Bit Of A Yarn

Kozzi Asano!!!

What an uplifting story this is..nice piece on Weigh In a few weeks back too...

...and his parents are coming over from Japan for Xmas to watch their boy ride a winner...that's tear jerking

...a non racing strawberry picker to this...if some 'nobody' needed inspiration to make it this is it..

Asano had no association with horses when he left Japan and he spent his first year in Australia in Sydney on an international student visa.

“I wanted to learn to speak English and travel overseas,” he said. “I didn’t like living in the city in Sydney so I shifted to Brisbane. I was working on a strawberry farm picking strawberries for a living and the owners had a few horses. They were into western style riding and some showjumping.

“I loved the horses and decided I wanted to work with them so I went into Eagle Farm. I worked there for a while doing stable work and when I had to renew my visa I decided to come to New Zealand.

“I got a job working for Mr (Gary) Vile and (the late) Cody Singer taught me to ride. Masa Tanaka was a big help to me, too. I rode trackwork with him and was always asking him for advice.”

Asana furthered his experience working for Kevin Myers and that led to competing as an amateur rider two years ago before heading south and signing up as an apprentice with Carston.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 4

I wonder if he has re thought his goal for the season.Think i read a while back that his goal was 70...well after getting a winner today i think he's hit the 50 mark...to still sit atop the premiership.Is going very well and hopefully for him he keeps on going.

• Like 1

This guy is setting racing in NZ alight. The Tapanui Cup drew as good a handicap field one could expect. It also produced a classic ride. Shades of Lance O'Sullivan and Moreira. 

Disgrace how NZ Racing and Trackside can't make these races special. Instead straight after the race TV off to the greyhounds to watch a dog having a shi?.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Centaur said:

This guy is setting racing in NZ alight. The Tapanui Cup drew as good a handicap field one could expect. It also produced a classic ride. Shades of Lance O'Sullivan and Moreira. 

Disgrace how NZ Racing and Trackside can't make these races special. Instead straight after the race TV off to the greyhounds to watch a dog having a shi?.

Superb in that race...as he was on Red River Rock...

Weirdly similar how he gets up on the line...like CJW

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

And sometimes this North Island attitude that they should have the best of everything because they are entitled to it......it really starts to irritate.

to be fair we  have had John Key,Bill English ,Mike Hosking and other Mainlanders up here who are absolute flops,so we do deserve better.

30 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

And sometimes this North Island attitude that they should have the best of everything because they are entitled to it......it really starts to irritate.

FACTS...he started off with 2 Northern trainers who taught him everything he knows...

...Gay Gorrre has no future...unless you're a tobacco chewing country folk singer...

...besides he's into Country Rock

33 minutes ago, Thomass said:

FACTS...he started off with 2 Northern trainers who taught him everything he knows...

...Gay Gorrre has no future...unless you're a tobacco chewing country folk singer...

...besides he's into Country Rock

Explain how he has only come good this season?  He has ridden in three seasons.

4 hours ago, Thomass said:

Yep, he does travel up here... but seriously

Opportunities, contacts et el.

Why would he be singing Country Kareoke after the races at a Gay Gorrre...

...when he could be drinking Champagne on the Trentham Turf

Seems to have some pretty good contacts already.

And planes haven't stopped flying north, have they?

Now Australia, that's a different matter.

10 hours ago, Freda said:

Seems to have some pretty good contacts already.

And planes haven't stopped flying north, have they?

Now Australia, that's a different matter.

Yes but he's riding in Gay Gorrrrre this weekend Freda...

...when he would have made contacts if up North...and riding on a Premier day...the only way to become even better...

6 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Yes but he's riding in Gay Gorrrrre this weekend Freda...

...when he would have made contacts if up North...and riding on a Premier day...the only way to become even better...

At Gore he has 8 rides - all chances.  He would be lucky to get two on a Premier Day up north.

One day you'll understand the economics of racing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

At Gore he has 8 rides - all chances.  He would be lucky to get two on a Premier Day up north.

One day you'll understand the economics of racing.

Pfffft..

Hes closely mirroring Mycool Walker...Wellington Cup winner as an App..18 months after first ride...

Its about opportunities and contacts...riding agin better riders makes one better...wtf knew?

Life experience 101