Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie Abandoned 10-April-24. They should have raced at AVONDALE

12 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Todays events are shocking for New Zealand racing industry. OK its bad news but it should be making it to TV news as news.

What the hell is wrong with those running Avondale Jockey club. I have been trying for weeks to get in contact with someone from there and I do have there their numbers. The main number has been disconnected and Manny Boyack the CEO is not answering his phone or messages. There was a time some 50 years ago that the plan was to run one meeting either Saturday or Wednesday in Auckland every week. I don't think Pukekohe can take much more racing. Its all f**k*d.

Why would they want to be bought into this Sh** Show, you can't blame them for not wanting to be effectively used and thrown on the heap afterwards (well thats NZTR plan) something thats going on across the country at several locations.

The real reason NZ racing is unlikely to make it beyond a decade is the constant prevalence of incompetence & no accountability and responsibility from those in leadership roles within the industry.

The NZ industry rewards incompetence and in some cases even encourages it, the stakes & Entain involvement are a big smoke screen.

Average off $100k races at Ellerslie will happen just through the sheer number of abandonments.  

Like another poster said , this is a 'HUGE' embarrassment for the sport in NZ, was the track rushed to be put together for Karaka Millions too early?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Special Agent said:

I'd hate to have my name on any racing board or Auckland club at the moment. What a fiasco!!

Don't worry give them time , they'll shift the blame & the industry will give them a get out of jail card for free because they are the chosen ones of NZracing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wingman said:

This track was supposed to be 'state of art'. At the moment there is an f missing and there is a lot of effing. What we require as an industry is to get this track, Ellerslie, right. The final sentence in the press release "we will work through the issues and come up with a plan going forward" says it loud and clear. The individuals responsible at both management and governance levels are , (a) been in charge too long and (b) are not capable of delivering competent profitable outcomes. Heads at general management, Executive and Board must roll. 

I don't agree, what we need is sensible decision making around tracks, Auckland doesn't need a track in town, one thats a pain in the B to get to & fro from.

What we really need in this country is tracks we can race on and the infrastructure built around them, doesn't matter where they are (preferably away from town centres though) , the clown show thinks we need tracks where the population is (so they can push the Grand Flop Tour and other pointless ventures) , unfortunately with urbanisation of areas nowadays that only adds to the pressure on these resources, we need tracks we can race on that can have races televised on them, that participants can easily access, that are made for the horse not just for man and most importantly racing we can wager on!

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Interesting the types of reactions from various stakeholders.

1. Those that forewarned and are labelled negative - should get the award for I told you so;
  2. Those that are supposedly positive - "rejoice in the fact we spent $50m+ and it will come right eventually";  (how many times have we heard that before?)
  3. Trainers that know there are problems (they've seen their casualty wards!) but keep quiet because they don't want to add any negativity to an industry struggling for participants;
  4. Trainers that know there are problems but are prepared to give it time because they don't really have any option;
  5. Frustrated owners who get the vet bills and lose races because of poor track conditions;
  6. Multi-horse owners who say "oh I've seen all this before.  You just have to take it on the chin as it's part of racing in NZ'';
  7. Any other types?

Seems to me the only ones with a real passion for the industry and have ideas to rise above mediocrity are those labelled negative!!!!

Meanwhile the migration to OZ continues.  Won't be long before horse bought at yearling sales in OZ won't be getting a flight to NZ.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Investigation underway after Ellerslie abandonment

loveracing.nz

An investigation is set to commence tomorrow morning (Thursday) into the abandonment of Ellerslie’s Wednesday meeting as a result of safety concerns following a slip on the venues newly installed StrathAyr track.

A decision was made to abandon the mid-week meeting following senior jockey Opie Bosson’s report of his horse, The Storyteller, slipping near the crossing following race three, which the Stephen Marsh-trained gelding won.

