Bit Of A Yarn

Southland owners ban Canterbury raiders

Westview

8 minutes ago, Westview said:

Not really, but I bet they want to 

I thought in the in last couple of seasons the southerners had started to hold their own. However, when you the have trainers like Court and Dunn turning up with good types instead of going to Addington it makes it harder. To be fair, Mark Jones has lifted his game recently and seems to be doing better (unless I wasn't paying attention) so you can add him to the list.

They all must using the 7 secret bowls of success manufactured by you ?

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

There are are a lot of good horses still being bred and trained in Southland, unfortunately there are very few good drivers down there and the horses won’t reach their full potential.

8 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

There are are a lot of good horses still being bred and trained in Southland, unfortunately there are very few good drivers down there and the horses won’t reach their full potential.

Poor drivers down there for years 

Williamson's only good drivers

55 minutes ago, Richie said:

Kirstin just lost that race with a poor drive.Need a new driver for cup

You are kidding me right? 

Richie, please do explain what Kirstin was supposed to do. And please keep in mind that she stated and stipes reported that the horse would be driven with a sit.

2.51 post to post and run his last half in 53. 

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

Richie, please do explain what Kirstin was supposed to do. And please keep in mind that she stated and stipes reported that the horse would be driven with a sit.

crap Richie the Franco horse just ran them off there feet and is very smart horse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

Not much you can do when running time off the front like that

• Champ Post 1

58 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Not much you can do when running time off the front like that

She could have got him a tad closer for mine.If she had judged the pace up front properly and realized they were trucking along, even allowing for the excuse of being driven for a sit, then for me she was way to far back. Driven with a sit from 100 mtrs away, dont think so.He has incredible speed , beautiful to watch, and will be a thorn in the side of many to come. Cant wait

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

She could have got him a tad closer for mine.If she had judged the pace up front properly and realized they were trucking along, even allowing for the excuse of being driven for a sit, then for me she was way to far back. Driven with a sit from 100 mtrs away, dont think so.He has incredible speed , beautiful to watch, and will be a thorn in the side of many to come. Cant wait

Yes, let's get trucking early on a solid speed, work harder than any other horse in the race and leave nothing in the tank.

Too many good horses have had Cup preps ruined by gut buster runs fresh up - Mainland Banner v Flashing Red springs straight to mind.

It's a shame the unbeaten run has come to an end. But at least that pressure is now off and the focus can be on doing everything to have him at Addington in November. 

These are horses we are talking about, not machines.

Maybe I'm getting cynical, but anyone who's questioning how that horse was driven today has no understanding of limitations when it comes to horses and just how much a hard, tough run can bottom a horse. Especially at the start of a preparation. 

Let alone, fresh up with no hit outs, off a 50m when they're running time off the front like they did today.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

Yes, let's get trucking early on a solid speed, work harder than any other horse in the race and leave nothing in the tank.

Too many good horses have had Cup preps ruined by gut buster runs fresh up - Mainland Banner v Flashing Red springs straight to mind.

It's a shame the unbeaten run has come to an end. But at least that pressure is now off and the focus can be on doing everything to have him at Addington in November. 

Maybe I'm getting cynical, but anyone who's questioning how that horse was driven today has no understanding of limitations when it comes to horses and just how much a hard, tough run can bottom a horse. Especially at the start of a preparation. 

Let alone, fresh up with no hit outs, off a 50m when they're running time off the front like they did today.

Super quick time run in this race and the trot, maybe it's just me but they never seem to be going that quick at Winton but the times always come back fast... in that trot I thought they were so tired going over the finish line and even Pickett's Ridge was but yet the last quarter was still under 30 seconds.

35 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

In other words it was poor placement. Iooked that way pre race and so it turned out.

Horse went huge after slow start but running pacers from those long marks is a risk of causing damage as you pointed out.

If you watch the early season high class races in Canterbury they often are slowly run,generally because connections don't want too hard a run early in a preparation.

Edited by the galah

32 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

Counter, what I was alluding to was that the horse maybe being bought up to midfield and wait,and (he does look capable of sprinting twice in a race) not trying to loop the whole field from way back and get caught with having to run a 53 half to get near them( which he did on his ear)mind you. Frankly with rhis much raw speed and ability to cover the ground he would take a lot of flatteneng.Agree with Galah though, poor placement obviously but no damage down .

10 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Counter, what I was alluding to was that the horse maybe being bought up to midfield and wait,and (he does look capable of sprinting twice in a race) not trying to loop the whole field from way back and get caught with having to run a 53 half to get near them( which he did on his ear)mind you. Frankly with rhis much raw speed and ability to cover the ground he would take a lot of flatteneng.Agree with Galah though, poor placement obviously but no damage down .

maybe the horse is just overrated has not beat anything decent