Bit Of A Yarn

Trentham

12 hours ago, Huey said:

The best track in NZ imho , usually provides a very fair competitive surface for all runners and my favourite for punting and watching races.

Crowd on Saturday was disappointing(I thought Oaks day was bad this was much worse), no atmosphere, hospitality is appalling (both by club and food/ options for a venue of this significance), there is an air of arrogance about the place that doesn't befit what it is delivering if that makes sense.

I wonder during race day how many committee members would "lower themselves" to enter the public stand / bar.

• Like 1

Even more disturbing....

I acknowledge when Trentham (as a racecourse) is good it is very good(ditto Riccarton and Ellerslie) but a little comparison...

On Saturday $130k or so of industry funds spent on stakes at Grey for a $192k Oncourse.  Trentham $545k of industry funds for an oncourse of $125K

Waiting for the offcourse but doesn't make great reading(and I will bet a bloody sight more young kids got their first taste of the excitement of racing at Omoto).

These disturbing results whereby the 'pinnacle' events that you would expect to see massive(comparatively) attendances simply are not supported is a continuing concern.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Even more disturbing....

I acknowledge when Trentham (as a racecourse) is good it is very good(ditto Riccarton and Ellerslie) but a little comparison...

On Saturday $130k or so of industry funds spent on stakes at Grey for a $192k Oncourse.  Trentham $545k of industry funds for an oncourse of $125K

Waiting for the offcourse but doesn't make great reading(and I will bet a bloody sight more young kids got their first taste of the excitement of racing at Omoto).

These disturbing results whereby the 'pinnacle' events that you would expect to see massive(comparatively) attendances simply are not supported is a continuing concern.

Agree. Let us know the offcourse when you have them please Reefy.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Well done Reefton.  Based on an average 17% takeout (probably more than that) Reefton provided $30k+ to the industry coffers from oncourse betting alone.  A deficit of $100k.

On that basis Trentham provided $20k+.  A deficit of $525k.

I doubt the off-course figures will give a positive result for Trentham but it may well do for Reefton.

• Haha 1

There is no way around it Trentham's on course turnover was poor. The only thing I would say in their defence is that I went last Saturday and was in a group of eight. All except two of us were placing bets through  phones which shows as off corse turnover.

Not withstanding that it was a poor crowd as it was last year.

16 hours ago, curious said:

So generous estimate maybe 180k net wagering revenue for a half mil stakes expenditure?

• General admission: $20.00
  • Ascot Stand: $70.00
  • Garden Party: $59.00
  • Cavallo Club: $90.00
  • Silks: $119.00

prices for Karka night at Els.....   

how does Trentham stack up with this sort of thing? 

On 15/01/2020 at 1:10 PM, Bloke said:

There is no way around it Trentham's on course turnover was poor. The only thing I would say in their defence is that I went last Saturday and was in a group of eight. All except two of us were placing bets through  phones which shows as off corse turnover.

Not withstanding that it was a poor crowd as it was last year.

I was a bit harsh on them actually.  I got told $125 but the actual oncourse was $144(maybe intertrack the difference?).  Offcourse $2.5m Trentham(up 21% on last year - as was almost everyone last week(up I mean)).

And the  award for the highest percentage increase in overall Turnover??????

Drumroll please ..............................

The little old Reefton Jockey Club up 76% overall(knew they were top operators)

Helps a bit when you don't have any competition

Edited by Reefton
  • Like 2

On 15/01/2020 at 11:49 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Well done Reefton.  Based on an average 17% takeout (probably more than that) Reefton provided $30k+ to the industry coffers from oncourse betting alone.  A deficit of $100k.

On that basis Trentham provided $20k+.  A deficit of $525k.

I doubt the off-course figures will give a positive result for Trentham but it may well do for Reefton.

Let's see...

One off meetings in Tourist towns with the opportunity to experience Diliverence type Banjos people...

...v City Courses Racing 20 times a year...

Some ridiculous 'arguments' going on here

• Sad 1

On 15/01/2020 at 10:16 AM, Reefton said:

Yes a total waste of funds. Let's reduce all the stakes until all the meetings are 'profitable' by this measure. 

• Like 1

Someone had a great idea a while back,  why not put industry dates up for tender to clubs? Help revitalise the sport in community areas,  have clubs meet certain metrics over a 3 year period,  make allowances for weather etc. Perhaps provide a better product to punt on,  maybe some racing with the rail in the true position for a change, some decent sized fields,  a bit of a crowd and atmosphere on course,  some local support etc. 

Reduced costs, less pressure on larger clubs, less FTE required by them Etc 

It cannot be worse than what is being served up at the moment which is just killing the game from the inside out. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Huey said:

Someone had a great idea a while back,  why not put industry dates up for tender to clubs? Help revitalise the sport in community areas,  have clubs meet certain metrics over a 3 year period,  make allowances for weather etc.

I've long promoted that idea - bring some market forces back into the game.  Get some real rather than token sponsorship.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bloke said:

Agreed! Looks like the Jennifer Eccles syndicate makes up half of the crowd.

Why is it that with so many horses trained and bred in the area that Te Rapa gets such shocking attendances?

They are still making their way back from the Elton John concert in the Bay. 
OK some are going to the Auckland one, but they are the ones that don’t know better or have no class. LOL

6 hours ago, Bloke said:

Agreed! Looks like the Jennifer Eccles syndicate makes up half of the crowd.

Why is it that with so many horses trained and bred in the area that Te Rapa gets such shocking attendances?

Nothing wrong with the crowd size ,it was big numbers.

At least they were there to watch quality racing. They weren’t picnicking in the sun.