NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

How well do we sell our industry

Westview

Friday night coverage is 1000 % better than what we have become accustomed to but if we what to encourage ownership how about we start seeing some. The big syndicate in Dalton Shard were a great advert to ownership if only we got to see them, better still we could even talk to them.

Edited by Westview
  • Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

11 minutes ago, Westview said:

Friday night coverage is 1000 % better than what we have become accustomed to but if we what to encourage ownership how about we start seeing some. The big syndicate in Dalton Shard were a great advert to ownership if only we got to see them, better still we could even talk to them.

Agree.  

have HRNZ put the unhinged content so its easily accessible on the HRNZ website an obvious start.

I remember starting a similar thread a few years back with a few ideas of how to promote the sport. Others contributed with their ideas.

But i think bit of a yarn is a place where people get to say what they think,but after a while those posting realise decision makers at the clubs and HRNZ aren't listening to what appears on websites like this. I've certainly noticed not anything i have ever said anyway.

Thats what i think contributes to an underlying frustration of those posting,that you sense from reading peoples opinions that are posted on here. 

So you(westview) may well be interested in promoting the sport,but people who make the decisions for the clubs or hrnz just prefer to stay within the box.

But anyway,you always seem genuine,so i think you deserve a genuine reply.

So one idea is,ask yourself,what do clubs like ashburton or addington or others have.

They have racecourses with road frontage that 10's of thousands of people drive past everyday.

So why don't they use that road frontage to place  2 strategically placed big billboards with the photo of the finish of the main race for the month on one billboard,with the winners name , then the photo of the winning driver with a cup in his hand and the winning group of owners on the other billboard. 

Then change the photos everymonth with that months winners.

So over the course of each month you would have hundreds of thousands of people driving past and looking at them.Its what people do,look at billboards with something different on.  Just remove the pictures for a week at the end of each month so as to get the fresh attention when the next months winners appear or maybe have them outlined in a different clour each month . 

The business supplying the photos would have..their business name on the bottom and the race sponsor of the big race for each month on the top.Their must be a business that would jump at the chance of such highly viewed advertising.

Its just a matter of getting approval from the local authority. Transport nz probably best advised as well.The speed limits where the racecourses are, seem ok for that type of placement.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 6
  • Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, the galah said:

have HRNZ put the unhinged content so its easily accessible on the HRNZ website an obvious start.

I remember starting a similar thread a few years back with a few ideas of how to promote the sport. Others contributed with their ideas.

But i think bit of a yarn is a place where people get to say what they think,but after a while those posting realise decision makers at the clubs and HRNZ aren't listening to what appears on websites like this. I've certainly noticed not anything i have ever said anyway.

Thats what i think contributes to an underlying frustration of those posting,that you sense from reading peoples opinions that are posted on here. 

So you(westview) may well be interested in promoting the sport,but people who make the decisions for the clubs or hrnz just prefer to stay within the box.

But anyway,you always seem genuine,so i think you deserve a genuine reply.

So one idea is,ask yourself,what do clubs like ashburton or addington or others have.

They have racecourses with road frontage that 10's of thousands of people drive past everyday.

So why don't they use that road frontage to place  2 strategically placed big billboards with the photo of the finish of the main race for the month on one billboard,with the winners name , then the photo of the winning driver with a cup in his hand and the winning group of owners on the other billboard. 

Then change the photos everymonth with that months winners.

So over the course of each month you would have hundreds of thousands of people driving past and looking at them.Its what people do,look at billboards with something different on.  Just remove the pictures for a week at the end of each month so as to get the fresh attention when the next months winners appear or maybe have them outlined in a different clour each month . 

The business supplying the photos would have..their business name on the bottom and the race sponsor of the big race for each month on the top.Their must be a business that would jump at the chance of such highly viewed advertising.

Its just a matter of getting approval from the local authority. Transport nz probably best advised as well.The speed limits where the racecourses are, seem ok for that type of placement.

Outstanding idea , I've been jotting down a few ideas which I thought I'd share with hrnz but I seriously think I'd be wasting my time so I think I'll go directly to the club's. 

• Like 1

The interesting thing to Brodie’s mind is that the one that seems to be the biggest promoter of harness racing in New Zealand Nigel Armstrong/ Harness Racing Unhinged is actually NOT EMPLOYED BY HRNZ!!!

