Bit Of A Yarn

Track Closures

When the A&P show comes to town we go as a family and have a day out. If they take it away from my area I sure as hell won't be travelling out of the area to take the kids for a day out, we will just do something else..... 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bid said:

When the A&P show comes to town we go as a family and have a day out. If they take it away from my area I sure as hell won't be travelling out of the area to take the kids for a day out, we will just do something else..... 

Yes and the local race meeting cost the Industry nothing because of community volunteers and sponsorship.

• Like 1

Reading an article where it quoted the Avondale vice president jan skinner  as saying the club" would rather donate their assets to the local Plunket society" than let the racing industry get their hands on it.

Seriously,if this is how a racing club views their own industry,the sooner the thoroughbred racing industry winds up the better.    Why should an industry continue when it is  full of people who hate the industry they are in?

Must be a thoroughbred thing ?

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Reading an article where it quoted the Avondale vice president jan skinner  as saying the club" would rather donate their assets to the local Plunket society" than let the racing industry get their hands on it.

Seriously,if this is how a racing club views their own industry,the sooner the thoroughbred racing industry winds up the better.    Why should an industry continue when it is  full of people who hate the industry they are in?

Galah,

You have to take into consideration how Avondale have been shafted over the years, particularly be Ellerslie.

There is not a shadow of a doubt that the grass surface in the north is at Avondale.

Why not let them get on and develop it as per their plan? 

If you want to raise some real money, sell Ellerslie ?

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Dark Beau said:

Galah,

You have to take into consideration how Avondale have been shafted over the years, particularly be Ellerslie.

There is not a shadow of a doubt that the grass surface in the north is at Avondale.

Why not let them get on and develop it as per their plan? 

If you want to raise some real money, sell Ellerslie ?

That may well be the case.  

They have gone beyond saying just that though haven't they. 

Why say what she did?. Well the reason is, that is what they are thinking.

Its goes beyond being parochial, it is spiteful.  No doubt there is more to the story then meets the eye, but surely its better to put the assets of that club in the hands of people who  actually support thoroughbred racing.

13 hours ago, the galah said:

Because it's not THEIR industry anymore and they've seen how much money THEY have wasted

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Mark D said:

Because it's not THEIR industry anymore and they've seen how much money THEY have wasted

You would assume a club like avondale would want to negotiate some sort of representation on any future auckland racing club, so as to ensure decisions made can have their input/influence. That is what i would expect from the effected clubs. I haven't read anything like that in the media. Just the spiteful comments. Why is that

18 minutes ago, the galah said:

You would assume a club like avondale would want to negotiate some sort of representation on any future auckland racing club, so as to ensure decisions made can have their input/influence. That is what i would expect from the effected clubs. I haven't read anything like that in the media. Just the spiteful comments. Why is that

Don't think those sort of negotiations are underway yet are they? We only have a draft calendar. Until that is finalised it seems it would be a bit pointless.

1 minute ago, curious said:

Don't think those sort of negotiations are underway yet are they? We only have a draft calendar. Until that is finalised it seems it would be a bit pointless.

I thought the Messara report  had recommended  specified club closures.  If the avondale club hadn't seen this coming and not made some contingency strategies then you would have to say they are at fault,no one else. Maybe they have,maybe they have the wrong person making comments to the media. 

10 minutes ago, curious said:

It did but they can't be forced at this stage and clubs can then decide whether or not they want to race at other venues can they not?

I've always wondered what's to stop them from racing at their own venues?  I.e. they have their own race meetings without RITA/NZTR finance?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, the galah said:

have you shares in the club!   if not!  perhaps not your business!!!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

No harm in talking when there is no pressure......which will come.

I don't know whether they are talking or to whom. Maybe ARC? Maybe Counties? Maybe the Council about transferring the land? Maybe the politicians about the proposed legislation? Who knows?

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I thought the Messara report  had recommended  specified club closures.  If the avondale club hadn't seen this coming and not made some contingency strategies then you would have to say they are at fault,no one else. Maybe they have,maybe they have the wrong person making comments to the media. 

The Messara report recommended Avondale's closure for the 2020/21. So they can't have been unaware of this.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've always wondered what's to stop them from racing at their own venues?  I.e. they have their own race meetings without RITA/NZTR finance?

