Bit Of A Yarn

Petition against racing bailout

Read this this morning and imagined that some on here would say that it it is just a few lefties and doesn't reflect public opinion which made me reflect on my own "bubble" - my workplace.  Maybe 150 employees no one other than me interested in racing and at least 1 who believes that all horse racing and dog racing should be banned. Racing is not what it was and Peters and co. policies and plans will lead to its demise.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mark D said:

This is another reason why racing has to get it right this time , if they go ahead and build all 3 A/W's and we start getting regular career ending and life ending injuries then it will be all the ammunition needed to put the last nails in the coffin . 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

This is another reason why racing has to get it right this time , if they go ahead and build all 3 A/W's and we start getting regular career ending and life ending injuries then it will be all the ammunition needed to put the last nails in the coffin . 

Spot on

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

Read this this morning and imagined that some on here would say that it it is just a few lefties and doesn't reflect public opinion which made me reflect on my own "bubble" - my workplace.  Maybe 150 employees no one other than me interested in racing and at least 1 who believes that all horse racing and dog racing should be banned. Racing is not what it was and Peters and co. policies and plans will lead to its demise.

Some of my own family thinks racing is both corrupt and cruel.

Just now, Ludwig said:

That must make conversation around the family lunch table a bit awkward.

Ha....no,  they are awesome people,  and are very supportive of me.  They have never had any involvement though ( I'm a late-comer to the clan)  and dont like the concept, although they all love animals generally. 

Once I start winding them up about Cinderella horses dont get a mention!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark D said:

About 15 years ago i worked for a company that had about 40 in the workforce,and about 30 of them bet on the horses .  Most of them have now retired or passed away. Now days,,the same company still has about has about 40 with a lot younger average age,but only 3 would bet regularly on the horses,and 3 occasionally.   Thats why i always say  the focus on attracting punters should be on the people over 40 as that is where the customers come from.  The first workplace i was in was a govt department  of about 12  and they ran a betting syndicate and everyone participated and took an interest. I even remember the boss lady used to let me finish early if there was a local twilight meeting. mind you that was over 30 years ago.

There is no doubt interest is waning. I think the lack of free to air tv and no exposure in the local paper has speed that up. and now they have taken away the radio.

Reading the previous  posts and everyone seems to be looking at the negatives.  If people within the industry can't start talking in a positive way,then why would anyone not currently involved want to take an interest.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Get rid of jumps racing.

Sacrifice this aspect of racing to protect the rest. I think it would make racing more acceptable to the public and help make the industry more sustainable.

Will make no difference , they are on a righteous crusade . We have to be smarter , sort out the whips and don' give them rocks to throw back at us i.e. A/W's . 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Get rid of jumps racing.

Sacrifice this aspect of racing to protect the rest. I think it would make racing more acceptable to the public and help make the industry more sustainable.

Unfortunately I think its only the first layer to be attacked, once that goes its 2yo racing etc etc.

I don't mind people having a say , but these type of people just have no idea what they are talking about, they make out the horses are mistreated etc which is just plain wrong and its one of these cases where good intent can lead to even worse outcomes.

I'd have no argument with anyone who has some complaints about the bail out, as I'm of the opinion its undeserved and will be wasted but making it about animal cruelty just diverts attention from the real problems in the industry.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Get rid of jumps racing.

Agree. Disgusting seeing horses come to the last fence having to jump it almost exhausted. However the economics just don't add up. Transitioning horses from racing to show jumping or for hack could still occur with races for qualified jumpers on the flat.

Given the number of injuries to riders both on raceday and at home, the level of interest both from punters and spectators plus all the costs its a no brainer. Jumps racing has to go.

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Will make no difference , they are on a righteous crusade . We have to be smarter , sort out the whips and don' give them rocks to throw back at us i.e. A/W's . 

'they' are still the minority, most of the public don't care about racing. However, the people who are on this crusade against racing can bring out their trump card which is jumps racing, as they believe it is cruel to animals which, in my opinion, is true.

We all know if we searched up jump racing falls on YouTube it would be a hideous sight. No argument about the treatment of horses  can be won if jumps racing continues. 

Whips are small fry compared to the destruction of horses trying to jump a fence and then dying from the fall.

3 hours ago, Huey said:

I don't mind people having a say , but these type of people just have no idea what they are talking about, they make out the horses are mistreated etc which is just plain wrong and its one of these cases where good intent can lead to even worse outcomes.

The video of the horses being slaughtered in Australia and jumps racing would suggest otherwise in the eyes of the public. Take away the extremes and it would make the public perception much better.

5 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Whenever people go on about horse racing being cruel, I bring up duck shooting, duck hunting season etc. 