Nigel spends many many hours each week at race meetings and recording at Woodend Beach to try and keep people informed and promote harness.

Personally believe that HRNZ are taking advantage of Nigel’s passion for the industry and should be doing more for him.

His postings and people watching is growing weekly and not too sure what HRNZ are actually doing to promote and support him?

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

The interesting thing to Brodie’s mind is that the one that seems to be the biggest promoter of harness racing in New Zealand Nigel Armstrong/ Harness Racing Unhinged is actually NOT EMPLOYED BY HRNZ!!!

Nigel spends many many hours each week at race meetings and recording at Woodend Beach to try and keep people informed and promote harness.

Personally believe that HRNZ are taking advantage of Nigel’s passion for the industry and should be doing more for him.

His postings and people watching is growing weekly and not too sure what HRNZ are actually doing to promote and support him?

He's a harness fan doing 'home movies' with horses running up the beach , etc , and a chat with trainers and that after a horse runs about how well they went , or where are you going next.

Haven't seen anything in there advertising for people to bet (which you CONSTANTLY say is the vital component of the industry) , or horses for sale, or anything like that Brodster. His movies haven't got you buying a horse have they mate ?  surely not.Can't even see how they make people attend meetings really. Was All very nice to see how Butt is preparing the North island horse OLD TOWN ROAD for the NZ Cup though. unlikely to draw people into the sport though lol 😅

Why should HRNZ direct people to Nigel rather than any other syndicator ? he as you said is not employed by them. Would be like them saying what stud to buy the yearlings from. You can't play favourites. they have a Big picture to look after. like the good fields at Cambridge this week 🤣.

Better for HRNZ to concentrate on breeding incentives, and racing incentives, put on some big races (which they're still doing well, with Sires Stakes, harness millions , etc. ) 

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

He's a harness fan doing 'home movies' with horses running up the beach , etc , and a chat with trainers and that after a horse runs about how well they went , or where are you going next.

Haven't seen anything in there advertising for people to bet (which you CONSTANTLY say is the vital component of the industry) , or horses for sale, or anything like that Brodster. His movies haven't got you buying a horse have they mate ?  surely not.Can't even see how they make people attend meetings really. Was All very nice to see how Butt is preparing the North island horse OLD TOWN ROAD for the NZ Cup though. unlikely to draw people into the sport though lol 😅

Why should HRNZ direct people to Nigel rather than any other syndicator ? he as you said is not employed by them. Would be like them saying what stud to buy the yearlings from. You can't play favourites. they have a Big picture to look after. like the good fields at Cambridge this week 🤣.

Better for HRNZ to concentrate on breeding incentives, and racing incentives, put on some big races (which they're still doing well, with Sires Stakes, harness millions , etc. ) 

Gamma, so what is it that the HRNZ are doing to attract new owners!

Nigel Armstrong is getting new owners into new syndicates who then watch the videos etc. and they talk and hopefully introduce new people to harness and hopefully get on course.

The breeding incentives so far introduced by HRNZ have all been a total flop so far!

They have totally wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars going into slot races that was not required when they need to support the lower racing.

If the HRNZ employees were half as enthusiastic and passionate as Nigel Armstrong/Harness Racing Unhinged we would be so much better off.

Where are the incentives to get people on course?

I can tell you now harness enthusiasts love what Nigel is doing with the videos what is HRNZ doing?

• Like 3

On 24/08/2024 at 5:57 PM, Westview said:

Too true. Friday combo on TV are fantastic, far better than the Saturday nonsense. Greg and whale know their shit, while the Saturday girls just read of laptop

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Where are the incentives to get people on course?

I can tell you now harness enthusiasts love what Nigel is doing with the videos what is HRNZ doing?

I enjoy the 'home movies' too on facebook, but they aren't the answer to save NZ harness racing.

The Slot races and running Feature races are incentives for everyday people to get on -course. Alas in Brisbane we had good crowds at Redcliffe and Albion during the July FEATURE races carnival , and for the rest of the year (over 10 months) you can count the crowd number on your fingers.🙄. you already get way better crowds NZ for your features spread through the year . 

