Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton All Weather Track - Q & A Forum 16 September 2020 - PLEASE READ.

On 29/07/2020 at 1:39 PM, Chief Stipe said:

I wouldn't worry too much Freda.  Even if Labour gets in with the help of the Greens the shit will hit the fan either later this year or early next.

In that regard that is going to be an issue for whoever is in power.

I wouldn't count on your AWT being built anytime soon.  Unless the CJC does the right thing and relocates.

OK chief, you put up and so will i

what odds will you give me on the AWT being built at Riccarton within 18 months and how much you are prepared to take?

13 hours ago, Pitman said:

OK chief, you put up and so will i

what odds will you give me on the AWT being built at Riccarton within 18 months and how much you are prepared to take?

First question Pitty - where is the "extra $6 million" coming from?  We all know that the $10m from the PGF isn't enough.  So who is funding the rest?

I am pleased to advise there has been much progress in regards the design and associated matters in respect of the proposed Synthetic Track at Riccarton Park.

A working group involving a cross section of stakeholders has been involved to date and it is now timely to have a more open forum involving a wider range of interested parties.  You are invited to attend this.

The presentation will be hosted by the engineers Cogswell Survey who are also involved with the Cambridge and Awapuni projects and there will be representatives from NZTR.

DATE:    Wednesday 16 September 2020.

TIME:    1pm.

VENUE: The Show Gate, Riccarton Park.

A complicating factor will be if Christchurch is still in COVID-19 Alert Level2 which would necessitate the presentation being limited to 100 people.  Hopefully this is not the case but to be prepared and plan for that case please respond to register that you wish to attend.

PLEASE RSVP by return email by noon on Friday 11 September.

Kind regards

0?ui=2&ik=e542f1e3c3&attid=0.1&permmsgid

13 hours ago, Pitman said:

I don't know it makes no diff it will be built, you mouthed off put up

"It makes no difference where the money comes from" - quote Michael Pitman.

Well I think the rest of the South Island is wondering as are many elsewhere in the country.  As for putting my money where my mouth is Pitty - is the Canterbury Jockey Club putting up any of the extra $6m?

Will you be willing to "put your money where your mouth is" in terms of increased track charges?

Those are just two of the important questions that need to be asked.

Another one for you Pitty - what will be the effect on South Island racing?  

• Like 1

I’ll clarify just for you

It makes no difference to it getting built or not
In regards to our ‘wager’ where the money comes from is irrelevant

Are you prepared to back up your statement I am so what odds how much can you take Don’t back out now 
Ring the CJC and ask them about the $6m or put it to the open forum they are having re their input
I expect a rise in track fees due to the superb training facilities we will have
I am sure some clubs will lose race days that’s a given.

Thirty five race days at Riccarton no travel bring it on!!

So you state the odds-I’ll beat them No smoke screen questions

7 minutes ago, Pitman said:

They are not "Smoke Screen" questions Pitty.  They are important questions that need to be answered.  Transparency is needed.

So I gather you either don't know where the extra $6m is coming from or you won't tell us?

So Pitty your support is all about self-interest - stuff the rest of the South Island!  "I won't have to travel again".....

The numbers don't add up Pitty.

So ring the CJC and ask them don’t hide on a keyboard ASK THEM

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE MONEY IS COMING FROM, DO I NEED TO?

What’s the odds

How much?

Simple mathematics are you up for it or just talking shyte

DON’T make things up to suit yourself I never said “I won’t have to travel again“

35 days at Riccarton means our horses will have the opportunity to race on 35 days at our base without traveling outside Christchurch

This does not mean we will never travel. All clubs in the South Island have our support except INVERCARGILL and Greymouth Oh and the gutless Hokitika outfit also

We also look forward to the Wellington Cup carnival every year, especially the Telegraph

20 minutes ago, Pitman said:

DON’T make things up to suit yourself I never said “I won’t have to travel again“

45 minutes ago, Pitman said:

I take it Pitty you will be having no holiday?  35 race days at Riccarton (I've heard 40) - if it's the latter then that leaves 12 weeks (12 racedays)  for the rest of South Island.  As you said "no travel bring it on!"

23 minutes ago, Pitman said:

Oh and the gutless Hokitika outfit also

What options did the Westland Racing Club have?  NO dates so no races.  They decided to hand their assets back to the community which built them in the first place!  Rather than them being taken over to help fund the AWT folly at Riccarton!

Don't tell  me you don't know the answers to my questions or have you and Tim fallen out?

I honestly don’t know and have not asked about the top up money to build the AWT
l didn’t know Tim and I were “in“

BACK TO OUR WAGER WHICH YOU SEEM TO BE AVOIDING

What odds how much can you handle Simple question answer it  
According to you the AWT won’t happen 

By the way 40 race days does not span 40 weeks they have 3 days in a week during N Z Cup week comprende!

Edited by Pitman

32 minutes ago, Pitman said:

BACK TO OUR WAGER WHICH YOU SEEM TO BE AVOIDING

Well I'm not being badgered/bullied into betting on a project timeline when there are serious questions to be answered.  Have you been getting lessons from shortstuff?

