Bit Of A Yarn

machette goneburger

Rangatira

Nomination fees mean the true racing follower has again missed out because the early nominations means the likes of Spakem didn’t nominate - on his Kaikoura run and run before  he would of been really competitive and added quality to a now average field .

There maybe more out there or sitting in Aussie like Spakem - especially with the defections - but the public will be left with a field with no depth or poor lead up form.

Nomination fees kill a chance of a Spakem making the field and rob the classic race of a late bloomer not getting a chance to run .

The big negative they do allow horses a start who have not deserved it !

To make it worst they steal the dumb punters early money with scratchinga every year with no refund - a good way to sour the harness punter and send his $ somewhere else .

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Portfolio said:

I have learnt, i never bet futures, lost plenty over the years. 

Why do the TAB and the Club promote them then - all they do is make a mockery of the field - pay up and you are  in the field - and robbing the punter which racing survives on .

Far to early market & nominations - creed which makes every sale of every horse ( cup class down to plonder ) look like a Christian charity with an excellent cause - so the fields get smaller and weaker .

Hope after the shambles of the last 2-3 years they review the rubbish.

Club and TAB ruining what was a great race .

Nominations and horse grading would suggest a field of no more than 12 should get a start -and  that’s a stretch - I would say  less .

But people have paid $$$ so will get a non deserved start and bugger the race - Dream About Me chopped at the start last year - by a low ranked horse !

But lesson was not learnt .

Edited by LongOwner

9 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

Why do the TAB and the Club promote them then - all they do is make a mockery of the field - pay up and you are  in the field - and robbing the punter which racing survives on .

Far to early market & nominations - creed which makes every sale of every horse ( cup class down to plonder ) look like a Christian charity with an excellent cause - so the fields get smaller and weaker .

Hope after the shambles of the last 2-3 years they review the rubbish.

Club and TAB ruining what was a great race .

Nominations and horse grading would suggest a field of no more than 12 should get a start -and  that’s a stretch - I would say  less .

But people have paid $$$ so will get a non deserved start and bugger the race - Dream About Me chopped at the start last year - by a low ranked horse !

But lesson was not learnt .

I agree long owner, there used to be a decent standard you had to meet before being a cup horse, that is now totally devalued.....On the other hand we would be lucky to have a field of 5 or 6 starting this year if that standard was still applied, what a shame our biggest race has come to this.

• Champ Post 1

23 minutes ago, Shad said:

Fools and their money are soon parted, tote odds on the day are better sometimes.

That doesn’t make the present cup process the right way to manage the sports previous Everest for Australsia - now the miracle mile in my opinion is the Everest as you have to be asked or qualify so best v’s the best .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

be great to see a horse like lochaburn win the cup for small owner trainer last start looked like he was coming into some form

Gee, that would be huge upset. Cant see it paying a div. 

I see on Box Seat tonight, Ultimate Mach may start in junior free for all if connections happy?? If he wins that, it will piss off those that backed him in cup fixedd odds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Unless, you have a bit of cash lying around and are brave.

image.png.2a1106fc0b9cdac9ff82d0c221c1515f.png

Ah, so late nominations are still possible (I mistakenly thought the cutoff was 1 Nov). Although, as you point out, requiring a decent chunk of change. Still, not an unreasonable amount given that the final is worth $500,000.

The $64K (or in this case $20K) question is whether a restored-to-health UM is going well enough to justify laying out the dosh.

• Champ Post 1