Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR Announce their Venue "Plan"

Chief Stipe

NZTR RELEASES VENUE PLAN

Posted by The Informant | Jan 29, 2019 | Gallops

Unsustainable costs for owners, participants and the wider racing industry have encouraged New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) to investigate a better network of racecourses across the country.

After a lengthy analysis, NZTR is now consulting with the industry following the release of its venue plan today. The plan proposes a reduction to 27 venues in total across the country by 2030.

This Future Venue Plan is not as a result of any Government processes underway. NZTR will be considering the outcomes of any advice of the Ministerial Advisory Committee and any decisions from the Government as consultation is progressed.

“While NZTR agrees with the Messara Report that a reduction of venues is required, having already undertaken substantial work in this area over some years we have a view of how this could look,” NZTR CEO Bernard Saundry said.

“Despite the best intentions of committed and passionate volunteers, many of New Zealand’s racing venues are in urgent need of major development,” he said.

“Spending is required to bring infrastructure up to standard and to meet Health & Safety obligations. An upgrading of venues will also improve the punter experience by providing better and more consistent track surfaces.”

The consultation document initially proposes that 10 venues are not allocated licences in the 2019/20 racing season. This includes Dargaville, Thames and Wyndham, who are racing at other venues in the current racing season. The other affected venues are Wairoa, Stratford, Blenheim, Reefton, Hokitika, Waimate and Winton.

NZTR anticipates that those clubs which lose their traditional venues will continue to race at an alternative track.

“A key commitment of the proposed NZTR Venue Plan is that all clubs in New Zealand will have an approved and appropriate venue at which to race. We see a future for every club,” Saundry said.

Craig McNeill, who was the past president of the Feilding Jockey Club in 1999 when it sold its property and relocated racing to Awapuni, believes clubs should embrace the opportunity for change.

“What a lot of people do not realise is that moving made us stronger not weaker,” McNeill said. “We are focused on the community and sponsors like never before and that sees increased investment and attendance at our meetings.”

It is a view which is supported by Beaumont Racing Club president Phil Williams, whose club has been racing at Wingatui for 25 years.

“While the locals were disappointed when the move was mooted our sponsors stuck with us, some are with us to this day,” he said.

“Now we are very financially sound, we have no course maintenance costs and just have to concentrate on sponsors and entertainment. If we hadn’t moved, we would be gone without a doubt.”

NZTR will conduct meetings with stakeholders over the coming weeks with 19 March the deadline for feedback.

“Everything in the Venue Plan is up for debate and we want feedback to ensure the best possible result for the future of our industry,” Saundry said.

I'm sure Reefton will love racing at Kumara. 

All very well and good closing venues, but where is the money coming from to fix Ellerslie, Riccarton, Awapuni etc in order to provide better and more consistent surfaces? As well as all the other tracks.

Edited by mardigras

9 minutes ago, mardigras said:

All very well and good closing venues, but where is the money coming from to fix Ellerslie, Riccarton, Awapuni etc in order to provide better and more consistent surfaces? As well as all the other tracks.

Well it won't be coming from any of the clubs that they are closing down unless this Government swings even more to the red left and does land grabs.

20 minutes ago, mardigras said:

They have us down to race at Greymouth but the disturbing thing in this part of the world is that there will be no galloping in the upper part of the South Island.  Blenheim gone Reefton gone means the three provinces on the northern south (Nelson Marlborough and Buller) as well as North Canterbury will have a total of zero permits in 2019/20 and beyond.

Overall the general strategy seems to be shut down the venues where people actually want to go to the races. 

Not sure of the rationale in either case but needless to say there will be some clever chap at NZTR with a theory.

Incidentally in the initial stage the Coast seems to have shouldered a disproportionate share of the closures.

We will have a Committee meeting soon to discuss it along with the Trotting Club guys but I knew it was coming so not surprised(pissed off but not surprised).

Overall the general strategy seems to be shut down the venues where people actually want to go to the races. 

I disagree. The general strategy seems to be to 'stop the bleeding' (which comes from propping up unprofitable/unviable clubs and tracks) and allow some Clubs to keep racing at better venues. Sadly, the low population base of the upper South Island and the nature of the terrain makes travelling and related costs very high relative to other parts of NZ.

24 minutes ago, Weasel said:

I disagree. The general strategy seems to be to 'stop the bleeding' (which comes from propping up unprofitable/unviable clubs and tracks) and allow some Clubs to keep racing at better venues. Sadly, the low population base of the upper South Island and the nature of the terrain makes travelling and related costs very high relative to other parts of NZ.

'....unprofitable/unviable clubs.....'?

You mean the strategy is to shut down(in no particular order) the Otago Racing Club, The Canterbury Jockey Club, the Wellington Racing Club, the Manawatu Racing Club, the Hawkes Bay Jockey Club, the Waikato Racing Club and the Auckland Racing Club(all of whom soak up a disproportionate amount of industry funds paying their huge stakes, staffs and bureaucracies) .

