Bit Of A Yarn

Pot calling the kettle black?

Quote from the latest NZTR circular on the Coronavirus issue

'NZTR is deeply disappointed to hear that some trainers have allegedly been considering nominating owners as false stable hands in order to access race meetings,  putting our whole industry at risk' 

Bit rich considering those wankers have been trying to destroy the industry themselves for years with their mismanagement and promotion of the Messara land theft tripe.

Edited by Reefton
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Quote from the latest NZTR circular on the Coronavirus issue

'NZTR is deeply disappointed to hear that some trainers have allegedly been considering nominating owners as false stable hands in order to access race meetings,  putting our whole industry at risk' 

Bit rich considering those wankers have been trying to destroy the industry themselves for years with their mismanagement and promotion of the Messara land theft tripe.

A view from another code, with the antics of some trainers in harness racing I would say those 'wankers' and those 'trainers' are as bad as each other.

Combined, they will screw the whole industry. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Reefton said:

How does an Owner acting as a Stable Hand put the "whole industry at risk"?  I know many owners who have more experience and ability than some raw recruit stable hands. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

How does an Owner acting as a Stable Hand put the "whole industry at risk"?  I know many owners who have more experience and ability than some raw recruit stable hands. 

I don't think having experience with horses and ability makes you immune from the virus. Its a safety measure and in the best interests of public health to have the least amount of people as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Tiger said:

I don't think having experience with horses and ability makes you immune from the virus. Its a safety measure and in the best interests of public health to have the least amount of people as possible. 

You miss the point I'm making.  Trainer's have in the past, prior to Covid-19, signed off some owners as stable hands.  Now the fact that an Owner has a Stable Hand ticket (or even license) doesn't put "the whole industry at risk."  Indeed there are many many owners who are as experienced and as able as any ticketed stable hand.

I doubt you will see hundreds of Owner's suddenly becoming Stable Hand's.  The difference now is that the "powers that be" have upped the security around it and are checking which they were lax about in the past.

• Like 2

Yeah..despite my constant criticism of NZTR,  for once,  I don't have a problem with their attempts.    At least they are making an effort to keep us going,  the alternative is complete closure which would be a death knell for so many hanging on by their teeth already.

Same as the restriction on jockeys....they can still travel with notifaction and permission, so contacts can be identified more easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Same as the restriction on jockeys....they can still travel with notifaction and permission, so contacts can be identified more easily.

is it planes netween island they are not keen on?

It would be made if CWJ Drove the float North and then couldn;t ride! :)

4 hours ago, Freda said:

I gather that has been reviewed already.    Lisa Allpress was refused permission to travel south for this weekend.

One bright point - it will afford opportunities to some who do not get many chances.

• Like 1

You watch.  The next step will be to centralise all racing at a few locations so "we can enforce access restrictions more effectively and minimise operational movements."

Another point is that the three codes are not working in unison.  For example my understanding is harness drivers can still travel between the Islands.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Freda said:

You'd think there might be some communication and accord between codes, wouldn't you?

Well there is hardly that WITHIN the codes.

Just to make it clear I think there does need to be some controls put in place but it irks me somewhat to see the inconsistencies and some measures which are just cosmetic.

For example I understand the Chinese restaurant at Alexandra Park is open tomorrow night but harness fans and owners are not allowed to attend the races.

I also know that some thoroughbred trainers rely on their experienced owners to help with their horses on race day.  I know I used to do it - lead the horse from the truck, pick up the saddle from weigh-in, get the saddle cloth number and take it back when finished, even managed to lead my horse into and out of the bird cage a couple of times.  

I think as Curious alludes to in his post if things progress towards worst case scenario then some owners will be essential to keeping things moving.

Will "Officials" stop travel between the islands?  Will be interesting to know if Grimshaw attended the raid on McGrath's property.  Woops forgot that's a Harness case not Thoroughbred.

• Like 2