Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton All Weather Track - Q & A Forum 16 September 2020 - PLEASE READ.

55 minutes ago, curious said:

If the AWT surfaces are as good and safe as they are cracked up to be why would you have higher injury/fatality rates on them for jumps races?

One would expect the speed they are going over jumps would have an impact. A part of jumping imo is the surface and stamina qualities that requires, spectacle it creates , both a bit negated on AWT I'd have thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

If the AWT surfaces are as good and safe as they are cracked up to be why would you have higher injury/fatality rates on them for jumps races?

Can only speculate, but in the case of falls, apparently the landing isn't as forgiving as on a wet turf track...for horse or rider.

Also ( quoting my English lad )  the take off is much more risky as there is less grip/traction than on grass.

Schooling is done still, at a steadier pace of course.

5 hours ago, Freda said:

Yes, I read about AWT jumps racing in France somewhere, but can't find any reference to it at all at the moment.

The fatalities [ 13 ] and other injuries incurred in the first seven weeks of starting jump racing on AWT's in the UK caused the cancellation of the concept, and although it could be argued that technology and therefore the surfaces have improved since, there is no desire to revisit that.

It's a good watch, France, jumping on the AWT......they jump a couple on their way to the start, they don't even do even time during the running, measure their jumps, all stand off, no sight boards, and only get serious the last half mile, a bit like 3 day eventing, and very few of them fall, bugger all, the French jocks 'bounce' when they hit the deck, must be all that cheese and garlic.!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Huey said:

Looks like  NZ racing is set for boom times indeed! 

One thing I don't get, wouldn't a horse feeling good be more likely to pull? This AWT must be magic!

https://loveracing.nz/News/31567/CambridgePolytrackopenforbusiness.aspx

No. I agree with Mark Fraser-Campin on that. They will be more relaxed and settled if they are more comfortable as a rule.

• Like 1

• Chief Stipe unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
On 3/09/2020 at 11:15 AM, Chief Stipe said:

tell you what I'll put up a subscription to BOAY, a free BOAY private communication platform for two of your syndicates, free online advertising for any new syndicates and an integrated website for Pitman Racing Stables.  That's a total value of over $5,000.  That there won't be any races on an AWT before 1 August 2021.

How is our bet looking Chief?

Edited by Pitman

9 hours ago, Pitman said:

How is our bet looking Chief?

Shame you never accepted my offer.

However what has become clearly evident is you are either motivated entirely by self-interest or have no idea of what benefits the industry as a whole.

I realise you don't give a damn and probably view the AWT as your private training track but how is the recruitment of 6 more trainers with 50 or more horses going?  Wasn't that YOUR estimate of what will be required to enable the AWT to pay its way?  Even closing down all those tracks you mentioned isn't going to see 250 horses shift to Riccarton is it?

• Like 1