If that is the strategy then I think they have missed their mark(not that that surprises me as it is the NZTR we are dealing with)

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

41 minutes ago, Kopia said:

Reefton as a matter of interest has your club had any official contact/discussions with NZTR..or anyone else?

Saundry came down in November and as you would expect was quite conciliatory but the writing was on the wall for us

One of the NZ First guys is coming here in February.

Realistically they are determined they will shut us down and that will in all probability happen but not without a fight.  I know Pitty for one is on our side - he will no longer come to the Coast as Greymouth wouldn't give him boxes after his old ones burnt down and Kumara has no boxes.

The RTC got an informal opinion from a person very high up in the judiciary(who shall remain nameless because it was an informal opinion) that they haven't got a hope of implementing that section of the Messara report

Stratford is another interesting one - haven't heard from Murray Blue but no doubt we will

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Horseboy said:

So you accept it's going to happen anyway but will fight the whole process, thereby costing more money in legal fees and admin, something you regularly say you despise.

Question: If it's going to happen, why not embrace the change and try find a positive solution?

God you are a dickhead.  What do you think the people of Reefton would want me to do - roll over?

In any case as I have shown before I am more than capable of taking these arseholes on and will do so on my own.  Initially at least there will be no legal fees and no(paid) admin time.

Using your logic they should have said to the Allies and the Europeans in World War 2 'why don't you embrace the change and try to find a positive solution?'

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, Horseboy said:

Thanks mate, you comparing your racing club closure to the advance of the Nazi's across the European continent says about all that is needed about your lack of perspective.

We are only talking scale idiot

If you can't contribute something constructive to the debate I would suggest you keep your views to yourself.

The asset grab seems , to my unprofessional eye - not possible, so no money likely to result from that.

Not granting permits to race is another matter altogether.

I would hope,  that if the proposed action does take place,  that Reefton [ the club ] and Hokitika do NOT supply stabling for any horses that do decide to make the trip over,   as Kumara has none and Greymouth doesn't have enough for all...I shouldn't think many would bother however for two venues only.

The lack of racing in the whole of the South Island north of Christchurch has long concerned me though...and with the earmarking of Riverton and Timaru [ in particular ] for closure, that eliminates two viable jumping courses from the South Island.

Riccarton now only bothers to host one meeting,  the Grand National, which must be under threat if there is only Dunedin left to host jumps races.

• Like 1

and while I am not against some rationalisation of courses this continued crap about 'how much they cost' to keep going is a crock.

The larger courses - mentioned above - are the ones that suck funding,  and have done so for years.  How much did the industry have to cough up for Karaka Millions night?   while the rest of us are chewing the paint off the walls...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Freda said:

The asset grab seems , to my unprofessional eye - not possible, so no money likely to result from that.

Not granting permits to race is another matter altogether.

I would hope,  that if the proposed action does take place,  that Reefton [ the club ] and Hokitika do NOT supply stabling for any horses that do decide to make the trip over,   as Kumara has none and Greymouth doesn't have enough for all...I shouldn't think many would bother however for two venues only.

The lack of racing in the whole of the South Island north of Christchurch has long concerned me though...and with the earmarking of Riverton and Timaru [ in particular ] for closure, that eliminates two viable jumping courses from the South Island.

Riccarton now only bothers to host one meeting,  the Grand National, which must be under threat if there is only Dunedin left to host jumps races.

Well Hoki will be gone as a racecourse so assume the stables will all be gone and good luck expecting the Reefton Trotting Club to welcome thoroughbred trainers when the governing body of that code has just dumped the entire costs(both in financial terms and in terms of physical effort to maintain the joint) of the course on them.

And when  the Grey River starts to rise and the passes are all closed by the weather I am not quite sure what Winston's options will be. 

Still climate change - as Houseboat(that name is a result of spellcheck correcting Houseboy but ironically appropriate in this case) says let's embrace change - perhaps we could have the Omoto horse swimming races?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horseboy said:

So you accept it's going to happen anyway but will fight the whole process, thereby costing more money in legal fees and admin, something you regularly say you despise.

Question: If it's going to happen, why not embrace the change and try find a positive solution?

The process is flawed , no consultation with people at the coal face , perhaps you can tell us what positive solutions embracing the the change will bring us . I am not against change but it must be done in consultation with the people at the coal face who are the ones that have to deal with the changes made .

• Like 3

I for one won't be supporting that overrated, over priced, kumara meeting, which only leaves greymouth, a real disaster to lose reefton and hokitika, and will the northerners travel down for two meetings, sounds like the death of the coast racing is only a matter of time, if you go down, you yo down swinging, Good on reefton for fighting for their future.

23 minutes ago, Shad said:

I for one won't be supporting that overrated, over priced, kumara meeting, which only leaves greymouth, a real disaster to lose reefton and hokitika, and will the northerners travel down for two meetings, sounds like the death of the coast racing is only a matter of time, if you go down, you yo down swinging, Good on reefton for fighting for their future.