Be like Cambridge Tuesdays , that some don't like here. (no crowd or betting)  BUT it is what HRNZ are doing , and it is the right thing. They put up $45,000 in total tomorrow for 7 owners to get a winner !! and with a winner it's winner winner CHicken DInner. gives the good participants some food on the table mate. every horse racing a chance too. (no Purdon;s, Telfers and Dunn's about) 

I suggest On-course Jackpots should come back in.???  People seem to love the idea of a BIG win . The Brodster being top of the charts there . that is something a betting agency could put up at the track ? don't think they want too though. alas as you say . harness is 'on the nose' in NZ 

12 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Over 500 people into Syndicates with absolutely no take out most of which are new to racing,  interviewing owners when did you last see that on trackside,  volunteers at over 70 meetings as an official every year Methven and Addington, videos from other meetings probably 40 , chairman of the Canterbury Trotting Owners Association,  every Saturday videoing from somewhere,  taking BBQ to stable day's and Owners BBQ at all Methven meetings,  yet HRNZ does exactly nothing to promote me , sour grapes no,  Make them look stupid yes , paid for anything no any sponsorship I get goes straight back into industry.Thank you IRT and BetaVet.  Why them do it , I love horse's and the people of our industry. Working on a few things at moment including Owners for the day which I have run in the past, continue promoting ownership in Omakau where we give away shares in my Syndicates , yip costs me money. Then theirs my wife who does exactly the same, so will ungrateful people beat me out of this industry,  no chance.

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 2

To be fair to HRNZ they don't promote anyone else putting out any sort of content,  why because it shows up the pathetic job they are doing. When did they last promote ownership,  The new ceo has talked of upping the game so we will wait and see I'm really hoping he doe's   Our industry simply doesn't exist without volunteers so piss enough of them off and have no industry,  today's rant over. I'm Off to Methven tonight for another meeting. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

20 minutes ago, Westview said:

To be fair to HRNZ they don't promote anyone else putting out any sort of content,  why because it shows up the pathetic job they are doing. When did they last promote ownership,  The new ceo has talked of upping the game so we will wait and see I'm really hoping he doe's   Our industry simply doesn't exist without volunteers so piss enough of them off and have no industry,  today's rant over. I'm Off to Methven tonight for another meeting. 

The biggest disconnect occurred when McKenzie pushed marketing off the NZ Racing Board aka TAB aka TABNZ balance sheet and devolved it to the codes WITHOUT providing any funding.  It made what little he did look good.  ENTAIN seemed to have taken on much more marketing for all three codes.  However still work to be done in each code to promote their respective code and more direct participants.

You can't entirely blame the code management as on the one hand they were struggling with declining distributions from TAB and then they were landed with the task of marketing wagering as well!

16 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Your views expressed seem to be in line with the decision makers at HRNZ,especially the executive leadership. 

But no one,including him has ever claimed turnover to be a focus of the unhinged content,nor does he have the power to decide where industry funding goes.

The fairest comparisons to focus on are  the aspects of the industry he focuses on.

no point over complicating things,simply ask yourself who does more to give exposure and promote recognition of canterbury owners,a cross section of trainers,breeders,race sponsors,volunteers,getting up close to the horses in the stables,etc,etc?  

strangley the answer for most would be unhinged,the man,with his wife,doing it with just their own resources and time. Not the multi million dollar funded entain or HRNZ

Thats a real head scratcher if ever you had one ?

To me hes like a social media influencer,but industry decision makers just ignore using him and limit his,and the industries exposure..

as to him being a syndicate manager or promoting a certain trainer.Why don't hrnz just sit down with him and work out how a formula relating to that, works for both.They do  promote many different syndicators in the unhinged content. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

18 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Haven't seen anything in there advertising for people to bet (which you CONSTANTLY say is the vital component of the industry) , or horses for sale, or anything like that Brodster. His

Westview & other syndicator get people into ownership who otherwise wouldn’t be involved, that in itself promotes betting. 

6 hours ago, Gammalite said:

I suggest On-course Jackpots should come back in.???  People seem to love the idea of a BIG win

Absolutely needs to happen, though doesn’t necessarily need to be restricted to on course only. 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2024 at 5:57 PM, Westview said:

The big syndicate in Dalton Shard were a great advert to ownership if only we got to see them, better still we could even talk to them.

Completely agree.  After Addington they cut away to a greyhound race, undercutting their whole premise that Harness owns Friday nights.  Let’s see the fun winning owners are having on Trackside. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Westview said:

When did they last promote ownership,  The new ceo has talked of upping the game so we will wait and see I'm really hoping he doe's 

just need incentives mate.

