Bit Of A Yarn

Since Trackside Radio stopped.

I hardly take any interest in the afternoon racing,I bet I'm not alone,as we all have to work having the radio was vital to stay in touch,now without we lose touch,I only watch tv when I'm floating around,I'm sure I'm like lots that cant be bothered with smartphone all the time,in many cases it's not reliable anyway.

We see how much newstalk zb is a big part of our listening,why racing wants to be silent is beyond me.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

7 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

Totally agree, I'm on the road a lot and now listen to magic talk. I miss the horse talk stuff. How did it happen? Is it just the way the industry is going?  Down the gurgler?

Unfortunately it's not just way the industry is going , it is being (mis)managed down the gurgler .

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Depends on what factors you take into account in doing them.  In my experience you get the result you want

I did see somewhere  a while back where the cost was 3mio plus to operate . At a time when everyone was screaming for cost cuts at NZRB something had to give.

Greg

14 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I did see somewhere  a while back where the cost was 3mio plus to operate . At a time when everyone was screaming for cost cuts at NZRB something had to give.

Greg

Wasn't those guys feasting at the top table tho was it , 4/7 was your guess at the number to lose their jobs . All the sceptics weren't holding their breath that any were going to end up redundant .

The scoff at the trough continues .

8 minutes ago, nomates said:

Wasn't those guys feasting at the top table tho was it , 4/7 was your guess at the number to lose their jobs . All the sceptics weren't holding their breath that any were going to end up redundant .

The scoff at the trough continues .

Correction to the above, i previously had a guess that 3 would lose their positions. As such old management  team would be downsized from current 7 to 4 .Only time will tell if i was close or you and the skeptics were correct and that their would be no redundancies at top level.

Greg

14 minutes ago, nomates said:

Wonder how that cost/benefit ratio is going with the number of people not betting because they can't hear them anymore .

It would be a C/B analysis. Nothing to do with ratios. Either way impossible to accurately determine outcome given all the other changes that have been introduced in last 8 months IMHO.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

20 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Correction to the above, i previously had a guess that 3 would lose their positions. As such old management  team would be downsized from current 7 to 4 .Only time will tell if i was close or you and the skeptics were correct and that their would be no redundancies at top level.

Greg

Mate come on , " only time will tell " , how much time do they need . The review was happening at least 2/3 months ago , the sceptics are already correct in that this should have happened with the rest of the cuts , especially considering how quick they were to chop the plebs off at the knees .

Surely even you can't justify the length of time taken to finalize this review , or lack of information about the review since it was announced . It's just piss taking .

26 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

It would be a C/B analysis. Nothing to do with ratios. Either way impossible to accurately determine outcome given all the other changes that have been introduced in last 8 months IMHO.

Greg

Analysis/ratio , these weren't needed , and you don't need to accurately determine the outcome , anyone with any intelligence can work out if you take away a persons platform for listening to their money running then they are going to stop betting , i know of at least 5 people who have stopped or significantly reduced their betting because they can't hear the races , they couldn't afford sky so radio was their platform , how many others thruout the country are in the same boat . If nothing else it was a window into the industry . The 3mil saved wasn't going to save the industry , losing the bodies at the top table would have served the industry much more productively and financially .

Even being as positive as you are , you must see that this was a brain dead decision .

Well I dont listen to races much now,I'm not gunna be married to a smartphone nor glued to a tv,I reckon lots have lost interest and in reality once you lose that interest it's often gone 4 good,even a simulcast is a start,lots of little stations dotted around that probably cost eff all to run.

• Like 1

And that's the point , how little thought has been been put into all this . Seems their only option looked at was shut it down , did they explore other options , no indication given that there was . Lack of effort , lack of imagination , lack of any serious plan on how to start putting NZ racing back on a stable foundation . They can close down the radio station , that actually promotes gambling , but they are taking months to review senior management . 

