Bit Of A Yarn

Finally CEO announcement! Not great news though!!

Brodie

Phil Holden CEO of HRNZ has finally made the announcement that was due last week, but unfortunately he has not got great news!

Firstly the stake  money available from the TAB for racing at $139m is the same as last year, however harness racing is going to receive 7% less, because their turnover was down compared to greyhound racing!
This can be majorly contributed to the fact that the NZ TAB has restricted the Brodster So much that he hardly ever bothers!

Secondly, the socalled Anti Money Laundering Bill has also majorly affected turnover so much, so that what the Brodster has said on several times, clearly shows that once again he is on the money!!

The fact is that the reduction in turnover on harness is solely due to the NZ TAB making stupid decisions!!!

To improve turnover they Need to encourage punters by getting rid of the restrictions and then the AML restrictions will not matter !

The other major decision by the TAB is that instead of paying the harness clubs as they go, they are going to be making the payments one month after!!!

This is going to severely affect the drivers and drivers funds!!!

Things are going from bad to worse for everyone!

Edited by Brodie

13 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Firstly the stake  money available from the TAB for racing at $139m is the same as last year, however harness racing is going to receive 7% less, because their turnover was down compared to greyhound racing!
This can be majorly contributed to the fact that the NZ TAB has restricted the Brodster So much that he hardly ever bothers!

That doesn't make much sense unless you are losing. If they are letting you on fixed odds and you are winning and reducing their profit they have less to pay out.

Unless you are backing on the tote and therefore increasing turnover!

Edited by Nowornever
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brodie said:

however harness racing is going to receive 7% less, because their turnover was down compared to greyhound racing!

It is a spiral of doom. Can they not see that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

That doesn't make much sense unless you are losing. If they are letting you on fixed odds and you are winning and reducing their profit they have less to pay out.

Unless you are backing on the tote and therefore increasing turnover!

You're wasting your breath NON — this has been pointed out to Brodie Basher ad infinitum, but he seems unable to understand it (or is just unwilling to do so).

When George Orwell posed the question: "What can you do against the lunatic who gives your arguments 

a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?”, he'd obviously just been talking to one of Brodie's Basher's ancestors.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Basil said:

You're wasting your breath NON — this has been pointed out to Brodie Basher ad infinitum, but he seems unable to understand it (or is just unwilling to do so).

When George Orwell posed the question: "What can you do against the lunatic who gives your arguments 

a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?”, he'd obviously just been talking to one of Brodie's Basher's ancestors.

I get you everytime Basil!

What part of the NZ TAB’s flawed business plan do you not get?

Turnover dropping so NZ TAB pays out less to harness for stakes and therefore We lose horses, trainers, owners and even more punters!!

It is such a flawed business plan that will inevitably result in the TAB wanting more money to bail it out, and our Lefty government will be saying no!

Any business needs turnover and new people coming through or it will go broke.The NZ TAB would be gone if it hadnt been for the NZ Taxpayer.

To stop any winning punter permanently and the AML is just putting a permanent  nail in the coffin!

They may as well get rid of the Bookies if they are not Prepared to take  bets off punters who want to offload!!

To  be announcing bets like $200 as a noteworthy wager, just goes to show how pathetic the Bookies have become!!!

Edited by Brodie

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

Secondly, the socalled Anti Money Laundering Bill has also majorly affected turnover so much, so that what the Brodster has said on several times, clearly shows that once again he is on the money!!

If that were the case Brodie surely the TB payout would be a lot lower also given the pools they bet into are way larger. But carry on your crusade and dont let facts get in the way of your story.

Bad press is not helping Harness at present and as the media  focus on sensationalism for click bait expect more of the same for all codes. Hence why Integrity is everything going forward, not giving media any more ammo is thus  imperative IMHO

Greg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Bad press is not helping Harness at present and as the media  focus on sensationalism for click bait expect more of the same for all codes. Hence why Integrity is everything going forward, not giving media any more ammo is thus  imperative IMHO

Sorry but how does the sensationalism affect the integrity of Harness racing?  Most sane people would see that it is no different to the rest of society.  Only the dumbest would relate that to integrity of the punting product.

The RIU driven INCA witch hunt damaged the integrity of the sport.  So far that has been all smoke and no fire.  But will we see those individuals incompetency dealt to for the benefit of the "integrity" of the sport?  

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Brodie said:

LOL!   well I gotta admit you did warn them!

• Like 1

This obviously happened.

SUNP0120.thumb.jpg.5c7cdec33f36685909cf6b95028d1aa5.jpg

When this happened, it was against GRNZ rules and had been for many years.

The court system choose not to go to trial as the SPCA were unable to prove the rabbit was alive prior to its inhumane slaughter (in my opinion). Where integrity lacks in this situation, is that the RIU did not charge for the infraction as the welfare code clearly states that "live baiting" is with either a live or DEAD animal.

I've always said, what will happen happened. Where integrity comes in to play is whether the perpetrators are held to account for their breach of the rules. In this instance, it appears that the view of GRNZ & the RIU is there is nothing to be seen here, as there has not been a JCA hearing in any form over this well documented infraction.

GRNZ & the RIU have damaged the integrity of the sport, not the perpetrators.

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

If that were the case Brodie surely the TB payout would be a lot lower also given the pools they bet into are way larger. But carry on your crusade and dont let facts get in the way of your story.