“Following race two we had concerns raised by a few of the jockeys in regards to the surface around the home turn,” Stipendiary Steward Lauren Selvakumaran said. “We convened a meeting with those jockeys and on the films it wasn’t apparent that there was any concern. At that time, they (jockeys) also agreed with that and were happy to keep riding.

“Post race three, concerns were raised again. We convened a meeting with jockeys, club officials, Stewards and NZTR (New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing) representatives in which Mr Bosson outlined he slipped near the crossing, so we went and had a look at the track and identified a slip mark where Mr Bosson had stated it had happened. We also drove around to the 450m mark and observed a few marks around that area.

“We weren’t satisfied with the surface being safe to continue.”

Selvakumaran said the idea of moving the rail was floated, but it was decided that wasn’t feasible given the time it would take.

“The rail was out 10m today which was the first time the rail has been at that position, so that may have played a part,” she said.

“It was suggested a possible rail move, but we just don’t have the time for that as it would take five-plus hours, so we would run out of daylight.”

Auckland Thoroughbred Racing chief executive Paul Wilcox was disappointed in the outcome and said the Club is working hard with relevant parties to rectify the issue.

“Naturally we are disappointed in relation to having an abandonment. We pride ourselves on doing things right, so we let ourselves down when this happens,” Wilcox said.

There were initial reports of horses slipping on Karaka Millions night in January, just the second meeting on the new surface, however, there have been no reports of such issues in subsequent meetings at the venue until Wednesday.

“From what we can ascertain, it is the same issue where the grass is matted and joins the sand profile, which is causing the slipperiness. We thought we had that under control and we obviously didn’t,” Wilcox said.

“All of those races subsequent to Karaka Millions night have been run without issue and all the jockeys have been happy with the surface. Today with the rail out 10m, which is ground that hasn’t been raced on, it has caused the same issue we experienced on Karaka Millions night.”

The track is set to undergo further renovation over winter, however, Wilcox said the club will meet with NZTR and StrathAyr representatives on Thursday morning to discuss the issue and work out a plan to try and rectify the issue ahead of their next meeting in 10 days’ time.

“After the last race meeting here (this season), which is the 25th of May, it (StrathAyr track) will get a heavy renovation and that will be focussing on removing that matting to ensure going forward that that can’t cause any issues. This time next year, it will be settled and hopefully racing perfectly,” Wilcox said.

“We have had a discussion with NZTR and we have got another meeting with them in the morning to work out a plan of attack so that we can have the confidence of our jockeys, owners, trainers and punters in our surface.”

NZTR chief operating officer Darin Balcombe feels for the participants affected by Wednesday’s abandonment and said the three parties will be working hard on Thursday to identify a remedy.

“We had a quick catch-up late this afternoon on the abandonment. We are going to meet again tomorrow morning and we have got StrathAyr coming over from Australia,” Balcombe said.

“We are going to have a look at what we can do going forward into next week and whether it is still viable to run that meeting next Saturday.

“We have got to do better. We can’t have these issues coming up and we have got to make sure that we get these fixes and make sure the tracks are improving.

“I am pretty gutted for the owners that would have gone to the course today and had to go home again without a race. I really feel for them.

“We will work through the issues and come up with a plan going forward and we will get that out to the industry at some stage tomorrow.”

They put this up on Love Racing FB page.  Many comments all negative.  Should put a dent in the buffoons in charge of NZ racing and the CEO of ATR who are all about perception.  When the reality is dire the perception will catch up no matter how much spin they put on it

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

"We pride ourselves on doing things right,” Wilcox said.

WHEN??

“We thought we had that under control and we obviously didn’t,” Wilcox said.

NO SHIT, SHERLOCK!!

How many times until it is unacceptable?

Like Chief said, to speak out prior to these disasters meant you were negative.  Is that another word for "correct"?

