Bit Of A Yarn

Tim Williams

15 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

Another Tim Williams special on Copperfield in the first, yes he drew inside the back row but he never made any attempt to get off the fence, and on a 1.5 shot it was a horrid watch, not talking through my pocket either as I don’t like him as a driver and wouldn’t back him,  but a Mark or Natalie wouldn’t have driven the standout in the race for luck like Tim did....JMO 

Easiest lay on Betfair ever from that draw.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harewood said:

So you watched two races tonight?  Pity because there were some very good preformances tonight.

Yes there were some very good performances

People must get sick of seeing the same stable running 1 2 3 4 in a 7 horse field!
I certainly do and this is causing tote pools to not be worth punting into for many punters.

When tote pools are far less than the stake for the race, there is a major issue happening.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

People must get sick of seeing the same stable running 1 2 3 4 in a 7 horse field!
I certainly do and this is causing tote pools to not be worth punting into for many punters.

When tote pools are far less than the stake for the race, there is a major issue happening.

Feel sorry for other trainers from now on, just impossible to compete tactically with 4 or 5 horses from one stable in those feature races..... like taking a pea shooter to a gun fight

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

29 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

was some good racing but where has the crowds gone??? thousands turn away lol

Hunter, I am sure you are right.

Personally haven’t gone oncourse to a meeting for a few months now, as if I aren’t allowed to bet without having to prove who I am, they can get stuffed.

When they put the camera on the course, you can tell that there is buggerall there now.

Reality is that the enthusiasts who used to go all the time oncourse are now just staying at home and watching on Trackside.

The major problem is that there are no new people coming to the course unless it is a fundraiser.

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

noted that stable you are talking about have there own little secret barn area away from the other trainers why is this???? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

Always worth viewing when they get beaten!

Thats pretty harsh but i suppose we all know what you think of AS barn.

Im sure if R May had shown some initiative and put his horse in the  race at some point they would not have run the first 4 IMHO in SS heat. Might be a useful nag that Skippy horse

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

was anyone else surprised they weren,t questioned re driving tactics in the open pace

another masterpiece wasn,t letting henry hubert go even though he went rough and pulled back 

then tim  strangles horse to let blair go who in turn strangles his horse to let ultimate sniper go to front 

Natalie then won,t let Dunn go to front which would have left her stablemates 3 & 4 back fence and spankem parked out 

and her to run up passing lane i thought was alot worse than when chase auckland won at addington last month

everyone thoughts please

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

39 minutes ago, Trotsfan said:

was anyone else surprised they weren,t questioned re driving tactics in the open pace

another masterpiece wasn,t letting henry hubert go even though he went rough and pulled back 

then tim  strangles horse to let blair go who in turn strangles his horse to let ultimate sniper go to front 

Natalie then won,t let Dunn go to front which would have left her stablemates 3 & 4 back fence and spankem parked out 

and her to run up passing lane i thought was alot worse than when chase auckland won at addington last month

everyone thoughts please

You see it all the time, it was snipers turn to win, and race tactics unfolded accordingly....it is a real turn off and I don't bother about these races, only looked at results last night and watched replays this morning. It's sad as I really used to enjoy the open class and age group races before they got overwhelmingly dominated..... they seem above the law when it comes to team driving

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Trotsfan said:

everyone thoughts please

and the stipes crawl up there arse 

• Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, Trotsfan said:

everyone thoughts please

As soon as Greg O'Connor said there were bets on Ultimate Sniper my antenna went up.

I watched the race accordingly. Luckily it panned out for the sniper despite the close finish,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

As soon as Greg O'Connor said there were bets on Ultimate Sniper my antenna went up.

I watched the race accordingly. Luckily it panned out for the sniper despite the close finish,

Yes if the money comes for Natalie it is usually a good pointer. Taxman another well backed runner for her that never looked like it would lose. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Thats pretty harsh but i suppose we all know what you think of AS barn.

Im sure if R May had shown some initiative and put his horse in the  race at some point they would not have run the first 4 IMHO in SS heat. Might be a useful nag that Skippy horse

Greg

Greg, most harness enthusiasts are well and truly over the dominance of harness racing by the one stable.

Yes, we all know you love them, but I can tell you that there are a heck of a lot more punters that would like to see them training  overseas.

