Bit Of A Yarn

Blood Spinning

Double R

50 minutes ago, Blossom lady said:

On it's own the blood spinning does not give any horse an advantage. It's what is added to it that seems to give certain horses the edge.

Personally I don't see what was good about the box seat story. A very one sided piece of drivel for Greg and his dick head mate to crawl up all stats arse. 

Yes it was very one sided!

Do we all think that this has now put to bed that everything is  above board, and that one stable can dominate harness racing in NZ by being more professional and working harder?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes it was very one sided!

Part 2 was called 'The Process' so it didn't even attempt to prove one thing or another but they had their slant on it.

Thought it was a touch odd they simply flushed the red blood cells down the sink and O'Connor said it provided confidence around this process as they get rid of them. Hardly a controlled process.

The big editing blip is interesting if one pays attention. The woman says ' a lot of people have been using it from my understanding as more of a pre-race <pause> you would have to basically give it at least one clear day. <EDITING BLIP>...to me that doesn't make as much sense as using it as a repair and recovery treatment <post race>

So why the blip? What did she say? Why doesn't make it sense to use it pre-race? So, why would one use it pre-race?

120 horses over 25 trainers use it. So it is being used by a whole lot of people says O'Connor. He and Guerin seem bent on deflecting any negativity surrounding it. 

How can you have a 2 part series and set out to justify something impartially when you don't even present one side of the story? Why do you feel the need to justify it in the first place? 

I have really given up on the Box Seat and its mouthpiece journalism. It's monotone cardboard cut out presenters who refuse to say anything controversial so they don't get upset their comfy apple cart.

So now, they have essentially set the scene in harness racing circles that if you don't agree with them about blood-spinning you are on the outer despite the biased shows they presented.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

25 Trainers are using the Blood spinning?

How many of these are harness trainers and how many are galloping trainers?

I am unaware of any other harness trainers that are using it, so it must be mostly galloping trainers?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

25 Trainers are using the Blood spinning?

How many of these are harness trainers and how many are galloping trainers?

I am unaware of any other harness trainers that are using it, so it must be mostly galloping trainers?

Harness trainer B. Hill used the technique on his good mare Carabella. But unlike years past he probably not got any horses in his stable worth using the technology on at the moment?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwim_cbdjKHiAhU97nMBHUcKCIoQFjABegQIAxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Fsport%2Fracing%2F6600073%2FStar-mare-Carabella-back-on-her-feet&usg=AOvVaw1zhRXx8GDMUkuvNbeIeVKM

Wondering if the Blood Spinning Company is owned by Pilcher, and he seems to be doing all of the work, why does it cost so much per time?

Does anyone know what other harness trainers are having this treatment done by Mr Pilcher?

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Wondering if the Blood Spinning Company is owned by Pilcher, and he seems to be doing all of the work, why does it cost so much per time?

Does anyone know what other harness trainers are having this treatment done by Mr Pilcher?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwim_cbdjKHiAhU97nMBHUcKCIoQFjABegQIAxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Fsport%2Fracing%2F6600073%2FStar-mare-Carabella-back-on-her-feet&usg=AOvVaw1zhRXx8GDMUkuvNbeIeVKM

On 16/05/2019 at 7:24 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

I have really given up on the Box Seat and its mouthpiece journalism. It's monotone cardboard cut out presenters who refuse to say anything controversial so they don't get upset their comfy apple cart.

I will retract my comments here as I was being harsh. I know Guerin and O'Connor are there doing their best for the harness game and it is easy to sit on the sidelines and complain.

I will stand by my comments that the 2 part series was unbalanced.

14 hours ago, LongOwner said:

And the interviewer is - I have heard - the crown chief witness as he was the go to for bets 

Can you elaborate on this?

Regardless of the rights and wrong of this blood spinning caper, i think we can all agree, it is affecting punting turnover. I for one, no longer bet much on nz harness, and when i do, it is on the bigger meetings, when you know everyone is trying. 

Its hard enough to back a winner on a level field, but when you have horses running hot and cold, and drivers taking turns, and the ongoing Inca saga, no wonder the game is in the poo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Regardless of the rights and wrong of this blood spinning caper, i think we can all agree, it is affecting punting turnover. I for one, no longer bet much on nz harness, and when i do, it is on the bigger meetings, when you know everyone is trying. 

Its hard enough to back a winner on a level field, but when you have horses running hot and cold, and drivers taking turns, and the ongoing Inca saga, no wonder the game is in the poo.

turnover years ago was always down at the Hornby tab

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I for one, no longer bet much on nz harness, and when i do, it is on the bigger meetings, when you know everyone is trying

I really don't know how you come to that conclusion.

At the bigger meetings, the All Stars win most of the group races so if that suits your betting style that is lucky. The others are trying but are generally not good enough.

You should bet at Auckland where the prize money is the similar to Cup Day in the lesser races. I can't be told trainers are not trying up there.

I imagine you don't bet on gallops either as there are so many variables (excuses), far more than harness. 

It is hard enough to get a win let alone mucking around pretending a horse is good enough to pick and choose.

• Like 3