• Like 1

Plan of Action Formulated Following Investigation Into Ellerslie Racecourse Meeting Abandonment

Sent on behalf of Auckland Thoroughbred Racing and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing

In the wake of the abandonment of yesterday’s race meeting at Ellerslie Racecourse, Auckland Thoroughbred Racing (ATR), in conjunction with New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) advises a comprehensive investigation has been undertaken, resulting in an agreed plan of action that will be implemented to address safety concerns and ensure future racing success.

Yesterday’s race meeting was abandoned after Race 3 due to safety concerns arising from a slip on the newly-installed StrathAyr track.

ATR chief executive, Paul Wilcox, expresses his displeasure in what happened by saying, "We are disappointed in relation to having an abandonment. In upholding our commitment to excellence, instances like these are regrettable as they fall short of our standards."

He further emphasises, "We also understand the disappointment yesterday's abandonment would have caused to participants, stakeholders, and fans; however, also want to emphasise that the safety and well-being of horses and jockeys is paramount and accept that this was the right decision under the circumstances."

Wilcox notes similarities between this incident and the one encountered at the TAB Karaka Millions in January, acknowledging that yesterday’s issues stemmed from the interface between the root matting and the sand profile.

“This incident bears resemblance to the issue presented at the TAB Karaka Millions earlier this year. We acknowledge that the root layer at the 10m rail position was not broken up to the extent of other used areas of the track - something that effectively formed a sponge that then held moisture near the surface. That’s what caused the issues.

“Addressing this issue effectively is paramount to ensuring the safety and integrity of our racing surfaces moving forward.”

Wilcox assures that following a meeting this morning between the Club, NZTR and RIB representatives, along with Frank Casimaty of StrathAyr and Chris Hay from Elwick Racecourse which has a StrathAyr track, an immediate plan of action is being implemented to address the issues created by the root mass and to also utilise the sand in the track to dust the surface and reduce any surface greasiness.

"The Club, along with NZTR, are grateful for the advice received – particularly that from Chris Hay – as we continue to find the best process for preparing the track for raceday. From installation through to the return to racing at Ellerslie, we have worked closely with StrathAyr to ensure the highest standards. Our next steps will help restore confidence of our jockeys, owners, trainers, and punters in our racing surface at Ellerslie," he says.

ATR commenced vertidraining the track earlier this week and will continue this process with additional coring of the track to a depth of at least 100mm. This action is aimed at bringing the sand from these cores to the track's surface. Subsequently, machinery will be utilised to break up these cores and spread them over the track's surface, with any remaining grass tufts to be removed. This work will be undertaken over the remainder of the week and into the weekend.

NZTR chief operating officer, Darin Balcombe, is pleased about the steps being taken in saying “After our discussions with Chris Hay this morning, we are confident that the additional coring and breaking up of those cores will alleviate the issues with the surface.

“We will continue to work closely with ATR to ensure the track continues to improve with racing.”

Furthermore, ATR has ordered a corer machine to help ensure the ongoing track surface will continue to improve with further racing and, after the conclusion of the season on May 25, will undertake a heavy renovation on the track to include removing the matting to prevent similar issues in the future.

Wilcox is confident things will look much different in the future saying, "As we move forward, our focus remains unwaveringly fixed on ensuring the highest standards of safety and excellence. We are fully committed to implementing comprehensive measures to address the issue swiftly and effectively.

“Looking ahead, we are optimistic that with the planned renovations and diligent maintenance efforts, our track at Ellerslie will not only be stabilised but also optimised to deliver impeccable racing conditions and an exceptional racing experience for all participants and enthusiasts alike.”

Prior to returning to racing, trials will take place this coming Monday 15 April. These will need to be completed satisfactorily with the rail in the raceday position for racing to resume as scheduled on Easter Handicap Day, next Saturday 20 April.

NZTR have instigated the Abandonment Review Protocol and will review all events and track preparation leading up to the partial abandonment of Wednesday’s raceday.

ATR extends its sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused and appreciates the public's understanding and support as it prioritises the safety and welfare of the racing community.

The Club remains committed to working diligently with relevant parties to address the issue at hand and retains confidence in its decision to install a StrathAyr racing surface at Ellerslie.

