Bit Of A Yarn

Oscar Bonavena

Roman

Going through the replays and sectional times from Auckland Cup night and he is a stand out. This horse came home in 56.5 and last mile of 1.58.2. Also betting the 2700m NZ record for 3yo trotters by 1 second. He is going to be a force this year in amongst the strong group of 3yo trotters.

Also Saliesh take a bow for a great drive. Shows you can beat the all stars

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Mick Guerin did mention before the race that they had taken the half hopples off him and it could be a bit risky early. Shame about the early gallop.   A bit like my wife telling me before the race that she thought it strange they had taken the blinds off the green 2yo, that  eventually proved so costly.  If only I had listened.

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/01/2019 at 11:09 AM, Roman said:

Going through the replays and sectional times from Auckland Cup night and he is a stand out.

You were very right but I think stand out is almost an understatement..!!

He appears to have the trotting ranks at his mercy in my opinion and will go down as a great. I went back to see the article that was written by Mick G about his sale. If he is part owned by a US based trainer it would seem likely he is going to end up over there in the near future after cleaning up here to enhance his stallion credentials. Seems logical to me. 

Would this be his last season in NZ?

One of New Zealand’s most promising trotters has been bought by one of the legends of the industry just days out from the Harness Jewels.

Which means Oscar Bonavena will join the All Stars army for Saturday’s massive meeting at Cambridge.

After having looked an outstanding talent in just two start for trainer Phil Williamson the two-year-old colt was sold to former Kiwi now US-based trainer Chris Ryder and the godfather of New Zealand harness racing Roy Purdon.

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

You were very right but I think stand out is almost an understatement..!!

He appears to have the trotting ranks at his mercy in my opinion and will go down as a great. I went back to see the article that was written by Mick G about his sale. If he is part owned by a US based trainer it would seem likely he is going to end up over there in the near future after cleaning up here to enhance his stallion credentials. Seems logical to me. 

Would this be his last season in NZ?

One of New Zealand’s most promising trotters has been bought by one of the legends of the industry just days out from the Harness Jewels.

Which means Oscar Bonavena will join the All Stars army for Saturday’s massive meeting at Cambridge.

After having looked an outstanding talent in just two start for trainer Phil Williamson the two-year-old colt was sold to former Kiwi now US-based trainer Chris Ryder and the godfather of New Zealand harness racing Roy Purdon.

Enhance Your Calm appeared to be the better trotter when they started against each other.

Not sure where Enhance Your  Calm is at at the mo,  but clearly Oscar has continued to improve.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Roman said:

The Dominion is going to be one hell of a race this year given what Marcoola did in the flying mile and Oscar did off the 40m. Both horses are in the zone

Actually ,the scary thing with Oscar was his time over 2400. Only two seconds slower than Spankem under a hold. Tough time for everyone coming up. 

• 1 month later...
On 19/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, Brodie said:

Enhance Your Calm appeared to be the better trotter when they started against each other.

Not sure where Enhance Your  Calm is at at the mo,  but clearly Oscar has continued to improve.

enhance your calm and oscar bonavena were entered in the r50 & faster trot at pukekohe this morning

• Like 1

• 1 year later...