Bit Of A Yarn

When is a standing start - Not a standing start???

Brodie

When it is at Addington Raceway!!

FFS race 4 at Addington today was meant to be a 2000metre stand!

If this is the best that Addington can dish out on a Sunday from a starter, then geez they need serious help and punters should vote with their feet!

Absolutely ridiculous that the favourite,  is allowed to be in a full blown run up rather than any semblance of a stand!

If that is the very best that he can do, then he needs to be in the retirement paddock!!!

Seriously, why should punters have to put up with this shite, time after time????

no I didnt have a wager, first race I watched all day, and just pathetic from Addingtons starter!

Waste of time having a go from stands at Addington as it is just A raffle, and punters need better than this!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brodie said:

If this is the best that Addington can dish out on a Sunday from a starter, then geez they need serious help and punters should vote with their feet!

Absolutely ridiculous that the favourite,  is allowed to be in a full blown run up rather than any semblance of a stand!

If that is the very best that he can do, then he needs to be in the retirement paddock!!!

Seriously, why should punters have to put up with this shite, time after time????

no I didnt have a wager, first race I watched all day, and just pathetic from Addingtons starter!

Waste of time having a go from stands at Addington as it is just A raffle, and punters need better than this!

who was the starter??

I must be watching a different race here as well. The start was delayed because of a couple of horses not lining up,he sent them around again,then started them with them moving forward with all horses within a length except the horse who refused to line up ,but even it was moving forward.

I believe there is a deliberate attempt to undermine the starter,which also occurs in the media. People have pre conceived ideas,stuck in the past,failing to recognise the improvement in the starts that has occurred in the last 12 months. Its all an echo chamber.

I'm thinking i need to spend more time doing something constructive on a sunday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the galah said:

I must be watching a different race here as well. The start was delayed because of a couple of horses not lining up,he sent them around again,then started them with them moving forward with all horses within a length except the horse who refused to line up ,but even it was moving forward.

I believe there is a deliberate attempt to undermine the starter,which also occurs in the media. People have pre conceived ideas,stuck in the past,failing to recognise the improvement in the starts that has occurred in the last 12 months. Its all an echo chamber.

I'm thinking i need to spend more time doing something constructive on a sunday.

Galah, a standing start is a stand or is it a moving start?

Yes there was a bit of mucking around as the drivers never know what sort of start it is going to be!

They should be all on a level playing field for stands or get rid of the stands if the starter can not start them correctly.

The Brent White trained gorse was back from the tape and was moving very quickly when we got the riiiiiiiight!!

Some horses were standing still and others playing up and yet it is a start?????

They are a shocker, and need to be rid of like Auckland has already done!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Galah, a standing start is a stand or is it a moving start?

Yes there was a bit of mucking around as the drivers never know what sort of start it is going to be!

They should be all on a level playing field for stands or get rid of the stands kf the starter can not start them correctly.

The Brent White trained gorse was back from the tape and was moving very quickly when we got the riiiiiiiight!!

Some horses were standing still and others playing up and yet it is a start?????

They are a shocker, and need to be rid of like Auckland has already done!

Like i've said before. They changed  the protocol around the way races are to be started a few months back,at the request of the licence holders,and the starter is doing exactly what he has been asked to do.  No starter will ever get it perfect everytime.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, hunterthepunter said:

they want to charge the starter   as lost the plot at starting races . was he the trainer of play on??

The starter is also a Stipe and therefore is never ever scrutinised by the other stipes.

He can do no wrong, and yet he continues to muck up.

Nothing personal against the starter whatsoever, but if harness racing expects punters to help them out with wagering, they should be able to expect far better starts.

I am a firm believer in if someone is not up to the job, then they should always be replaced by someone far more capable!

The standing starts at the 2000metre mark always appear worse than the 2600m because you see them sideon!!
Most of the time They are not great, and often they are just terrible!

I dont know what this new protocol is?

They are all different, and it just seems that anything will do just to get the race underway!

If this is going to continue, then get rid of them and make every race a mobile!!!!

Edited by Brodie

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

They should be all on a level playing field for stands or get rid of the stands if the starter can not start them correctly.

Best you dont watch the standing starts down south, they are three times as bad at times.