Why is it so hard for you to answer the questions?  You are a businessman - how is this new AWT sustainable unless the diminishing pool of owners pitch up more money to cover track fees?  The revenue from racing unless you centralise the whole of South Island racing to Riccarton WON'T cover costs!

Some perfectly good and profitable race clubs are going to be forced to close to support something that has a very flawed business case in my opinion.

Come on Tim Mills and Bernard Saundry - post the business case here now!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pitman said:

Ducking for cover

Well 18 months isn't "anytime soon" is it?  1 February 2022 to be exact.  Hardly putting your nuts on the line.

Winnie will be gone before then.  There'll be a change in Government in 6 weeks time either a redder one or blue.  Neither of those party's support AWT's.  Hell the public doesn't support $12m going to a Crystal growing Green School!

I tell you what I'll put up a subscription to BOAY, a free BOAY private communication platform for two of your syndicates, free online advertising for any new syndicates and an integrated website for Pitman Racing Stables.  That's a total value of over $5,000.  That there won't be any races on an AWT before 1 August 2021.

What are you putting up?

3 hours ago, Pitman said:

and the gutless Hokitika outfit also

I think you are being a bit tough on Hoki there Michael

(1) they did NOT accumulate that money through racing activities - it came from the sale of land up the hill behind the racecourse.  Land that would have originally been brought with NO help or support from NZTR, the NZ Racing Authority or any other racing hierachy organisation(unlike Riccarton, Greymouth, Wingatui, Invercargill, Trentham, Awapuni, Hawkes Bay, Ellerslie, Te Rapa et al getting massive stands and facilities built and tracks renovated then not looking after them) the Westland Racing Club could NOT get its snout into the Amenities fund trough due to the old District Committee structure of racing.

(2) my understanding is that the Westland District Council refused to accept the property unless the Club gave them a substantial chunk of cash as well so their hands were tied - basically give the citizens of their District(who built them up after all is said and done) the vast majority of their assets or give it to the NZ Racing Industry who had just proceeded to drive the boot fair into their(the WRC) guts by removing their right to race on their course.

It might not have been you personally who took that right to race away Michael but NZTR did it on your behalf(I know it wasn't your idea or that you were in favour so I am not saying that).  How much wiser would it have been to take the stance that their time was extremely limited due to the state of their facility then after their inevitable demise the industry would have got the lot.

Saundry and Co are responsible for the loss of that money to the industry  NOT the Westland Racing Club Committee.  And I told him so too.  

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pitman said:

So ring the CJC and ask them don’t hide on a keyboard ASK THEM

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE MONEY IS COMING FROM, DO I NEED TO?

What’s the odds

How much?

Simple mathematics are you up for it or just talking shyte

35 days at Riccarton means our horses will have the opportunity to race on 35 days at our base without traveling outside Christchurch

This does not mean we will never travel. All clubs in the South Island have our support except INVERCARGILL and Greymouth Oh and the gutless Hokitika outfit also

We also look forward to the Wellington Cup carnival every year, especially the Telegraph

35 days of racing???

Take away the main dates, nobody turns up? I support an all weather track, but it is hardly the silver lining. 
Pitty, i agree it might suit your stable more than others, as you seem to race them more often, but I am sure, many horses will hate it, just like they do overseas. 

As soon as tossers put owners before punters, that is when the house of cards started to tumble. 

• Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Pitman said:

I’ll clarify just for you

It makes no difference to it getting built or not
In regards to our ‘wager’ where the money comes from is irrelevant

Are you prepared to back up your statement I am so what odds how much can you take Don’t back out now 
Ring the CJC and ask them about the $6m or put it to the open forum they are having re their input
I expect a rise in track fees due to the superb training facilities we will have
I am sure some clubs will lose race days that’s a given.

Where have I heard all this bluster before and more than a few times?? 

The novelty factor will wear out within 2 years, the genuis running nz racing think it will save the sport, lawn bowls will be more interesting to watch than synthetic racing. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2,500 races 2018-19.  The AWT'S are forecast to have 1,000 of those going forward assuming no growth (which is a fair assumption).  That's 40% of NZ's races on sand tracks that punters hate punting on!

Just for a moment - imagine if the $16m (probably more than that) was assigned to building a Strathayr track at Riccarton?  

There's just no fucking vision.  There's enough land at Riccarton to turn it into a great training centre with an all weather TURF track.

As well you could sell up and relocate.  Build a Pakenham type complex.

Yeah na.  We are going to import sand from OZ and spend $10m of tax payers money (plus another $6m from who knows where) on an AWT that punter's dont want to bet on.

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Punters HATE sand tracks.  We are going to end up with 3 of them with over a hundred race meetings a year!  Thats about 1000 races!

Not true, i know a few punters that love betting on aussie tracks, they usually handle it or not, so can run to form. One mate loves it, because of the draining nature, you do not have the firm to heavy extremes. 
I will go initially, but once novelty wears off, it will be the same