Bit Of A Yarn

Guerin & The Box Seat gone.

Rusty

No more Box Seat, and no more Michael Guerin on Trackside. 

He offered his services for free... however he still wasn't wanted. 

Sure, he wasn't everyone's cuppa tea... but his knowledge and analytical thinking (although admittedly wasn't always on the money, but other than Brodie and B Orange, who is?) will be missed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

No more Box Seat, and no more Michael Guerin on Trackside. 

He offered his services for free... however he still wasn't wanted. 

Sure, he wasn't everyone's cuppa tea... but his knowledge and analytical thinking (although admittedly wasn't always on the money, but other than Brodie and B Orange, who is?) will be missed. 

seems incredibly shortsighted 

Why was The Box Seat canned does anyone know?

was it due to the cost of production or because most of the content was a yawnfest, or did the AllStars pull their sponsorship of the show?

Trackside promised a better service when they started to charge and yes we are lucky nowadays to have 2 channels dedicated to racing!

However, Trackside could be run a helluva lot better than it currently is and has been since being charged for it!

To retain the current punters Trackside needs to put all the crap  meetings with no turnover  from overseas on the one channel or even dispose of it as it is not required.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Why was The Box Seat canned does anyone know?

was it due to the cost of production or because most of the content was a yawnfest, or did the AllStars pull their sponsorship of the show?

Trackside promised a better service when they started to charge and yes we are lucky nowadays to have 2 channels dedicated to racing!

However, Trackside could be run a helluva lot better than it currently is and has been since being charged for it!

To retain the current punters Trackside needs to put all the crap  meetings with no turnover  from overseas on the one channel or even dispose of it as it is not required.

This is hardly a surprise my old mate. Harness racing is in trouble and the programme was probably too costly to justify producing any more. I doubt the show was watched by many either. The shows canning won't be the last calamity to hit harness racing this year. I don't like to be a gloom merchant but harness racing is in freefall and the industry is going to be decimated over the next few months.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

This is hardly a surprise my old mate. Harness racing is in trouble and the programme was probably too costly to justify producing any more. I doubt the show was watched by many either. The shows canning won't be the last calamity to hit harness racing this year. I don't like to be a gloom merchant but harness racing is in freefall and the industry is going to be decimated over the next few months.

There is a place for a harness  program and it would not need to be that expensive to produce.

Personally don’t know why they would need 3 presenters like they had and the cost of airfares etc. every week wouldn’t have been that cheap.

Canterbury is the Mecca for harness racing so why was it not filmed in ChCh where the knowledge is based and has the most interest?

Whiteman, you are correct, this virus thing is going to be hugely costly for the industry and whether it can recover successfully when things settle down is questionable, especially in the North Island where owners are few and far between.

28 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Hang on. Didn't Waimate just have 234 nominations and they got 12 races which could have been 15 or 16 were it allowed

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Hang on. Didn't Waimate just have 234 nominations and they got 12 races which could have been 15 or 16 were it allowed

The virus restrictions and rules and regulations effects haven’t come in yet.

Hopefully things will come right sooner rather than later, or the industry just like all businesses will suffer!

Many owners with investments in the sharemarket and with business interests will not have the disposable income to be able to shell out thousands of dollars per month, to have horses racing for stakes that make it totally uneconomic to do so!!!!!

There will be many trainers who just won’t have enough horses in work to make it pay unfortunately.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

So what?

Waimate is a back water meeting with the same old slow horses that trundle around the lesser tracks week after week. I wouldn't cross the road to see any of them nor bet on them. Few of the slow horses on display at Waimate would be paying their way. No on-course spectators or betting... what will the Waimate TC get out of this meeting?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

So what?

Waimate is a back water meeting with the same old slow horses that trundle around the lesser tracks week after week. I wouldn't cross the road to see any of them nor bet on them. Few of the slow horses on display at Waimate would be paying their way. No on-course spectators or betting... what will the Waimate TC get out of this meeting?

Better than the dross we get from backwater OZ tracks or North American harness snow mile racing.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Absolutely agree. There is a real demand for meetings such as this in small communities..234 nominations!!! Wouldn't Auckland like that? And for these small communities, these race days are so important. If people like White man don't like them, then don't watch. No need to be offensive to the locals in calling Waimate a backwater.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Absolutely agree. There is a real demand for meetings such as this in small communities..234 nominations!!! Wouldn't Auckland like that? And for these small communities, these race days are so important. If people like White man don't like them, then don't watch. No need to be offensive to the locals in calling Waimate a backwater.

Personally I love the slow class races more so than tight class racing, selfishly though due to easier to punt on!

Unfortuntelyfor Waimate and the other clubs that are going to be racing without oncourse patronage, they could well be losing a lot of money by running them.

Not sure why so many owners and trainers want to run their horses on the grass, as it always appears a lot more of a gut buster racing on the grass!

There are always stragglers on the grass that you do not often see on the Addington surface.

Yes I know they go a lot harder on the clay tracks, but for some strange reasons trainers  line up horses on the grass when clearly the horses action doesn’t warrant it!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

So what?

Quite a simple answer. What they usually get. 

Funding based on their total turnover across off course and fixed odds which will be used to allocate their market share of the available funds (if there are any remaining by then) when HRNZ dish out bulk funding for the new season.

A rise in total turnover from last year at Cambridge last night I'm told. Plenty tuning in and having a play to fill the no live sport void. Could be a good turnover day. Who knows.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1