For further information, please contact:

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing 

Darin Balcombe, Chief Operating Officer

darin.balcombe@nztr.co.nz | 021 407 593

Auckland Thoroughbred Racing

Craig Baker, Executive General Manager– Racing and Operations

craigb@ellerslie.co.nz | 027 441 2920

Corporate Communications

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing

+64 27 263 0276

nztrcommunications@nztr.co.nz

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Wilcox notes similarities between this incident and the one encountered at the TAB Karaka Millions in January, acknowledging that yesterday’s issues stemmed from the interface between the root matting and the sand profile.

“This incident bears resemblance to the issue presented at the TAB Karaka Millions earlier this year. We acknowledge that the root layer at the 10m rail position was not broken up to the extent of other used areas of the track - something that effectively formed a sponge that then held moisture near the surface. That’s what caused the issues.

Bullshit.  He doesn't understand turf culture and is being fed BS from someone.

If that happened as he suggests prior to the KM why wasn't it fixed?

Mr Wilcox please tell us all who advised to customise the StrathAyr implementation and why?

Basically you've laid a 300mm beach on the track and expect to grow strong grass!! Really?

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Bullshit.  He doesn't understand turf culture and is being fed BS from someone.

If that happened as he suggests prior to the KM why wasn't it fixed?

Mr Wilcox please tell us all who advised to customise the StrathAyr implementation and why?

Basically you've laid a 300mm beach on the track and expect to grow strong grass!! Really?

I thought the 300mm reinforced sand and mesh layer was standard for Strathayr's.

2 minutes ago, curious said:

I thought the 300mm reinforced sand and mesh layer was standard for Strathayr's.

Not my understanding.  300mm of sand in the top layer isn't standard.  Why mesh sand?  You only mesh to get structure and drainage.

Weren't there some Australian contributors on here way back warning about pitfalls of StrathAyr surfaces?  If I recall they said these tracks weren't all they are cracked up to be.

Isn't NZ Racing ridiculous at the moment!!  I have to keep reminding myself I am not asleep.  It's not even mediocrity reigning, it's absolute stupidly that is accepted as the norm.  I can only shake my head, as I am sure many others are also.

27 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

Weren't there some Australian contributors on here way back warning about pitfalls of StrathAyr surfaces?  If I recall they said these tracks weren't all they are cracked up to be.

Isn't NZ Racing ridiculous at the moment!!  I have to keep reminding myself I am not asleep.  It's not even mediocrity reigning, it's absolute stupidly that is accepted as the norm.  I can only shake my head, as I am sure many others are also.

They seem to work in Hong Kong, Singapore and Moonee Valley.

4 hours ago, Special Agent said:

I have decided it is best just to treat it all as a bit of a joke and stop worrying about it.  It has got to the point where nothing surprises me anymore.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Freda said:

Good farmers can farm anywhere.

It's not a bloody farm it's a $55m race track!!!

It's an absolute myth that a good dairy farmer from the wop wops could manage a high performance race track.

There aren't any good farms built solely on sand dunes.  They are great for links golf courses but not all that great for growing turf.

There's 300mm of sand in the top layer at Ellerslie.  Why don't you take an old feed bucket home, drill some holes in the bottom fill it full of sand and see what you can grow.  Oh and don't forget to constantly water and fertilise the bucket.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

It's not a bloody farm it's a $55m race track!!!

It's an absolute myth that a good dairy farmer from the wop wops could manage a high performance race track.

There aren't any good farms built solely on sand dunes.  They are great for links golf courses but not all that great for growing turf.

There's 300mm of sand in the top layer at Ellerslie.  Why don't you take an old feed bucket home, drill some holes in the bottom fill it full of sand and see what you can grow.  Oh and don't forget to constantly water and fertilise the bucket.

That might be the solution. Just scrape the matted turf layer off and race on the sand? Be like beach racing.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's exactly how I grow my spuds.