I agree with you Happy, jumps racing should go. Wouldn't mind if whips went too. 

Yes, whips on horses or for your nightime activity?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

'they' are still the minority, most of the public don't care about racing. However, the people who are on this crusade against racing can bring out their trump card which is jumps racing, as they believe it is cruel to animals which, in my opinion, is true.

We all know if we searched up jump racing falls on YouTube it would be a hideous sight. No argument about the treatment of horses  can be won if jumps racing continues. 

Whips are small fry compared to the destruction of horses trying to jump a fence and then dying from the fall.

The video of the horses being slaughtered in Australia and jumps racing would suggest otherwise in the eyes of the public. Take away the extremes and it would make the public perception much better.

Unfortunately it wouldn't matter and iota to them, why do you think they protest outside of Melbourne Cup day as well as some other major meets and jumps racing, they wont all racing stopped , you should have a chat to them someday you'll see what I mean fairly quickly.

Yes,  well-meaning no doubt,  but misinformed.  But what will our industries do to combat this mindset?

Putting out fluffy media reports on the NZTR website will do nothing,  and, sadly, even though Marty Burns [ NZTR animal welfare officer] is a decent and approachable bloke,  he can't single-handedly produce stables and properties across the country to re-school and re-home retired racehorses.  Set ups like that require both funding and effort,  both of which seem to be lacking.

Compare our operations with V'Landy's immediate response to the sensationalist TV doco. about the horse abbatoir.

Even the much maligned greyhound code has kennels dedicated to rehoming retired dogs.  I have one myself from such a setup,  and the girls involved do a great job checking out the dog's potential home, and following up the progress.

I don't think harness is organised, but there are well -intentioned people who do try to rehome as well.

No such system with T.B's although there are people in the Waikato who handle Hong Kong returnees.    [ Gina Schick ?]

Despite all the grand talk emanating, I have never been contacted by anyone from NZTR about any horse removed from my stable return list.

That needs to be addressed and smartly, if public perception is to be altered in any way.

And,  although I am a lover of the jumper,  the sight of an exhausted horse floundering over the last fence is not one I like.  One way, possibly, would be to remove the last fence where that fence is close to the finish.   Allow a decent run-in so that horses battle out the finish on the flat.  Less chance for injury and much less horrifying for the general public.

• Like 1

While I'm in the frame....the practice, common in the UK jumps scene, of easing a horse out if it can't figure in the finish, or comes to the end of its stage of fitness, is not so common here.   How often do you see a horse drifting out of contention, clearly tired, and  under the bat?   

Terrible look.

• Like 2

Go and have a look at some horrific pictures of  ' pleasure horses '  standing in paddocks with no tucker, shit up to their fetlocks, starving...others miserably behind white tape,  synthetic rugs on in hot summer weather, no attention for weeks at a time...you think those horses are happy to be born?

Fact is they dont consider ethical matters,   they just are.

I have euthanized horses I dont think are suitable for young riders, I place my retirees very carefully but I still can't track them for years to come. I just have to hope that they remain in kind hands.

Plenty of humans might face dismal futures too,  fact is none of us have a choice in the beginning. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Don't disagree with what you say HS , but , they may be a minority but they have a platform , they make the news , they get in the paper which is more than we can do most of the time and even then it's usually a negative , so they will keep garnering support and they wont stop .

What we need to do as an industry is give them as little ammunition as possible 

Jumping may be their trump card but i am sure they have just as much dislike to see beaten and tired horses getting the crap beaten out of it over the last 200mtrs or 2yos get the bash at it's first start . I remember watching aghast as a 2yo got hit 12+ times from the 600 in a 2yo trial , apparently he was a bit of a bludger and needed a wake up call , not a one off i'm sure .

We need to be proactive in all areas , not just get it right but be seen to get it right . Take the wind out of their sails . It's not going to stop them , they want it all gone , but make their arguments as weak as possible to use against us .

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

No such system with T.B's although there are people in the Waikato who handle Hong Kong returnees.    [ Gina Schick ?]

I know a lady in the Waikato that has rehomed my last 2 racehorses , absolutely fantastic to deal with , finds the right homes for each horse , doesn't just move them on to the first person that comes along . Anybody who might be interested in utilizing her services just PM me and i'll pass on her contact details . 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

While I'm in the frame....the practice, common in the UK jumps scene, of easing a horse out if it can't figure in the finish, or comes to the end of its stage of fitness, is not so common here.   How often do you see a horse drifting out of contention, clearly tired, and  under the bat?   

Terrible look.

But we have head to head betting which requires them to ride them out , i hate it .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1