Bit Of A Yarn

Since Trackside Radio stopped.

5 hours ago, nzhorseracing said:

I believe the Samsung S20 Note (phone) has a radio receiver, it seems in these interesting times even technology is reverting back to radio, so who will be left to broadcast during these interesting and challenging times.

I haven't heard a race all day,just had one on the tv from Belmont,most of the other stuff now I just ignore,I'm busy outdoors,with no radio I just dont bother, normally I'd listen to most of them

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

I haven't heard a race all day,just had one on the tv from Belmont,most of the other stuff now I just ignore,I'm busy outdoors,with no radio I just dont bother, normally I'd listen to most of them

You are not alone mate. I, and I am sure many, many others, were pretty much in the same boat. And not just for today. 

It's all very well for some people to say, just use the app on your smartphone, use bluetooth, etc but the reality of it is, it just isn't as simple as that.

Many people in the racing game live and/or work in rural areas, where wifi and mobile data is iffy. And even with good reception, many cell phone batteries, if not most, just can't handle the jandal without a charge at some point throughout the day, especially when working outdoors, and using the cell phone speaker at loud levels. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rusty said:

You are not alone mate. I, and I am sure many, many others, were pretty much in the same boat. And not just for today. 

It's all very well for some people to say, just use the app on your smartphone, use bluetooth, etc but the reality of it is, it just isn't as simple as that.

Many people in the racing game live and/or work in rural areas, where wifi and mobile data is iffy. And even with good reception, many cell phone batteries, if not most, just can't handle the jandal without a charge at some point throughout the day, especially when working outdoors, and using the cell phone speaker at loud levels. 

Not only that it's a complete misunderstanding of your customer base, a complete disregard for the industry. Surely there were other areas for cost savings before this crazy decision? 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Not only that it's a complete misunderstanding of your customer base, a complete disregard for the industry. Surely there were other areas for cost savings before this crazy decision? 

And that, your point above Huey, is in my opinion the most important aspect of all.

• Like 1

Many of us LIVE racing, it's in our blood. A big part of our enjoyment is hearing different perspectives and the thoughts of people involved in the industry. Radio might not be selling tickets at the front door but it's the glue that keeps everyone interested.

NZ Racing is beginning to lack importance, I understand that we're coming out of COVID/Winter, but the lack of depth is hurting long term investment and interest. Today, my time will be spent in the garden listening to (online) RSN Radio which promotes the Australian product, we'll hear thoughts from form analysts, punters, trainers & jockeys as they'll share their heart of how their mounts were "TEARING UP SECTIONALS" and "WE HAVE GOALS OF HEADING TO THE MCUP"

Radio gives our sport TIME which TV can't.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Weasel said:

Well, Mediaworks recently announced they've picked up cricket commentary from next summer. Twould make sense to add domestic horse racing

Racing on a private station would be ok as long as you dont get overkill,programmes like going through a whole card and trying to pick winners is too much overkill to listeners,those types of situations are best left to a racing only setup,maybe there is room for a Coppins type programme on Sunday morning with some talkback,since trackside went silent apart from here there is bugger all discusion on racing affairs.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, mikeynz said:

Racing on a private station would be ok as long as you dont get overkill,programmes like going through a whole card and trying to pick winners is too much overkill to listeners,those types of situations are best left to a racing only setup,maybe there is room for a Coppins type programme on Sunday morning with some talkback,since trackside went silent apart from here there is bugger all discusion on racing affairs.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:07 AM, Weasel said:

Well, Mediaworks recently announced they've picked 

On 9/1/2020 at 7:07 AM, Weasel said:

Well, Mediaworks recently announced they've picked up cricket commentary from next summer. Twould make sense to add domestic horse racing

I actually believe that if you had only local races it would stimulate some interest by being easily accessed,as for a Coppins type talkback there are lots of issues that at present will show the interest that's still around as there a lot of emotive issues.