If there was a real will this should all be sorted by now , or a serious plan on how it was going to be achieved , but they are flying by the seat of their pants . And the pants have holes in the arse .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Mate come on , " only time will tell " , how much time do they need . The review was happening at least 2/3 months ago , the sceptics are already correct in that this should have happened with the rest of the cuts , especially considering how quick they were to chop the plebs off at the knees .

Surely even you can't justify the length of time taken to finalize this review , or lack of information about the review since it was announced . It's just piss taking .

In my experience HR restructurings are always slow. Due process has to be followed and usually some  have expectations way beyond the scope of the organisation in terms of salary and titles etc

That said , you are perfectly entitled to a contrary opinion. In fact, im amazed you have not attracted more support on here for your views.

In the interim we just have to await the outcome.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

3 hours ago, nomates said:

You can watch/listen to all  races on TAB website,either by phone or PC. Something the vast majority of people own and use on a regular basis

If you cant afford Sky then should you be actually betting as it only costs about 30 a month?

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Well I dont listen to races much now,I'm not gunna be married to a smartphone nor glued to a tv,I reckon lots have lost interest and in reality once you lose that interest it's often gone 4 good,even a simulcast is a start,lots of little stations dotted around that probably cost eff all to run.

So if you dont listen to many races and dont want to watch tv you either have: no interest in racing at all  or you must travel to races to watch them live.

Might i enquire as to what you weekly spend is ?

25 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

In my experience HR restructurings are always slow. Due process has to be followed and usually some  have expectations way beyond the scope of the organisation in terms of salary and titles etc

That said , you are perfectly entitled to a contrary opinion. In fact, im amazed you have not attracted more support on here for your views.

In the interim we just have to await the outcome.

Greg

I bow to your experience around HR , my own having revolved around dealing with those depts before i became self employed . To be honest i very rarely dealt with someone in HR anywhere that actually understood their jobs , i usually had to explain not only my own employment contracts but explain in a lot of instances the employment law around what i was talking to them about . 

If they are always slow , which appears the case with the senior management team at RITA , how does that reconsile with the break neck speed with which they undertook the slashing of the plebs . They said it was in response to the Covid situation so not something they had been working on prior . Maybe i'm just cynical , i am , but it definitely appears to be double standards to me . Or maybe the really cynical part of me thinks they are just misleading the industry . ( taking the piss ) .

P.S. My wife who has worked in administration for many decades has always said that the HR is a dept for people who can't work anywhere else in an organisation . And in this i will bow to her greater knowledge .

46 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

That's absolute rubbish.  You can turn a restructure around in less than 4 weeks.  I've been in organisations where that has happened.  These goons have had over 12 months to sort the crap out.  It is just plain incompetence.  Even the fact that they went from NZRB to RITA would have assisted in fast tracking changes.  The fact is they have sat on their hands for over 18 months!

45 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

You can watch/listen to all  races on TAB website,either by phone or PC. Something the vast majority of people own and use on a regular basis

If you cant afford Sky then should you be actually betting as it only costs about 30 a month?

Greg

$19 actually. A cup of coffee a week.

48 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

So if you dont listen to many races and dont want to watch tv you either have: no interest in racing at all  or you must travel to races to watch them live.

Might i enquire as to what you weekly spend is ?

Without the radio interest has waned,I watch a few on tv ,as the interest has waned my actual spending at present is zero,remember we all have to work radio was always on when working,it is now sometimes,just tuned to something else.

Sometimes a break is good though anyway.

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's absolute rubbish.  You can turn a restructure around in less than 4 weeks.  I've been in organisations where that has happened.  These goons have had over 12 months to sort the crap out.  It is just plain incompetence.  Even the fact that they went from NZRB to RITA would have assisted in fast tracking changes.  The fact is they have sat on their hands for over 18 months!

No, its my opinion and based on years of business experience. You clearly hate the way things are being carried out at RITA and now NZTAB and say so repeatedly . In fact you talk absolute shit  re whats going on and the time frames and would  probably be the laughing stock at your target if they bothered to read your posts.

If you are so great and know so much the CEO job is up for grabs, please apply as im sure you would provide plenty of laughs at interview time  with all your wacky ideas.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash