Bit Of A Yarn

Questions being asked about AWT'S.

Chief Stipe

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

Utter folly if this goes forward with condition NZ racing is in . The reward for risk is negligible and nothing more than a gamble . A poor one at that .

This is what happens you don't have strong leadership in the industry or persons running it who haven't a clue about the advantages or disadvantages of such decisions.

Don't forget the head of NZTR thought horses galloped every day till recently,  that might seem like a small thing but it gives a fair insight into the lack of knowledge these people making decisions have regarding the sport. 

• Champ Post 1

59 minutes ago, Huey said:

This is what happens you don't have strong leadership in the industry or persons running it who haven't a clue about the advantages or disadvantages of such decisions.

Don't forget the head of NZTR thought horses galloped every day till recently,  that might seem like a small thing but it gives a fair insight into the lack of knowledge these people making decisions have regarding the sport. 

These decisions are being made by the club themselves tho , utterly ridiculous when the industry is in such a precarious position . I just can't see the upside .

19 minutes ago, nomates said:

These decisions are being made by the club themselves tho , utterly ridiculous when the industry is in such a precarious position . I just can't see the upside .

But NZTR are clearly supporting/influencing them. Wouldn't happen without them. Take for example the venues plan all made with this in mind. 

• Like 2

Mills is a hard thing saying it will benefit the provinces.  FFS they intend to close multiple provincial tracks(ours included eventually) to provide dates for that AWT.  Having said that with the record of major Clubs in this country they will cock it up just like they cocked up the original Riccarton track renovation years ago.

Anyway Riccarton is supposed to have got $16-$18m from the sale of that land near the chute(I know they might not have received any yet but they are getting it) and they have full replacement insurance cover on that Grandstand they will not rebuild(certainly not in a grand a form as it is now) so they should have plenty of money of their own without sucking on the PGF tit.

And as I have said before they should be taking the opportunity all this money presents and moving to a better venue out west somewhere with better facilities, better viewing and out of that stinking nor east wind that seems to blow there every time I turn up.

How can you justify retaining it when a significant portion of the people never go outside to watch the races just look at the TV's? 

Still it is the hierarchy of NZ racing so I guess it is drawing a long bow to expect common sense

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If Covid-19 takes a hold in South Auckland this time round there won't be any new AWT's.  Won't be anymore bailouts either.

Morally, that has to be a good thing.

After all the negative publicity the feeling among many is that the remaining two would not go ahead anyway.

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If Covid-19 takes a hold in South Auckland this time round there won't be any new AWT's.  Won't be anymore bailouts either.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it is confined to South Auckland or even to the Auckland region at this stage.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, curious said:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it is confined to South Auckland or even to the Auckland region at this stage.

I'd have to agree.  Now we have no money in the bank as a country.  I doubt the Government will be able to enforce Level-3 effectively this time round certainly Level-4 won't be received well at all.

Time to take on a modified Swedish strategy.

On 10/08/2020 at 12:03 PM, mikeynz said:

Nathan Guy was minister of racing for national.he thought racing had a all weather track,at Addington,no bullshit.

Haha remember that, did quote it on the other channel, along with them to take the money and run on this issue.

Nathan Guy, Bernie Sanders, sorry, slip of the tongue, Saundry,  neither seems to know grassroots stuff do they? and some wonder why it is what it is? what a classic, ''do you gallop everyday''? what's that salary again? and Nathan, where is he by the way, anyone shirtfronted him lately.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2020 at 4:46 PM, Reefton said:

Mills is a hard thing saying it will benefit the provinces.  FFS they intend to close multiple provincial tracks(ours included eventually) to provide dates for that AWT.  Having said that with the record of major Clubs in this country they will cock it up just like they cocked up the original Riccarton track renovation years ago.

Anyway Riccarton is supposed to have got $16-$18m from the sale of that land near the chute(I know they might not have received any yet but they are getting it) and they have full replacement insurance cover on that Grandstand they will not rebuild(certainly not in a grand a form as it is now) so they should have plenty of money of their own without sucking on the PGF tit.

And as I have said before they should be taking the opportunity all this money presents and moving to a better venue out west somewhere with better facilities, better viewing and out of that stinking nor east wind that seems to blow there every time I turn up.

How can you justify retaining it when a significant portion of the people never go outside to watch the races just look at the TV's? 

Still it is the hierarchy of NZ racing so I guess it is drawing a long bow to expect common sense

You're right about the bloody easterly.  Would cut you in half most days.

• Champ Post 1

I reckon out  McLeans Island way would be a good option...poorer soil ( from an agricultural point of view, so less pricey) light, free draining land, a stone's throw from central ChCh, the Equestrian facility handy as well, also Orana Park .....yeah,  good idea Reefton.

57 minutes ago, Freda said:

I reckon out  McLeans Island way would be a good option...poorer soil ( from an agricultural point of view, so less pricey) light, free draining land, a stone's throw from central ChCh, the Equestrian facility handy as well, also Orana Park .....yeah,  good idea Reefton.

Yes McLeans Island was an idea I had as well.  The only issue is potential flooding due to proximity of the Waimak.  I even went to the stage of superimposing a Pakenham Training type complex on the area using Google Maps.  Haven't worked out how to post it here yet!

• Like 1