Bit Of A Yarn

Tim Williams

He has had the very best horses to drive tonight and apart from the first race (where he clearly wasn't on the best horse) made things look hard, I don't bet on races that he drives all stars horses, I find them frustrating....if any of the 2 mafia bosses had driven those other 3 horses tonight they would have all won by over a length, including the runner up in the 2yo

30 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

He has had the very best horses to drive tonight and apart from the first race (where he clearly wasn't on the best horse) made things look hard, I don't bet on races that he drives all stars horses, I find them frustrating....if any of the 2 mafia bosses had driven those other 3 horses tonight they would have all won by over a length, including the runner up in the 2yo

Tough marker again. Too tough I feel.

2 wins and a second on All-Stars and there is still something wrong with his driving? Rest of his results were pretty good too.

Smooth Deal had it pretty easy and still got beat by a stablemate who looks simply better. Not sure it was the driver.

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

Tough marker again. Too tough I feel.

2 wins and a second on All-Stars and there is still something wrong with his driving? Rest of his results were pretty good too.

Smooth Deal had it pretty easy and still got beat by a stablemate who looks simply better. Not sure it was the driver.

I don't know happy, he gets the cattle and makes hard work of it....looks good his results tonight, but who else gets to drive decent horses like that......Sam ottley drove well tonight, she gave the 2nd fave every chance in the Ashley locaz race, but as mark Mac said that is one overated horse, but a $26 winner and good drive to beat smooth deal.

2 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Sam ottley drove well tonight, she gave the 2nd fave every chance in the Ashley locaz race, but as mark Mac said that is one overated horse, but a $26 winner and good drive to beat smooth deal.

If I may say your logic is skewed. Her drive had no influence on Tim W's drive. The drive on Smooth Deal was near enough perfect. Worked softly to lead. Had easy led. The horse wasn't up to it.

11 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

If one of the bosses had been in the cart of Smooth deal they would have won! 

Both of those bosses are 2 of the most accomplished horse people in the entire history of harness racing so no shame there. 

What was wrong with his drive on Smooth Deal?  I don't know what more he could have done.

31 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Both of those bosses are 2 of the most accomplished horse people in the entire history of harness racing so no shame there. 

What was wrong with his drive on Smooth Deal?  I don't know what more he could have done.

He gets an easy lead, same as Ashley locaz, but doesn't ramp it up to take the sting out of the opposition .. very lucky to hold on with ash locaz ..on the first starter that he won with he wizzed around the field took on the leader got in front then instead of putting it to the sword, he hesitated and let it get momentum up and come back underneath, very lucky to win that race as well, he's very lucky to get really good horses to drive........I wanted to anchor Ashley locaz in all multies yesterday as a booster, but didn't because I have been stung too many times by his driving on very good horses before......but that is just my opinion and why I don't climb on board when he drives all stars hot pots.

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

He gets an easy lead, same as Ashley locaz, but doesn't ramp it up to take the sting out of the opposition .. very lucky to hold on with ash locaz ..on the first starter that he won with he wizzed around the field took on the leader got in front then instead of putting it to the sword, he hesitated and let it get momentum up and come back underneath, very lucky to win that race as well, he's very lucky to get really good horses to drive........I wanted to anchor Ashley locaz in all multies yesterday as a booster, but didn't because I have been stung too many times by his driving on very good horses before......but that is just my opinion and why I don't climb on board when he drives all stars hot pots.

I've been tough to Tim myself, but I think perhaps might be being a touch tough here.  What I found incredible was Mark Purdon thinking the first starter will do well to run in 4.  That said to me, GET ON.  Thanks for the tip Mark, nursing a sore heard today

• Like 1

On 3/05/2019 at 9:03 PM, Flagship uberalles said:

Sam ottley drove well tonight, she gave the 2nd fave every chance in the Ashley locaz race, but as mark Mac said that is one overated horse, but a $26 winner and good drive to beat smooth deal.

Well, her drive on Peraki Reactor as a odds on fav was debatable. 

Will you apply the same standards that you do for Tim? ?

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

For sure I will, but I haven't watched any racing today, but did see the results......  I did make some good money on the first race at Invercargill yesterday on Kirsten Barclays drive.........Tim on the best horse in the race and $1.7 fav 3rd from the same stable as the winner.

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Having just viewed the replay, P reactor clearly beaten for speed by the other three, ottley had a very brief chance to come off the fence but she hesitated and didn't take the opportunity ..game over!, from then on never a chance, it finished on ok......if I had backed I would probably not be happy ?

• Haha 1

The Payne stable is quite inconsistent. Some days their horses run well,but then the same horses seem to not perform at the same level in following starts.  They always seem to look good,go best when relatively fresh. Horses like awayovernight often are well supported but never seems to get a good run,and tactically is consistently driven like the driver has no confidence in his horses chances.

Having said that,there are lots of others  like that.

As to peraki reactor,it had shown ok gait speed at its first start,but seemed to put in a funny stride early which resulted in the driver taking hold and ultimately settling 4 back the fence. However she did well to get it off the fence with 900m to go,then totally undid that good move by sitting behind a horse with no real chance on previous race form,and as a result got hemmed in. There was at least 250m for her to improve outwards into the clear prior to getting boxed in. It was hard to tell thereafter whether it would be one of those inconsistent performers I referred to earlier as it never really got a chance to underperform. thats my take on it.

Edited by the galah

On 3/05/2019 at 9:19 PM, Flagship uberalles said:

Same as Ashley locaz, both by far the best horses in the race Ashley locaz nearly out gunned by a mare that struggled a few months ago against very weak mares at Addington, If one of the bosses had been in the cart of Smooth deal they would have won! 

Did you not see smooth deal in his last start?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not real fan of Tim Williams,but from a punting perspective I always view him as a positive to the equation  when assessing his drives chances. His decision making during a race is consistently of a high standard. We all have our favourites,sometimes we are unfairly influenced by a good or bad result punting, however that's understandable..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aimee said:

Did you not see smooth deal in his last start?

I normally defend Tim, but I just don't back anything he's on now especially all stars horses, I just made a point of watching his races and if I had backed any I would have no hair or fingers left (that's the winners).....and a broken t.v if I backed the loosers!!! I prefer him when he drives without the expectations of all stars horses, seems a much better driver then.

18 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I normally defend Tim, but I just don't back anything he's on now especially all stars horses, I just made a point of watching his races and if I had backed any I would have no hair or fingers left (that's the winners).....and a broken t.v if I backed the loosers!!! I prefer him when he drives without the expectations of all stars horses, seems a much better driver then.

You seem to be the only one putting expectations on him, he couldn’t of driven that horse any better. I am tims harshest judge and also know when to tell him he can’t of done anymore. People on these sites frustrate me as you are all happy to bully or belittle people but you never put your own name to the comments everyone is entitled to an opinion but at least have the balls to use your name just my opinion 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aimee said:

You seem to be the only one putting expectations on him, he couldn’t of driven that horse any better. I am tims harshest judge and also know when to tell him he can’t of done anymore. People on these sites frustrate me as you are all happy to bully or belittle people but you never put your own name to the comments everyone is entitled to an opinion but at least have the balls to use your name just my opinion 

Aimee, everyone on here knows my name it's not a secret, and as I said it is just my opinion, I have defended Tim's driving plenty of times in the past,  ....people have plenty to say about other drivers/poor drives on the trotting section on here, but I only see you jumping up and down when Tim is mentioned!  Are some people too sacred to be criticized?.........

Cheers

Des