

“We look forward to celebrating his career [today], as he mixes race calling with soaking up the day with family and friends.”

Lee says the support he has received from the industry and supporters has been “incredible”. “It’s huge.”

He’s approached the last week “day by day”.

He’s come up with some great lines over the years: “Put a fork in it, he’s done!” and, for another horse at the back of the field, “He’s got about as much chance of winning as a bed salesman selling a double bed to the Pope”.

He’s witnessed up close some of New Zealand’s mightiest racehorses - the likes of Sunline, Veandercross, Rough Habit, Castletown, and Melody Belle.

“So many!”

Punters will have fond memories of Sunline winning back-to-back Cox Plates. Photo / Herald Sun
Punters will have fond memories of Sunline winning back-to-back Cox Plates. Photo / Herald Sun

Lee says each course has its benefits. “Trentham on a good day in the summer is spectacular, for the racing as well. Some great finishes and wonderful races. Then you have Hawke’s Bay in the spring and looking forward to all the horses there. They all have different idiosyncrasies. Then there’s the rural courses like Tauherenikau, which is a bit more chill.”

He was given a presentation at trials on Wednesday. “Those things are reassuring that I didn’t get it that wrong. Maybe the other fellahs got it wrong.”

His family will be with him at Trentham today to mark and celebrate his final day.

“I’ve known for some time this is coming. It’s not a dreaded day, but a ‘this-is-it’ day so that sort of weighs a little heavily.

“But I’ve got to focus as well because I do want to celebrate the luck that I’ve had being able to do this job for a long time.

“I walk away a happy man... and satisfied. To get this recognition is very, very humbling and a little bit overwhelming as well. I’m very lucky and appreciative of the reaction of people - it validates me.”

• Editor-at-Large Shayne Currie is one of New Zealand’s most experienced senior journalists and media leaders. He has held executive and senior editorial roles at NZME including Managing Editor, NZ Herald Editor and Herald on Sunday Editor and has a small shareholding in NZME
  • Like 1

SENZ Radio - Total rubbish. Didn't hear a mention this morning of Tony Lee. The second hour of the show total rubbish. Mostly talk on Karaka Millions and sales. Not a word about Wellington Cup.

There must be some way of suing whoever owns the station for wasting listeners time. Why waste 10 minutes talking about delayed barrier draws for Karaka Million just baffling. Any humour on the show puerile and pathetic. At least Stephen Marsh who is experienced in media gave the first hour some plusses. The rest of the show just pathetic.

'“He’s got about as much chance of winning as a bed salesman selling a double bed to the Pope”.

This is a good example of what I regard as a commentator trying too hard to be ..clever.

Unnecessary and detracted from his calls.

Taking legal advice when your time is called is a common malaise...these days.

So its bad enough that Tony is given the 'dont come monday' but he doesn't get too call ALL of the races on his last day?. And what's more he doesn't call the last of the day. Unless for some reason that was Tony's decision,that just seems wrong in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

So its bad enough that Tony is given the 'dont come monday' but he doesn't get too call ALL of the races on his last day?. And what's more he doesn't call the last of the day. Unless for some reason that was Tony's decision,that just seems wrong in my opinion.

It was his decision.  He wanted to spend time with family and friends during the day as well as do some commentaries.

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I do think not doing the last race was a bad call , whoever decided that. I only tuned in to hear his last call and that wasn't it.

It was advertised a long way out that the Cup would be his last call.  At the end of the day it was Tony's choice to do it his way or I imagine not at all.  That's the very least his employers could have done for him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Huey said:

I do think not doing the last race was a bad call , whoever decided that. I only tuned in to hear his last call and that wasn't it.

TAB has gone all in on sport. They are right into scoring own goals. No need to retire Tony at all. Also old time racing punters would have been bewildered not having a tote double on the Thorndon and cup. Options on all other stupid eventualities but the one option likely to attract once a year punters deleted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Did Trackside do some sort of tribute to him yesterday, I didn’t watch all day. Maybe someone could share link, ta

I saw something probably last a couple of minutes, would say you didn't miss much.

Pretty much every person they had on camera paid tribute and Sweeney tried to cry .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Well I'll certainly miss his calls.  IMO a very good commentator and the nicest quality voice of them all.  Pretty easy to listen to.  Wry humor - and appeared to have a genuine affection for the horses.  Shame I won't hear you call another one of mine T Lee - but tbh, I won't be far behind you as you exit stage left.  Too tough for small owner breeders like me now.   I bow to the might of the dominant big studs and syndicators and ticket clippers and trough-feeders.  I'll see through the last handful of ponies I have and then leave you all to it. 

Kind wishes to those little people who stick around - I'll certainly cheer you on against increasingly tough odds - and raise a glass when you manage to pull it off.

J.  

Edited by jess
typo
  • Like 1

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes your observations aren't retired as well.

The small operator is finding it harder and harder, as you say - and as commented upon elsewhere, all the b/s and blather doesn't address the basic issues we all face.  Just costs more money.

• Like 2