Bit Of A Yarn

Petition against racing bailout

18 hours ago, the galah said:

About 15 years ago i worked for a company that had about 40 in the workforce,and about 30 of them bet on the horses .  Most of them have now retired or passed away. Now days,,the same company still has about has about 40 with a lot younger average age,but only 3 would bet regularly on the horses,and 3 occasionally.   Thats why i always say  the focus on attracting punters should be on the people over 40 as that is where the customers come from.  The first workplace i was in was a govt department  of about 12  and they ran a betting syndicate and everyone participated and took an interest. I even remember the boss lady used to let me finish early if there was a local twilight meeting. mind you that was over 30 years ago.

There is no doubt interest is waning. I think the lack of free to air tv and no exposure in the local paper has speed that up. and now they have taken away the radio.

Reading the previous  posts and everyone seems to be looking at the negatives.  If people within the industry can't start talking in a positive way,then why would anyone not currently involved want to take an interest.

Yip I have had very similar experiences.

Unfortunately the TAB et al have not focused on retaining (albeit aging) punters like ourselves but have kidded themselves that they can attract a new punter - tech savvy etc - much like themselves.

They have thrown the baby out with the bath water - there is no turning that around.

• Like 2

I think a lot of the industry media made coverage around horse welfare just comes across as propaganda from the industry and is therefore ignored or swatted aside by those that wish to halt the sport.

In my opinion the coverage we get for welfare issues doesn't go deep enough and needs to aim at people who are at the beginners level with regards to racehorses , the reason I say this is because the public even the keen punter and avid racegoer have absolutely no idea about racehorses in this country , in fact probably even less than those that work in Petone.

Why on earth would an organisation like NZTR give the role of leading horse welfare to someone who probably hasn't got a clue about the day to day care of the animal etc, its just plain tokenism . I'd have thought its that important a role you would have someone who has had experience in the industry or at re homing horses etc.

NZTR pay it lip service by putting up a story with Event Stars once a month when its much more important than that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Unfortunately the TAB et al have not focused on retaining (albeit aging) punters like ourselves but have kidded themselves that they can attract a new punter - tech savvy etc - much like themselves.

They have thrown the baby out with the bath water - there is no turning that around.

Agree , there has been too much focus on the Elite punter and not the $50-$500 a week punter, so they have gone MIA or new ones haven't been created .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark D said:

This was their biggest and continuing mistake . How many people were introduced to racing , gambling , horses in general , by a parent or a grand parent taking them to the races or going into a TAB when they put their bets on , or asked to listen/watch that race for their elder because they were tied up and couldn't listen watch and got the bug .

My old man was in picking comp at his work but never bet , worked nights and Saturdays were his sleep in so would ask me to listen to the first couple of races for him and tell him where his horses finished and write down divvies etc . Feckin hooked , hook , line and sinker . I was 13 , 59 now , horses been my life and i've had a ball .

Not looking after an ageing population of punters has cost them the next 2 .

• Like 6

1 hour ago, curious said:

Wouldn't this be a good time to pilot no whip or much restricted whip use racing?

The no whips issue is a tricky one . The jocks say there is a safety issue and i'm not about to argue with them , their riding them , i'll trust their judgement . I've known some horses to take the piss when a rider doesn't have a stick to give them a tap over the shoulder .

I'm in favour of the restricted whip use , no striking behind the saddle and only used on the shoulder , jockeys can't let go of rein/reins to use , very much in CWJ mould . 

It's not the perfect solve as people will say , a lot of horses wont try , but my argument is that maybe they have become accustomed to waiting to get hit before trying , plenty switch off if hit . Maybe if they are never struck behind they will stay honest , longer . But they are bloody intelligent animals , so as i say not a perfect solve and it still wont appease the neysayers .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Freda said:

Yes,  well-meaning no doubt,  but misinformed.  But what will our industries do to combat this mindset?

Putting out fluffy media reports on the NZTR website will do nothing,  and, sadly, even though Marty Burns [ NZTR animal welfare officer] is a decent and approachable bloke,  he can't single-handedly produce stables and properties across the country to re-school and re-home retired racehorses.  Set ups like that require both funding and effort,  both of which seem to be lacking.

Compare our operations with V'Landy's immediate response to the sensationalist TV doco. about the horse abbatoir.

Even the much maligned greyhound code has kennels dedicated to rehoming retired dogs.  I have one myself from such a setup,  and the girls involved do a great job checking out the dog's potential home, and following up the progress.

I don't think harness is organised, but there are well -intentioned people who do try to rehome as well.

No such system with T.B's although there are people in the Waikato who handle Hong Kong returnees.    [ Gina Schick ?]

Despite all the grand talk emanating, I have never been contacted by anyone from NZTR about any horse removed from my stable return list.

That needs to be addressed and smartly, if public perception is to be altered in any way.

And,  although I am a lover of the jumper,  the sight of an exhausted horse floundering over the last fence is not one I like.  One way, possibly, would be to remove the last fence where that fence is close to the finish.   Allow a decent run-in so that horses battle out the finish on the flat.  Less chance for injury and much less horrifying for the general public.

I agree with the comment about making the last fence further from the finish. They don't have to reduce the number of jumps,just don't put the last one within 400m of the finish.

You mention your not sure whether the harness industry have a re homing programme . They do promote life after racing. They call it  Harness Education and Rehoming Opportunists.(HERO). I have seen the Markham family from methven promoting it and have read about Jackie law in canterbury rehoming over 600 and brenda middleton in the waikato re homing over 500.  There are several others  who do a marvelous job.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nomates said:

This was their biggest and continuing mistake . How many people were introduced to racing , gambling , horses in general , by a parent or a grand parent taking them to the races or going into a TAB when they put their bets on , or asked to listen/watch that race for their elder because they were tied up and couldn't listen watch and got the bug .

My old man was in picking comp at his work but never bet , worked nights and Saturdays were his sleep in so would ask me to listen to the first couple of races for him and tell him where his horses finished and write down divvies etc . Feckin hooked , hook , line and sinker . I was 13 , 59 now , horses been my life and i've had a ball .

Not looking after an ageing population of punters has cost them the next 2 .

So very accurate nomates.