Greg

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, the galah said:

I am sorry galah but I have been watching standing starts way back to when Ron Carter was the Addington starter and never have I seen so many shambles of starts as in the last few years. That Italian Lad race was the doozy of them all. Some standing, some walking,  some running and the front line in the shape of an arc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Furlong said:

I am sorry galah but I have been watching standing starts way back to when Ron Carter was the Addington starter and never have I seen so many shambles of starts as in the last few years. That Italian Lad race was the doozy of them all. Some standing, some walking,  some running and the front line in the shape of an arc. 

Italian was also on the move up, nowhere near a standing start.

If the starter is allowed to do whatever he likes, then ditch all of the stands and have mobiles.

It is just blatantly stupid that anything goes as far as a stand goes!

Anyone could be better than what we currently have!!!!

1 hour ago, Honestjohn said:

A good trainer teaches his horse to step away.  Lots of practice and do it or stick to mobiles.

trainer/owners choice?

Honest John, most horses will begin at home lr the trainers wouldnt be lining them up in stands, you would think!

However, on raceday with excitement around and other horses playing up a bkt, puts some horses off.

Sometimes the quickest standing start horses miss away!

The problem with our starts from the stand is that it ks just a mystery envelope as to what the starter does in regards to when he lets them Go!

To the current starter, anything goes, sometimes standing, sometimes run Ups and often a combination of both!!

The starter may well think that what he is doing is OK, but as a punter I am now going to boycott the 2000metre stands, as they are just so pathetically inconsistent!!

If this is the best the starter can do, give the job to someone who can perform, or ditch the stands!

Has the starter been questioned about the starts?

No because they are scared to question his performance for some stupid reason

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Honest John, most horses will begin at home lr the trainers wouldnt be lining them up in stands, you would think!

However, on raceday with excitement around and other horses playing up a bkt, puts some horses off.

Sometimes the quickest standing start horses miss away!

The problem with our starts from the stand is that it ks just a mystery envelope as to what the starter does in regards to when he lets them Go!

To the current starter, anything goes, sometimes standing, sometimes run Ups and often a combination of both!!

The starter may well think that what he is doing is OK, but as a punter I am now going to boycott the 2000metre stands, as they are just so pathetically inconsistent!!

If this is the best the starter can do, give the job to someone who can perform, or ditch the stands!

Has the starter been questioned about the starts?

No because they are scared to question his performance for some stupid reason

Well they used to have learner workouts then trials. As far as i know they still do. That's where they learn. I guess cup,day would be different??

2 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Well they used to have learner workouts then trials. As far as i know they still do. That's where they learn. I guess cup,day would be different??

Yeas they still do have plenty Of workouts and able to get the education, however trials no.s are always small.

It is the inconsistency that is blatantly wrong with our standing starts!

When you do your homework for what you want to offload on, you know what horses may well gallop away from the standing start!

Yesterday the favourite was not standing anywhere near still, it was fully charging the tape, and got a major advantage over the horses that were standing!

Make up their mind, they all stand or they all are moving, otherwise have the starter operating the mobile only, if he thinks a stand can be anything!!!!!!

Maybe they should change the name to non mobile start?

Maybe, mystery start, or take your pick start?

Lotto start?

Make your luck start?

Anything goes start?

Typical crap start?

Unfair start?

Definitely not a standing start?

Allsorts start?

Peter Lamb start?

Anything but a fair start?

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Maybe they should change the name to non mobile start?

Maybe, mystery start, or take your pick start?

Lotto start?

Make your luck start?

Anything goes start?

Typical crap start?

Unfair start?

Definitely not a standing start?

Allsorts start?

Peter Lamb start?

Anything but a fair start?

the running lamb start

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 2:57 PM, Brodie said:

how many(if any?##      the answer is blowing you4r cock, an blowing in tyour wind????

i bet u dount bet! haahhhehhhhehh!

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

do messrs lamb, ydgren, mcintyre and williams think elmer just has a great sense of timing 

Ranga, nothing to do with timing!

All we want is consistency with the standing starts!!

Why should some horses have to stand and others are allowed to be moving!

It is not a fair system and we require a starter that  is respected by the drivers and know how they work!

When you are calculating that a horse will probably be slow away, and then the starter allows the horse to be in a jog, it is not good enough!