Bit Of A Yarn

TAB Account Verification???

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Can you still deposit money in other people's accounts?  We used to do that for a syndicate.  I guess on self help machines it doesn't matter.

You need the PIN number as deposits are unable to be cancelled if it goes in the wrong account unlike the old system. 

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Can you still deposit money in other people's accounts?  We used to do that for a syndicate.  I guess on self help machines it doesn't matter.

Yes, you can deposit to other peoples/syndicate accounts so long as you have both the account number & the PIN.

In saying that, I'm not sure syndicate accounts are actually 'legit' these days either. I know that TAB's themselves cannot run a syndicate account to pool funds for in-store competitions anymore.

8 minutes ago, Chimbu said:

Yes, that is correct.

I should have said stated 'cash' in my original post.

From the rules:

3. Uncleared Funds

Withdrawal of VISA/Mastercard Funds
The TAB cannot give you cash on funds that have been deposited by a Credit Card or VISA/Mastercard Debit Card online and have not been used for betting.

If you would like to access these funds, then you will need to have them refunded back onto the originating Credit/Debit card. This is to protect you from unauthorised Credit Card activity.

To arrange a refund of funds back onto the originating card, please contact TAB Customer Services on 0800 102 106 or email helpdesk@tab.co.nz.

2 hours ago, Chimbu said:

Out of interest was your withdrawal refused due to the 'Money available to withdraw' scenario? Say you had $400 in the account, but only wanted  $200 out and they refused to give it to you?

In this scenario, these days, until you have turned over the amount of any deposit made you cannot withdraw the full balance or any amount greater than what you have turned over. Annoying - very!

The moral of the story don't put in more than you might turnover if you are remotely likely to want a withdrawal.

This has been the case for a few years now. It was instituted to stop people using TABs as money transferring agencies, for either convenience or criminal purposes such as money laundering

There was only $240 in the account and that only because of a successful $1 bet. (quinella at Caulfield that paid $222.)

I have read all the legislation and Racing Industry guidelines and also spoke to DIA. The DIA guy indirectly agreed that the TAB was being ridiculous and had no right to seize/withhold the money.

The AML legislation gives considerable leeway to how the Act is applied. THe guidelines give businesses also flexibility. Above all it makes perfectly clear that normal business should not be disrupted if some extra requirement e.g. updated identification is requested. Withdrawal is normal business. 

The TAB has gone completely overboard mainly because those employed there couldn't care hoot about long term customers. Wouldn't surprise they chuckle to themselves "Ha Ha we stuck one up the old fool"

OK I'm fair. this is the email I received countering my arguments. My response at the end.

Good afternoon *****,

Our Contact Centre have passed on your request to close your account due to ID verification requirements.  I am sorry about the inconvenience which has left you feeling this way and that you have chosen this action, I do hope that you will change your mind as you have been a loyal and longstanding TAB customer.

I'd like to clarify why you're required to complete ID verification even though you've held and account with us for many years.  New Anti Money Laundering legislation was introduced on August 1 this year, this legislation requires the TAB to know certain information about our customers.  New customers are required to complete this process within 30 days of opening their account, customer's who we have a past relationship with have more time to go through the process, but are unable to withdraw funds in cash or bank deposit until they have completed it.  Unfortunately the ID you supplied 32 years ago is not compliant with this legislation (a Post Office Savings Bank book).

As your previous identification is not acceptable within the new legislation we do legally require you to verify your identity with updated and compliant documents.  This process is reasonably easy and can be completed at www.tab.co.nz using a New Zealand Passport or Drivers licence, or by taking the required documents to a TAB store.  The acceptable documents can be located by clicking here.   TAB stores which verify your ID documents can be located by clicking here.

If you'd like to withdraw your funds prior to completing your ID verification we are able to send you a cheque, the reason we can send the funds this way is due to a cheque being deposited into a bank account complies with AML legislation.

Should you still wish to close your account I can organise this for you, however we are unable to donate the funds to charity.  We can either send a cheque to you for you to donate to the charity of your choice, or we can leave the funds in your TAB account so they're available to you should you choose to re-open it in the future.

Once again please accept my apologies for the way this process has left you feeling, should you have any questions or wish to discuss any of this I am happy to chat to you, please feel free to call me on (04) 576 6813.

Kind regards,

Casey McDonagh

Customer Support Manager 

__________________________________________________________________________________

Now the email  is erroneous.  I've been to the TAB with documents but those were rejected by staff,. Showed Senior Gold card and was told "don't accept those'

They have had 32 Fu**in years to get "certain information"

I didn't close account because of "ID requirements. I closed it because they seized my funds after 32 fuc**n years.

4 hours ago, All The Aces said:

If you have a collect over $1000.00 you have to prove identity address etc all due to this money laundering requirement.

If I take a $3.00 easy bet trifecta and I have a collect in excess of $1000.00 can someone explain to me how the hell that is money laundering?   

It isn't an AML requirement it is how the TAB have interpreted and implemented the requirements.  In any case who knows the $3 Easy Bet you took could be earnings from the 0.0001 grams of cannabis you sold to your mate.  ?

I've seen this time and time again with over reaction to the interpretation of Government legislation particularly by Government Departments and yes the TAB could be classed as a Government Agency.

Yeah, just done it after a few weeks of them stopping my withdrawal of MY MONEY. 

pain in the arse, especially after 40 years   .....  ?

but fudge them, we still going to transfer cash to all parts of the country and do all the stuff we been doing for thirty years anyhow  .....   ?

Edited by Mk2_Zephyr

I'm still locked out.

Rang a fair while ago,  and asked the chap on the phone if he could 'unlock' for me,  please.  Ok,  done,  now follow the prompts and reset your password.

Tried just yesterday after a long period of not bothering, followed all the prompts to ' reset password' and got an email with the new password.

Used it and same response :   ACCESS DENIED.

Haven't got much money in,  but would like it out and they can go to hell.

Drivers licence, Passport, Credit card with embossed name, power bill with your name and an address ....

And yeah the wankers that the Tab staff ring, don't know SFA, so just bring the docos and wait till a TAB control guy comes on the phone who DOES know what to do ..

PIA, but just tell the counter staff to hang up on any wankers and keep ringing the office till they get someone who does know whats up ...

Sad but true  ... 

I.ve checked with my bank and their policy is that they don't require extra documentation from long term customers except where directed say by court order. Opening a new account with the same bank does not require additional ID verification.

Freezing an account they view as a serious matter for example if many people feared their accounts could be frozen riots could eventuate. Newly opened accounts can be frozen if the tax status is not documented. That applies only to accounts opened in the last 2 years. Which is fair given the level of recent immigration.

The TAB's own Terms and Conditions don't allow freezing of accounts for technical reasons. Winnings must be made available  as soon as practical.

Having spoken to the gambling watch dogs they are aghast that any gambling organisation would prevent winnings being claimed in the normal manner whilst encouraging further betting. Hopefully my contact there makes a formal complaint against the TAB.