Bit Of A Yarn

Cam Shaw and Aaron White

boobybec

Tuned in to watch the trotting races today but only on mute. I just can't be dealing with the caller and the guy in the studio from the Thunderbirds is serious cringe as he tries to mix lame attempts at humour with over familiarity .

First race was competitive and enjoyable to watch. Wish I could say the same about the race won by Prince George. He's come right and was always going to make the back markers work from their handicap. What surprised me with the junior drivers was the complete lack of initiative displayed by rival drivers when Jack Mackinnon was walking them them inside the last 1400. I refer especially to the Abernathy horses who very obviously conceded the race early on so used it as a Saturday afternoon workout.

Interestingly, Prince George dropped in price from 10 to 4.60 and ran accordingly. Majestic One on the other hand got the blows from 1.60 to 2.70 and also ran accordingly. I'm not a big fan of horses using tote races on a Saturday as a workout. I enjoy competitive driving but unfortunately, Jacks drive on the winner was the only competitive drive on show. Will be interesting to see if anything is said about obligations etc and the fundamental difference between a tote race and a workout. Abernathy horses have a reputation for being put in the race. Perhaps that only applies when they are doing the driving. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joe Kidd said:

Tuned in to watch the trotting races today but only on mute. I just can't be dealing with the caller and the guy in the studio from the Thunderbirds is serious cringe as he tries to mix lame attempts at humour with over familiarity .

First race was competitive and enjoyable to watch. Wish I could say the same about the race won by Prince George. He's come right and was always going to make the back markers work from their handicap. What surprised me with the junior drivers was the complete lack of initiative displayed by rival drivers when Jack Mackinnon was walking them them inside the last 1400. I refer especially to the Abernathy horses who very obviously conceded the race early on so used it as a Saturday afternoon workout.

Interestingly, Prince George dropped in price from 10 to 4.60 and ran accordingly. Majestic One on the other hand got the blows from 1.60 to 2.70 and also ran accordingly. I'm not a big fan of horses using tote races on a Saturday as a workout. I enjoy competitive driving but unfortunately, Jacks drive on the winner was the only competitive drive on show. Will be interesting to see if anything is said about obligations etc and the fundamental difference between a tote race and a workout. Abernathy horses have a reputation for being put in the race. Perhaps that only applies when they are doing the driving. 

Cam should have stayed on Thunderbirds

Screenshot_20190119-162321.png

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

Guest CrossCodes

I’m going against the flow and stating that I don’t actually mind Cam, I get his type of humour and actually find him quite entertaining, Aaron on the other hand just needs to commentate the race (which he is actually good at) and quit with all the name calling.

Guest CrossCodes
48 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Cam should have stayed on Thunderbirds

Screenshot_20190119-162321.png

Agree r.e the race was run, I was keen on Charlemagne to finally win another race but was never given any chance the way the boy drove him, although it’s probably time the horse and trainer both retired.

3 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

I’m going against the flow and stating that I don’t actually mind Cam, I get his type of humour and actually find him quite entertaining, Aaron on the other hand just needs to commentate the race (which he is actually good at) and quit with all the name calling.

White needs to retrain. He should go away and listen to some tapes of one our finest commentators, Reg Clapp, and use him as a model. Reg was brilliant, White is not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

We forget cam is only a young fella and may improve when he matures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrossCodes said:

Agree r.e the race was run, I was keen on Charlemagne to finally win another race but was never given any chance the way the boy drove him, although it’s probably time the horse and trainer both retired.

A mile rate of 2.23 meant it had to be one of the slowest races ever run.  Certainly had the slowest middle half seen in recent history in a race..  Not even a mention in the stipes report about the change in tactics from majestic one who ran a  mile rate 16 seconds faster when winning the same grade the week before.   

• Champ Post 1

You're onto it Galah. It was painful to watch which I did with no sound on. The middle sectionals were in slow motion yet the Abernathy horses especially did not move a muscle. Not a good look at all and blatant. Of course the stipes won't say a word and if they ever do ask the question, they will accept whatever limp noodle explanation is offered up. It's exactly the sort of thing that destroys confidence in harness racing, especially lesser meetings.

Watch how certain runners from that farce, race in future starts when the money that counts to them is on. I can emphatically guarantee the drivers won't be sleeping on the job then. For the record, Prince George is an ok horse in solid form, but he's no Lyell Creek.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

We forget cam is only a young fella and may improve when he matures.

I agree. I haven't seen too much of him. Just caught glimpses of him talking to the Whale. While it is not everyone's cup of tea at least it is different and to a large degree real. At least the boy is trying to bring something to the presentation. I agree with Crosscodes.

It beats the monotone regurgitation of obvious and tedious stats by other presenters.

Edited by Happy Sunrise
  • Like 4