I'm not sure how America racing operates exactly but are the tracks privately owned and they decide what and when they race?  

Avondale or any other club could just hold a race day, but just not run under 'nz racing rules'.  I'm not sure on the betting rules and regulations in NZ but if a Corp bookie or two decided to back the club what would be the rules around them being allowed to take betting on it. 

• Like 1

Not sure,  but I have a feeling that the suits would find a way to make sure it can't work....like banning all runners from future racing under NZTR rules,  or something like that that would guarantee no runners.    Other than non-registered horses of course.

On 15/05/2020 at 7:04 PM, the galah said:

It’s a bit like this TG(and I know because I have the same sentiments - over my dead body are those buldging arseholes at NZTR or Rita getting the proceeds of my club’s property).

I don’t know if you are a Member of the local Rugby Club or the Bowls Club or even say the Plunket Branch?  If you are you might be one who marks out the fields or washes the Jerseys, maybe runs the bar after the game or the days bowls or sits on a raffle table to raise funds for the maintenance of facilities and furtherance of the Clubs aims?  None of which you would get paid for of course.

Now lets say the National parent body is running short on dosh(maybe to play their All Blacks perhaps).  So they say well the Galah’s rugby Club owes it’s existence to the game of Rugby and we need the money so we are going to seize the  Clubs assets so we can pay Sam Cane’s wages.  (Plunket actually did it a few years back).  I imagine you might be a bit pissed off would you not?

Now that wouldn’t mean you hate the game of rugby but it might well see you fight ever so strongly to keep your Clubs assets ON THE BASIS that it was your work that got and maintained those assets not the NZRFU?

Hopefully that gives some insights into the sentiments behind Ms Skinners statements.  These wankers who say they can’t understand why these Clubs are not ‘taking one for the team’ are not the ones who have put their heart and soul into the  assets these plonkers seek to steal.  

Just because they have mismanaged all the funds they have ever had they now arbitrarily decide to grab the proceeds of these volunteers hard work.

The Studs in NZ owe their existence to the racing industry - imagine how Chittick or Schick or the Chittys would feel if the Industry had the right to and exercised that right to grab their goods?

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 2

32 minutes ago, Reefton said:

It’s a bit like this TG(and I know because I have the same sentiments - over my dead body are those buldging arseholes at NZTR or Rita getting the proceeds of my club’s property).

I don’t know if you are a Member of the local Rugby Club or the Bowls Club or even say the Plunket Branch?  If you are you might be one who marks out the fields or washes the Jerseys, maybe runs the bar after the game or the days bowls or sits on a raffle table to raise funds for the maintenance of facilities and furtherance of the Clubs aims?  None of which you would get paid for of course.

Now lets say the National parent body is running short on dosh(maybe to play their All Blacks perhaps).  So they say well the Galah’s rugby Club owes it’s existence to the game of Rugby and we need the money so we are going to seize the  Clubs assets so we can pay Sam Cane’s wages.  (Plunket actually did it a few years back).  I imagine you might be a bit pissed off would you not?

Now that wouldn’t mean you hate the game of rugby but it might well see you fight ever so strongly to keep your Clubs assets ON THE BASIS that it was your work that got and maintained those assets not the NZRFU?

Hopefully that gives some insights into the sentiments behind Ms Skinners statements.  These wankers who say they can’t understand why these Clubs are not ‘taking one for the team’ are not the ones who have put their heart and soul into the  assets these plonkers seek to steal.  

Just because they have mismanaged all the funds they have ever had they now arbitrarily decide to grab the proceeds of these volunteers hard work.

The Studs in NZ owe their existence to the racing industry - imagine how Chittick or Schick or the Chittys would feel if the Industry had the right to and exercised that right to grab their goods?

I fully understand the sentiment and passion behind such comments, ,but if i was a current member of a rugby  club i wouldn't want our clubs assets going to the plunket society,womens refuge or whatever other organisation you can think of.I just can't see a rugby club behaving like that. Babies or battered woman may be good causes,but rugby is their  passion,thats who they would support.

Like i said,why can't they be an integral part of the club 25 minutes down the road and help direct that club. Its not a them and us thing at all.Its just been made to be that way.  I don't know why some country clubs who are viable can't continue if they want without industry funding if they feel they can,but i can't work out why Auckland needs two racing clubs.