Bit Of A Yarn

One gets a fine the other loses their license???????

Brodie

Sam Thornley lost his junior drivers license and sent back to the trials after his first drive!

Ian Cameron gets fined $300.

Both drivers won with their horses and both horses retained their first placing!

Probably Ian Cameron’s first charge for using the whip in excess of the permitted amount!

I appreciate that Sam Thornley’s was worse but on both occasions both drivers got excited with the prospect of their horses winning.

The inexperienced driver gets hammered whereas the very experienced horseman gets away with not a helluva lot.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

I'm curious what the drivers think of the lack or relegation in these instances. not your 1 or 2 drive a week drivers but Blair, Matty and John Dunn etc.

Imagine if every race the winning driver hit the nag 15 times , would the rule change or would they just continue to fine/suspend.

36 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I'm curious what the drivers think of the lack or relegation in these instances. not your 1 or 2 drive a week drivers but Blair, Matty and John Dunn etc.

Imagine if every race the winning driver hit the nag 15 times , would the rule change or would they just continue to fine/suspend.

The reality is that the ones that are getting charged are normally winning the race, they aren’t finishing out of the places!

The whip is clearly giving the driver an advantage so reinstate the old rule and make it fair!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

Sam Thornley lost his junior drivers license and sent back to the trials after his first drive!

Ian Cameron gets fined $300.

Both drivers won with their horses and both horses retained their first placing!

Probably Ian Cameron’s first charge for using the whip in excess of the permitted amount!

I appreciate that Sam Thornley’s was worse but on both occasions both drivers got excited with the prospect of their horses winning.

The inexperienced driver gets hammered whereas the very experienced horseman gets away with not a helluva lot.

Old story isn't it, step on the junior or the battling small trainer driver, nothing ever changes, and they wonder why the lack of interest and junior driver numbers, same they don't get the benefit of the doubt, they are only learning after all.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

I see the JCA at Oamaru on Sunday relieved Alana Cameron Of $150 for using the whip in excess of the permitted no. Of 10!!!

She was driving the old plugger Paul’s Verdict who isn’t exactly known for his sprinting prowess, and he was a few back on the outer until running home fairly thru the urgings Of Alana, who has only just begun her driving career this year.

She is not an overly large person and was hardly whacking  the horse with all of her might,  more just friendly persuasion.

Just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever in hammering our  newest Juniors with fines and license cancellations, hardly encouraging them to perform at their best!!

There are far worse things going on in harness than Juniors trying their best to forge a career in harness racing!

Racing Integrity? Yeah right!,,

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What are they? Is INCA real?

Where do I start Happy?

Coming down on 2 Junior drivers who haven’t been driving for even a month is hardly doing the industry any good, when we are very short on young people coming into the harness racing game.

We have a dwindling no. of horses being bred!

We have a dwindling no. Of owners .

We have less money being distributed around owners.

We have punters being heavily restricted by the NZ TAB from wagering.

We have a blatantly stupid whip rule.

We have a domination of the stakes races by one stable therefore reduced field sizes and therefore horses being sold overseas!

We have a dumb system where there is no enquiry when a horse gets checked!

We have a system where the easy kill get hammered over others.

We have operation inca which is so long winded that is costing the charged hundreds of thousands in legal costs!

etc. etc.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Where do I start Happy?

Coming down on 2 Junior drivers who haven’t been driving for even a month is hardly doing the industry any good, when we are very short on young people coming into the harness racing game.

We have a dwindling no. of horses being bred!

We have a dwindling no. Of owners .

We have less money being distributed around owners.

We have punters being heavily restricted by the NZ TAB from wagering.

We have a blatantly stupid whip rule.

We have a domination of the stakes races by one stable therefore reduced field sizes and therefore horses being sold overseas!

We have a dumb system where there is no enquiry when a horse gets checked!

We have a system where the easy kill get hammered over others.

We have operation inca which is so long winded that is costing the charged hundreds of thousands in legal costs!

etc. etc.

Do I get a tip from the Brodster since I just saved you a bill of several hundreds of dollars from the psychologist you would have ended up visiting if you didn't get all of that out of your system?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

I see the JCA at Oamaru on Sunday relieved Alana Cameron Of $150 for using the whip in excess of the permitted no. Of 10!!!

She was driving the old plugger Paul’s Verdict who isn’t exactly known for his sprinting prowess, and he was a few back on the outer until running home fairly thru the urgings Of Alana, who has only just begun her driving career this year.

She is not an overly large person and was hardly whacking  the horse with all of her might,  more just friendly persuasion.

Just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever in hammering our  newest Juniors with fines and license cancellations, hardly encouraging them to perform at their best!!

There are far worse things going on in harness than Juniors trying their best to forge a career in harness racing!

Racing Integrity? Yeah right!,,

Alana had already been spoken to regarding her use of whip on smarter vc at forbury, a fine was inevitable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roman said:

Alana had already been spoken to regarding her use of whip on smarter vc at forbury, a fine was inevitable.

Roman, change the damn rule!

She is not using the whip hard at all!

The no. Of hits is totally irrelevant as to how much a horse is feeling the whip.

Sam Thornley got busy with the whip and got done on Copperhead Rose due to the no. Of strikes!

Jamie Keast hits the same horse a helluva lot harder than Sam Thornley did and that is ok under the stupid rule.

4 hours ago, Roman said:

Just wondering when the lack of raceday experience excuse runs out. 5 drives ,10 drives,2 months ?  When?   Does it apply in Canterbury, southland,Manawatu.?

Previously I have pointed out how it lasted a couple of years for  a southland junior driver.  

Why doesn't it apply  to non juniors or amateurs starting off?

Well the answer to that is they aren't deemed deserving by those enforcing the rules. Its a joke in my opinion.

Treat everyone the same and no one will complain about inconsistency. Treat people inconsistently as they are again and they deserve the criticism they get from both sides of the argument.

• Like 2