How's this for a Q-bred one this year ?(below) . The Very forward thinking Q-bred mob have tried this one this year.  excellent stuff.  I just about bid on a yearling myself. 😁

The yearlings sales are great too , as it promotes local breeding /studs and gets more foals on the ground. personally,  I hate the Aussies buying all the kiwi racehorses all the time. 🙄 Boots and Bond and Jenkins plus others are leaving a huge HOLE in your racing horse numbers.

Here's the cash back incentive given this year , which did lead to good bids on good horses and a successful sale of QLD bred yearlings . 😃. yearling sales ARE Important for the Industry. 

This is why QLD harness doing well and NZ imploding . 

Buyers will have more incentive in 2024 following the introduction of a new QBRED cashback offer.

The offer will see $2,000 (plus GST) paid to the purchaser of any QBRED horse purchased at an eligible standardbred yearling sale in 2024 for $7,500 or more.

Eligible sales include:

• APG Gold Coast Yearling Sale – January 28, 2024;
  • Sunshine Stars Yearling Sale – February 12, 2024; and
  • Redcliffe Yearling Sale – March 24, 2024.

Senior Racing Manager – Harness David Brick said that support for the breeding industry in Queensland – primarily via the QBRED scheme – has been a priority in recent years with over $4 million paid out in stakes and bonuses over the last 12 months.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brodie said:

Very good point.  It leads me to ask how many people at HRNZ are employed in the marketing/ social media department and what are they actually achieving?   HRNZ would be better contracting Nigel to do more & then have a serious look at how much they are spending on wages in marketing.  We don’t want to end up like Victoria. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

just need incentives mate.

How's this for a Q-bred one this year ?(below) . The Very forward thinking Q-bred mob have tried this one this year.  excellent stuff.  I just about bid on a yearling myself. 😁

The yearlings sales are great too , as it promotes local breeding /studs and gets more foals on the ground. personally,  I hate the Aussies buying all the kiwi racehorses all the time. 🙄 Boots and Bond and Jenkins plus others are leaving a huge HOLE in your racing horse numbers.

Here's the cash back incentive given this year , which did lead to good bids on good horses and a successful sale of QLD bred yearlings . 😃. yearling sales ARE Important for the Industry. 

This is why QLD harness doing well and NZ imploding . 

Buyers will have more incentive in 2024 following the introduction of a new QBRED cashback offer.

The offer will see $2,000 (plus GST) paid to the purchaser of any QBRED horse purchased at an eligible standardbred yearling sale in 2024 for $7,500 or more.

Eligible sales include:

• APG Gold Coast Yearling Sale – January 28, 2024;
  • Sunshine Stars Yearling Sale – February 12, 2024; and
  • Redcliffe Yearling Sale – March 24, 2024.

Senior Racing Manager – Harness David Brick said that support for the breeding industry in Queensland – primarily via the QBRED scheme – has been a priority in recent years with over $4 million paid out in stakes and bonuses over the last 12 months.

interesting concept.Good to see new ideas.

Looking at it,it seems to be  another form of the sires stakes type model.Just have to be queensland bred to be eligable.

in nz, HRNZ are funding the selective group that race in the sires stakes series with a reported $600,000 this coming season.

I had thought the increased funding was because the sires stakes weren't getting enough enrolments to put on the higher stakes,but who knows because hrnz like throwing money at the top end horses anyway. 

looking at how it works  fro queensland,you have owners paying a registration fee of $700 for 2yo,$950 for 3yo,$1200 for 4 year old. But they do that a year or two before. 

has a few conditions and you don't get anything if your horse wins at aged 6 or over.

so it seems the point of the scheme is encourage people to support horses bred in queensland only.

hopefully it works for them,but nz doesn't have several states like australia.

wouldn't it just be easier for hrnz to pay a higher winning stake to the owners of a horse at its first win each season.