Greg

Greg, truth of the matter is that the Bookies dont worry too much about the gallop punters.

Not sure now what the figures are, but several years ago there were next to no restricted punters on the gallops.

The fact is that the AML act has reduced turnover on harness hugely, as I said it would as punters just dont bother now!

To have to Identify yourself for collecting $1k irrespective of how much you put on is just blatant control, that the TAB wants.

You would have to be losing the plot if you think that people are money laundering for 1k at the TAB!!!!!

The fact that Trackside Bookie announced bets of $200  is worth mentioning shows how risk averse they now are!!!!

Edited by Brodie

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The fact is that the AML act has reduced turnover on harness hugely, as I said it would as punters just dont bother now!

To have to Identify yourself for collecting $1k irrespective of how much you put on is just blatant control, that the TAB wants.

You are correct.  There is no AML legal justification for it.  The codes have let RITA/NZRB/TAB get away with this incompetency.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brodie said:

I get you everytime Basil!

What part of the NZ TAB’s flawed business plan do you not get?

Turnover dropping so NZ TAB pays out less to harness for stakes and therefore We lose horses, trainers, owners and even more punters!!

It is such a flawed business plan that will inevitably result in the TAB wanting more money to bail it out, and our Lefty government will be saying no!

Any business needs turnover and new people coming through or it will go broke.The NZ TAB would be gone if it hadnt been for the NZ Taxpayer.

To stop any winning punter permanently and the AML is just putting a permanent  nail in the coffin!

They may as well get rid of the Bookies if they are not Prepared to take  bets off punters who want to offload!!

To  be announcing bets like $200 as a noteworthy wager, just goes to show how pathetic the Bookies have become!!!

This reminds me of nothing so much as Churchill's observation about Baldwin: "he occasionally stumbled over the truth, but quickly picked himself up and carried on as though nothing had happened".

You're quite right Brodie Basher that the TAB's current existence is due to Peters-enforced taxpayer generosity. And you're also right that this was due to a very flawed business model — if you've bothered to read the TAB accounts, you'll know that the main cause was large losses on fixed odds betting, so getting 'rid of the bookies' is also a stumble over the truth. So far, so good.

However, this flash of insight appears to be nothing more than a passing fancy, as your preferred solution is to double down on the original problem and have the TAB incur greater, not smaller, losses on fixed odds. That will certainly guarantee the need for more taxpayer largesse. Brilliant! 

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

This reminds me of nothing so much as Churchill's observation about Baldwin: "he occasionally stumbled over the truth, but quickly picked himself up and carried on as though nothing had happened".

You're quite right Brodie Basher that the TAB's current existence is due to Peters-enforced taxpayer generosity. And you're also right that this was due to a very flawed business model — if you've bothered to read the TAB accounts, you'll know that the main cause was large losses on fixed odds betting, so getting 'rid of the bookies' is also a stumble over the truth. So far, so good.

However, this flash of insight appears to be nothing more than a passing fancy, as your preferred solution is to double down on the original problem and have the TAB incur greater, not smaller, losses on fixed odds. That will certainly guarantee the need for more taxpayer largesse. Brilliant! 

basil basher

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

What other countries have bookies that are going broke???   It turns out  Looking at what centrebet set sports odds at and then copying them isnt working out???  Restrict the winners and then we will have only losers!!!!  GEE WILIKERS BATMAN thats a genius!!!!     .... to the batmobile a.s.a.p but first lets stop off for a $750 celebratory lunch first!!!

As for Churchill he stumbled over a lot of things!  most notably the furniture as he was a notoriously depressed  chronic alcoholic!!!  Brodie doesnt drink alcohol, its bad for his complexion,  A kale and wheatgrass smoothie is his choice if your shouting!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

In case you did not know - its the LAW.

Nothing to do with current NZTAB or RITA who i heard sought 10K but were unsuccessful . Blame those who ran the show beforehand i.e Glenda and John for the 1K limit

Greg

4 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Sorry but how does the sensationalism affect the integrity of Harness racing?

Why am i surprised by that question from you, think cause and effect or is that beyond you.

Actually , try reading and understanding this , Newspapers both paper and online  have been all over INCA and M Anderson cases. Ask yourself has there been any positive press about Harness out of it. Answer,, nothing positive at all  for Racing. All that i  have heard for a few years now is  peoples perception that the game is full of crooks,i.e lacks integrity.

As i posted elsewhere i  know of 4 punters who wont touch harness now and they previously would be in the 5-10K a week spend.

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Newspapers both paper and online  have been all over INCA

Yeah and who started that bullshit fest?  None other than the RIU who have not yet succeeded in any case proving there was race fixing!

3 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

As i posted elsewhere i  know of 4 punters who wont touch harness now and they previously would be in the 5-10K a week spend.

They can't have been very good punters because they would have been banned. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS why don't you just blame Adam and that bloody apple!

I know its an inconvenient truth but it occurred on their watch

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Can you show us where in the law it states this?

I'm sure if you use your excellent research skills you'll find it .  I'm busy enjoying the sun and planning an afternoons punting.

Greg

1 minute ago, JJ Flash said:

I'm sure if you use your excellent research skills you'll find it .  I'm busy enjoying the sun and planning an afternoons punting.

So you make statements but don't have the research at your finger tips to prove the veracity of them?  Planning on Aussie races obviously.