Bit Of A Yarn

House and Reid to Join Forces

Chief Stipe

By Garrick Knight

Two of the biggest names in the training ranks are teaming up.

Michael House and Steven Reid have agreed to terms that will see the latter train the former’s northern team.

Ten horses moved from Kumeu to Pukekohe on Saturday and there is a promise of many more to come.

House, who finished third on the trainer’s premiership last season with 98 winners, says his plan is to have upwards of 30 horses trained in Auckland by the new year.

“I’m committing myself to this move and I felt the best way to do that, to give myself the best chance, was putting the right staff in place to make it work,” he told HRNZ.

House initially set up in Kumeu earlier this year and had Neil Munro taking care of the team before he returned to Christchurch recently to train his own horses.

“When Neil came home, I sat down and thought about it how I could do it best.

“I wanted to get one of the best guys and after a phone call to gauge Steven’s interest, I was on a plane the next day to have lunch with him.

“It’s played out over a month and we signed off on it over the weekend.”

House has rented out a recently-vacated stable at Franklin Park and says he expects it to become a key part of a huge strategy he will roll out this season.

“It was either pull stumps and come home when Neil did or think about a bigger picture.”

Kimberley Blakemore will take on the role as stable manager, leaving Reid to simply train the horses around his own team and that was part of the appeal for him.

“I don’t work a big team, which I’m actually quite happy about because I have Star Galleria and some nice young stock coming through.” said Reid.

“But early on in my career I used to buy a lot of horses from the South Island and loved doing different things with them to see if I could get the best out of them.

“So, to be able to do that again is a little bit exciting.

“Kim can run the barn; I will just jump in the cart and train them and that suits me fine.”

Among the team Reid received over the weekend were Delightful Major, Warloch, Shillelagh, Mogul and a newcomer to the north, Changearound.

“I said to Michael that I would like to take a few weeks to step them back from racing and spend a little bit of time on them to get to know them all.”

The plan will be for House to continue his highly-successful Manawatu raids and then many horses will continue on to Reid and Blakemore in Auckland.

He won’t outright admit it, but 100 winners and a trainer’s premiership are seemingly goals for him this season.

“To win a premiership with low level horses, you probably need 100 of them and they all win a race.

“I guess it’s very possible with the strategy we are developing but I’m not hanging my hat on it.

“The kids have been on at me about it though, and that’s a motivator.

“When I was a kid, there were paddocks full of horses waiting to come in to training at every stable.

“That’s not the case anymore and that will be the biggest hurdle to overcome – a lack of available horses.

“But I’m only limited by own imagination and I think we’ve shown in the past few seasons that anything is possible if you have the right staff in place.”

Think it will be a good thing having Michael House sending up horses that have met their mark in the South Island to “The ReidMan”.

Will be interesting to see how they go?

Probably go pretty well as we all know that the S.I. horses do go better than the N.I. For some reason.

What is surprising is just how much improvement their has been in Michael House’s UDR and no. Of wins over the last couple of seasons.

Ne certainly has helped out Palmerston North Racing, otherwise without his horses racing there probably wouldn’t have been as many meetings.

I would be almost certain that the stable is now having their horses treated by the 

Blood Doping sorry I meant Blood Spinning, as they must have a lot of unsound horses as well, and it has no performance enhancing properties to it!!

Who is the first to have a crack at “The Brodster”

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Think it will be a good thing having Michael House sending up horses that have met their mark in the South Island to “The ReidMan”.

It will be good the health of harness racing in the north.

51 minutes ago, Brodie said:

What is surprising is just how much improvement their has been in Michael House’s UDR and no. Of wins over the last couple of seasons.

Even going 1 and 2 in a race at Addington last week. That is a step up from Palmy.

53 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I would be almost certain that the stable is now having their horses treated by the 

Blood Doping sorry I meant Blood Spinning,

That is a rather large stab in the dark there Brodster. Anytime a trainer improves is unlikely just to be down to this method. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

They will read it here and then go back to RC and launch veiled attacks. 

Normal operating procedure.

Or they  might ignore you and your  petty infatuation with all things RC.  Who knows these days.?

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Haha 1

Clearly something has changed at Michael Hojses stables over the past coup,e of seasons for his UDR and horses to be so much improved.