Does not affect me now as I am not investing while I am classed as a money launderer, however I still look at fields and it is a total turnoff when you see 3 or 4 AllStars horses in a field.

While this continues, there are going to be fewer owners and horses involved in NZ.

You can keep worshipping but reality is that NZ harness racing is currently at a crossroads and the future is not looking overly rosey in the next decade.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Greg, most harness enthusiasts are well and truly over the dominance of harness racing by the one stable.

Yes, we all know you love them, but I can tell you that there are a heck of a lot more punters that would like to see them training  overseas.

Does not affect me now as I am not investing while I am classed as a money launderer, however I still look at fields and it is a total turnoff when you see 3 or 4 AllStars horses in a field.

While this continues, there are going to be fewer owners and horses involved in NZ.

You can keep worshipping but reality is that NZ harness racing is currently at a crossroads and the future is not looking overly rosey in the next decade.

hard to take the yellow jacket off Elma Fudd 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

You seem to have missed the point of my post Brodie and made a mistake re my AS allegiance which i can assure you does not exist.

Their results tell everyone how good they are but a less than aggressive drive by R May gifted them the first 4 on Friday night in the SS heat. Now given the Skippy horse is already qualified for the final you and others can make of it what you like of the drive. Perhaps all the other drivers have given up the ghost when AS have runners but to me that's not AS's fault

As for the rest of your sermon i find a lot of it repetitive. That said it was you who recently said that everyone should be entitled to have an opinion on here. I hope in future you allow others , including myself to have a say should i wish to.

As for all your  " End is nigh stuff" only time will tell if you are a chump or Nostradamus

Greg

without all the monsense you wrote above which in my view lacks any factual balance

• Champ Post 1

18 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Might be a useful nag that Skippy horse

A work in progress. Used to throw himself on the ground kicking and biting. Getting better and more tractable every start. Not being rushed as still learning. They have bigger fish on the menu as it learns. Will be more than a usefull horse ---- if it stays in NZ

21 hours ago, Brodie said:

Reality is that the enthusiasts who used to go all the time oncourse are now just staying at home and watching on Trackside

Unfortunately Brodie this is not confined to NZ racing or even racing in general.  Have been to many venues overseas esp in Aus as you know and on some nights there would be luckly to be 50 people there with only one or two tote operators open, one bar and buggar all food. You cannot blame the AS barn for this. People  would rathr watch at home or in their local, including myself. There is so much coverage now worldwide that it is a lot more comfortable to have a beer and food where ever you are watching have a chat and do other things between races if you wish. How they entice people back oncourse is another matter. As CP has said they dont need people on course for funding anymore as its done by bulk funding so may be they dont care as long as the overall turnover  is ok. 

A top line, unbeaten, charismatic horse will bring people on course to see it eg Winx, Black C, Smoken Up, Blakes AF and even the like of Lord Mudule, Lordship, Noodlum, Clurage UF etc etc. Unfortunately we dont have any of those around at the mo or for a long while. Maye UM Collect was going to be one. Anything that shows potential seems to be off overseas where they often fulfill that. 

The same with rugby and alot of sports. They are all worried about crowd attendance except for the major events. We are a lazy bunch of couch potatoes these days. Maybe Sky, Trackside etc has more to blame than the AS barn winning races. 

Edited by Harewood
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Harewood, you are correct that it is more comfortable to be watching the racing from your own home.

The ting is though that racing enthusiasts got the racing bug from being oncourse and soaking in the atmosphere years ago.

They are the people that are still punting to a smaller degree now than years ago.

Reality is that if young ones are not regularly going oncourse and watching racing, I would suggest that it is unlikely that young ones won’t all of a sudden start punting at the local pub or open a TAB account to punt!

If new people are not attracted enough to racing and going oncourse there is certainly a huge doubt that there will be enough people continuing to offload on racing, as the existing hardcore punters move on!!

You only need to look at a lot of the tote pools nowadays on most meetings and the pools seem so much smaller than they used to.

Got no idea how much is wagered on fixed odds either as these are never advertised by the TAB.

What I do know is that the TAB are losing a lot of punters By their policies that are designed to eliminate certain punters, but has ongoing bad side effects that can only be fixed by a change of policy.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1