Thanks for the sentiments Shad but they do schedule four days here just transfer us to Grey and Hoki to Kumara.

The question  for us is do we accept that we race in future at Grey, do we tell them to stick it (I imagine Greymouth would take the date) or do we fight to keep our course and raceday.  Suspect my committee will go for the third option. In that case it will be me composing the submission.

Of course we are presuming the draft calendar (to be released Friday) corresponds to what NZTR are saying.  There has been a minor triumph that originally I know there were only three days here so a fourth day is something at least. Can't see our sponsors (me included) supporting any transfer.  I have wasted a grand plus GST each year (often never even getting a racename) and that will be the end of that. Thirty years of unpaid dedication to the Club (apart from some secretarial payment when we could afford it when I was in the role) and this is the thanks I get.  I wonder how many voluntary years Houseboy or Weasel have put into Clubs?

Edited by Reefton
  • Like 1

.I've probably said this before....but to earmark the well appointed [ if somewhat dated] facilities at Timaru for closure and opt to keep a shithole of a track like Ashburton...I have no axe to grind with Ashburton but the facilities are shite - and from whence comes the funding to upgrade the place?

If these other tracks are to be un-utilised, how does the 'upgrade' happen, and when?    as for the trainers incumbent at Timaru,  no way will they shift to Ashburton or Christchurch...so a good number of participants lost.

There are some who have said that Ashburton will be the 'second tier' centre for those who 'can't afford' or 'don't wish' to be based at Riccarton.

Their arrogance is astounding, I don't see any of them shifting any time soon. 

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

NZTR RELEASES VENUE PLAN

Posted by The Informant | Jan 29, 2019 | Gallops

Unsustainable costs for owners, participants and the wider racing industry have encouraged New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) to investigate a better network of racecourses across the country.

After a lengthy analysis, NZTR is now consulting with the industry following the release of its venue plan today. The plan proposes a reduction to 27 venues in total across the country by 2030.

This Future Venue Plan is not as a result of any Government processes underway. NZTR will be considering the outcomes of any advice of the Ministerial Advisory Committee and any decisions from the Government as consultation is progressed.

“While NZTR agrees with the Messara Report that a reduction of venues is required, having already undertaken substantial work in this area over some years we have a view of how this could look,” NZTR CEO Bernard Saundry said.

“Despite the best intentions of committed and passionate volunteers, many of New Zealand’s racing venues are in urgent need of major development,” he said.

“Spending is required to bring infrastructure up to standard and to meet Health & Safety obligations. An upgrading of venues will also improve the punter experience by providing better and more consistent track surfaces.”

The consultation document initially proposes that 10 venues are not allocated licences in the 2019/20 racing season. This includes Dargaville, Thames and Wyndham, who are racing at other venues in the current racing season. The other affected venues are Wairoa, Stratford, Blenheim, Reefton, Hokitika, Waimate and Winton.

NZTR anticipates that those clubs which lose their traditional venues will continue to race at an alternative track.

“A key commitment of the proposed NZTR Venue Plan is that all clubs in New Zealand will have an approved and appropriate venue at which to race. We see a future for every club,” Saundry said.

Craig McNeill, who was the past president of the Feilding Jockey Club in 1999 when it sold its property and relocated racing to Awapuni, believes clubs should embrace the opportunity for change.

“What a lot of people do not realise is that moving made us stronger not weaker,” McNeill said. “We are focused on the community and sponsors like never before and that sees increased investment and attendance at our meetings.”

It is a view which is supported by Beaumont Racing Club president Phil Williams, whose club has been racing at Wingatui for 25 years.

“While the locals were disappointed when the move was mooted our sponsors stuck with us, some are with us to this day,” he said.

“Now we are very financially sound, we have no course maintenance costs and just have to concentrate on sponsors and entertainment. If we hadn’t moved, we would be gone without a doubt.”

NZTR will conduct meetings with stakeholders over the coming weeks with 19 March the deadline for feedback.

“Everything in the Venue Plan is up for debate and we want feedback to ensure the best possible result for the future of our industry,” Saundry said.

Is this guy Craig McNeill who was fomerly the President of Fielding for real? 

He waxes lyrical about how great it was to amalgamate to be part of  Race. He claims that becoming part of Race made them stronger, well that does not align with the facts.

Thanks to the Awapuni Conference Centre disaster Race has been financially stuffed for the last decade.  What a clown.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Freda said:

and while I am not against some rationalisation of courses this continued crap about 'how much they cost' to keep going is a crock.

The larger courses - mentioned above - are the ones that suck funding,  and have done so for years.  How much did the industry have to cough up for Karaka Millions night?   while the rest of us are chewing the paint off the walls...

Yip they keep on saying the same lie over and over again and expect people to believe it.  And despite all the evidence to the contrary some do!