There is a somewhat connection between that stable and the AllStars Stable, and I would be surprised if some of his horses are not having the treatment, and as we all know it is not performance enhancing I have told!!!

Can someone categorically state that they are not using the Blood Spinning system?

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

Clearly something has changed at Michael Hojses stables over the past coup,e of seasons for his UDR and horses to be so much improved.

There is a somewhat connection between that stable and the AllStars Stable, and I would be surprised if some of his horses are not having the treatment, and as we all know it is not performance enhancing I have told!!!

Can someone categorically state that they are not using the Blood Spinning system?

I don't think you could say they aren't, but it's an expensive process to use on low class horses, but who knows with the big money on offer at Alex park.

45 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I don't think you could say they aren't, but it's an expensive process to use on low class horses, but who knows with the big money on offer at Alex park.

It's not that expensive,I heard it works out at about $50 per vial.

Think you get over  20 vials per withdraw

I dont know for sure but have been told this is over 6 months worth

Somebody with more knowledge on the subject than me might be able to confirm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Maybe, just maybe he has become a better trainer with improved methods. Has that crossed your one track mind at all Brodie. DUH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Maybe, just maybe he has become a better trainer with improved methods. Has that crossed your one track mind at all Brodie. DUH

Globe, because you know, please explain to us less up with the play, the improved methods, after many years of training previously?

No need to get so defensive Globe, I haven’t questioned anything  that would upset you have I Globe?

Edited by Brodie

2 hours ago, globederby12 said:

There is a somewhat connection between that stable and the AllStars Stable,

Now you never tell porkies Brodie so what is the vague term you have used, "somewhat connection" refer to. 

You cannot go and make these accusations without substantiating what you say otherwise it verges on libel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

There is a somewhat connection between that stable and the AllStars Stable,

Now you never tell porkies Brodie soN what is the vague term you have used, "somewhat connection" refer to. 

You cannot go and make these accusations without substantiating what you say otherwise it verges on libel.

Anyone  thought about asking Michael,  guess what I did and to find out his answer you are going to have to wait until friday when I hope to interview him on harness racing unhinged facebook then you can make up your own mind on his credibility.  Needless to say whatever he says wont be enough for some but nothing will change that, stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Harewood said:

Now you never tell porkies Brodie soN what is the vague term you have used, "somewhat connection" refer to. 

Of course I never tell porkies Harewood!

Never have and don’t feel I have a need to!

What porky do you feelI have told?

That is right, none.

Connection is quite apparent Harewood.

24 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

In the same vein then, Brodie, can you explain your initial assertion about why the stable has improved?

Obviously changed something Happy!

I am not making any claims at all, but I would not be surprised if Blood Spinning was involved.

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Of course I never tell porkies Harewood!

Never have and don’t feel I have a need to!

What porky do you feelI have told?

That is right, none.

Connection is quite apparent Harewood.

WTF Was that a reply!!!

Note to self: Never ask Brodie to explain himself when he has obviously got other things on his mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Harewood said:

WTF Was that a reply!!!

Note to self: Never ask Brodie to explain himself when he has obviously got other things on his mind!

Harewood, What porky have I told?

As for connection, you are well aware of what that is!

Can you Uncategorically state that Blood Spinning is not being used??

Edited by Brodie

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Harewood, What porky have I told?

As for connection, you are well aware of what that is!

Can you Uncategorically state that Blood Spinning is not being used??

I asked a simply question. All I require is a simple answer to a question Idont know. None of this Bull**** you are spinning. 

I am not aware.

I have not said you told any porky

And I never mentioned Blood S.

Come on just a straight answer Pleeese.  

Stop running around in circles you are getting me giddy. 

56 minutes ago, Harewood said:

I asked a simply question. All I require is a simple answer to a question Idont know. None of this Bull**** you are spinning. 

I am not aware.

I have not said you told any porky

And I never mentioned Blood S.

Come on just a straight answer Pleeese.  

Stop running around in circles you are getting me giddy. 

Harewood, you are well aware that there is a crossover of owners between the two stables!

No porkies told, Harewood, merely made an assumption that both stables are using the Blood spinning process, unless you can say otherwise?

At this stage it is not illegal, despite it being controversial.

Hope you not so giddy anymore?