Bit Of A Yarn

Hang on - Winning Driver Of NZ Cup Cheats and still wins?

Brodie

I note that the winning driver of the NZ Cup today cheated by hitting the winning horse more times than permitted.

She has been suspended as well as a $2,500 fine!!!

This is certainly not the first time this repeat offender has been found guilty in races.

The horse gained an advantage over the other horses and so should’ve been an enquire, and Tiger Tara promoted!

This is not a good look for harness racing and I doubt that many would think that it is a fair rule, the way it is at the moment!!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

5 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

Looks bad when both drivers of the first and second horse in the race were fined for the same thing. 

It actually brings attention to the issue when otherwise nobody would even bat an eyelid.

Luckily no journalist is perceptive or interested enough in writing a story about excessive use of the whip to follow up the Melbourne Cup death. One could even bring up Kerryn Manning's bashing a few years ago.

The story would get traction but as I say, no one cares enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

I note that the winning driver of the NZ Cup today cheated by hitting the winning horse more times than permitted.

She has been suspended as well as a $2,500 fine!!!

This is certainly not the first time this repeat offender has been found guilty in races.

The horse gained an advantage over the other horses and so should’ve been an enquire, and Tiger Tara promoted!

This is not a good look for harness racing and I doubt that many would think that it is a fair rule, the way it is at the moment!!

No, using your logic both The Fixer and Tiger Tara should have been relegated as both Natalie Rasmussen and McCarthy were fined for excessive of the whip. Using your logic, Dream About Me, is the winner of the Cup?

59 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

No, using your logic both The Fixer and Tiger Tara should have been relegated as both Natalie Rasmussen and McCarthy were fined for excessive of the whip. Using your logic, Dream About Me, is the winner of the Cup?

Does hitting a horse with whip mke it go faster?

There could be the answer to your question.

If yes, then maybe they should be put out as the whip is a performance enhancer. No different to anything else.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

A rugby player can gouge someone in the eye - therefore breaking the rules of the game, but his team can still go onto win. If the incident is unseen at the time of offending, that player is often put in front of the judiciary and then suspended, or in some cases fined as happens in the NRL. If they then repeat the offence in the future, they face a much more significant punishment. 

OMG, I agree with Brodie! (although I'm a bit surprised to learn he agrees with himself on this one...)

The only way to eliminate this kind of behaviour is to take away the incentive to engage in it, which means relegating any drivers (and the corresponding horses) found guilty of excessive whip use cheating. Mix it with a version of the lapped-on rule and yesterday's Cup placings would and should have been: 1st Dream About Me, 2nd Thefixer, 3rd Tiger Tara.

And my bank balance would be considerably larger.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Counter Punch said:

A rugby player can gouge someone in the eye - therefore breaking the rules of the game, but his team can still go onto win. If the incident is unseen at the time of offending, that player is often put in front of the judiciary and then suspended, or in some cases fined as happens in the NRL. If they then repeat the offence in the future, they face a much more significant punishment. 

And Natalie Rasmussen who is a serial offender at the top of the pile still gets to drive on Friday.

3 days off from the end of racing on Friday to the 30th so she misses Geraldine, Banks Peninsula and Forbury.

Now that is funny. I am actually chuckling to myself.

Where is the punishment?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

not on the money there champ

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

But Brodie's point is valid.

If this is merely a rule designed to protect the welfare of the horse so they are not hit more than 10 times, then the question has to be asked, does hitting a horse make it run faster at the end of the race?

If they are mutually exclusive then the rule is fine but if a horse does indeed run faster (I presume that is why driver's hit their horse at the end of the race) then the penalties must be higher on the driver.

It would be infuriating if a horse lost a race because the driver hit a horse 11 times. It would also mean each race's place getters would have to be checked before divvies are paid (imagine that) or else there would protests and uproar from everyone if they got it wrong.

I think this is a driver issue and they should be fined a percentage of the stake rated on the number of times they have been found guilty. Natalie R should not be driving Friday and she should be fined 10% of the Cup Stake for being a serial offender and gaining an unfair advantage over other runners.....as an example!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Does hitting a horse with whip mke it go faster?

There could be the answer to your question.

If yes, then maybe they should be put out as the whip is a performance enhancer. No different to anything else.

I don't know... you would need to ask the horse. 

I guess some horses go faster, others resent being hit. 

Now getting back to the question... You are like the Brodie, never answer a question, when you are backed into a corner and wrong, which is often. Brodie claimed that The Fixer should have been disqualified because Natalie Rasmussen was charged with excessive whip use and that Tiger Tara should have been promoted to winner. I pointed out that McCarthy the driver of Tiger Tara was also charged with excessive whip use. If The Fixer ought to be relegated according to Brodie, then so should Tiger Tara for the same offence. That would make the third horse the Cup winner. 

Personally, I would ban whips.

17 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

I don't know... you would need to ask the horse. 

I guess some horses go faster, others resent being hit. 

Now getting back to the question... You are like the Brodie, never answer a question, when you are backed into a corner and wrong, which is often. Brodie claimed that The Fixer should have been disqualified because Natalie Rasmussen was charged with excessive whip use and that Tiger Tara should have been promoted to winner. I pointed out that McCarthy the driver of Tiger Tara was also charged with excessive whip use. If The Fixer ought to be relegated according to Brodie, then so should Tiger Tara for the same offence. That would make the third horse the Cup winner. 

Personally, I would ban whips.

Brodie always answers questions!

What questions have I not answered before?

Either do away with the stupid rule or make it fair!,,

• Like 1