For nz i think it makes more sense to just redirect the extra funding they have recently handed out,which only a few benefit from,and instead spread the funding so many will benefit from. Even if its just for every horses first win,whatever the age.Just common sense i think to get the most positive impact.But we all know thats not how HRNZ thinks.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Murray Fish said:

what would the price of a beer be? $9 at Wingatui the other day! 
for those big meetings, a entrance charge?

yeah would be the same for a glass of beer here. and the 4 July Saturday nights have a small entry fee at Albion Park for all the Group 1 racing . free entry rest of year .

actually is so quiet at Redcliffe that one day last year I called in to a meeting to check out a mates horse, wandered into the lovely lounge area after race 1. no-one there 😳. so took a seat by the Big glass windows at the front right in line with the finish post . the plum position lol. Next thing a bloke plops down next to me to say g'day. I don't know him . Turns out to be Bernie Ring , the President of the club , delighted to have some-one come into the lounge. 🤣. was quite funny chatting with him about old 90's Redcliffe days

then another couple wander in. And turns out to be a couple who attended my wedding 32 years ago, and hadn't seen for 30 years. They were racing a horse called CAT KING COLE that Kylie Rasmussen was training/driving for them and had bought for $28k at the yearlings sales and won a Couple of Pacing gold Finals . so they shouted me nice meal and a few Vic bitters . lucky day !! 

alas CAT KING COLE broke down on them later on but she had won a group 1 as well, and 8 of her 14  lifetime starts for nearly $200k  . hopefully leave a nice foal for them next.

just a 'bit of yarn', bit of a yarn stuff lol 😄

3 hours ago, the galah said:

so it seems the point of the scheme is encourage people to support horses bred in queensland only.

hopefully it works for them,but nz doesn't have several states like australia.

wouldn't it just be easier for hrnz to pay a higher winning stake to the owners of a horse at its first win each season

yes. that is a scheme they had here for a long time. A higher winning prize if Q-bred. There are so many buyers trying to buy the nice NZ horses  that the local product suffers. 

Higher winning stake's in certain races throughout  NZ (for yearling sale graduates) is definitely a Great idea ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gammalite said:

yeah would be the same for a glass of beer here. and the 4 July Saturday nights have a small entry fee at Albion Park for all the Group 1 racing . free entry rest of year .

actually is so quiet at Redcliffe that one day last year I called in to a meeting to check out a mates horse, wandered into the lovely lounge area after race 1. no-one there 😳. so took a seat by the Big glass windows at the front right in line with the finish post . the plum position lol. Next thing a bloke plops down next to me to say g'day. I don't know him . Turns out to be Bernie Ring , the President of the club , delighted to have some-one come into the lounge. 🤣. was quite funny chatting with him about old 90's Redcliffe days

then another couple wander in. And turns out to be a couple who attended my wedding 32 years ago, and hadn't seen for 30 years. They were racing a horse called CAT KING COLE that Kylie Rasmussen was training/driving for them and had bought for $28k at the yearlings sales and won a Couple of Pacing gold Finals . so they shouted me nice meal and a few Vic bitters . lucky day !! 

alas CAT KING COLE broke down on them later on but she had won a group 1 as well, and 8 of her 14  lifetime starts for nearly $200k  . hopefully leave a nice foal for them next.

just a 'bit of yarn', bit of a yarn stuff lol 😄

yes. that is a scheme they had here for a long time. A higher winning prize if Q-bred. There are so many buyers trying to buy the nice NZ horses  that the local product suffers. 

Higher winning stake's in certain races throughout  NZ (for yearling sale graduates) is definitely a Great idea ! 

i like your stories like the redcliffe one.

Redcliffe has their  very own harness reporter ,duane ranger,father of leading auckland junior monika.

duane ranger has developed into perhaps the best media harness story teller in australasia in my opinion. I know we have barrry lichter who is very good,but ranger seems to have free range of what and how long his articles are and by the end of reading them, you feel like you know the person they are talking about and some of their lifes journey.

his latest couple of articles are about a trainer who had a recent redcliffe winner and who's first brush with harness racing was when his father used to work the door at harold park. Every time hondo gratten won tony turnbull would tip his father and it helped his family.

The other m,ost recent article was about 2 mates who are redcliffe regulars who are going through on going cancer treatment and how they appreciate harness racing.

I knew duane ranger earlier in life and used to play a little sport with him occasionally and he was always a great guy and has turned into a great story teller.Just keeps getting better.

duane ranger harness racing is what you google to read his stories. He often has stories on ex new zealanders. phill keats was a recent one from memory.He was a junior driver who worked for dick prendegast back in the days along with roy purdon,john lischner and paul hadfield.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1