Bit Of A Yarn

HRNZ CEO

Mikie

I'm right so far. CEO's job advertised now

Will be filled before Christmas

Current CEO will stay on over holiday period to bed in new appointee, then he will quietly slip away but be paid out until 31 March 2021

I can pick now who will get the job but won't name them openly as that would hinder their chances

Happy to have a wager on who is appointed, I'll put their name in a sealed envelope and let Chief Stipe hold it

Chief Executive

• Industry Leadership Role, Christchurch H/O
  • Growth, Support, Regulation
  • Dynamic and Challenging Position

Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) is the governing and administrative body for 40 harness racing Clubs nationwide and oversees 257 race meetings across 25 venues each year for stakes in excess of $33M. The Chief Executive interacts directly with all industry stakeholders, including: Harness Racing Clubs and Kindred Bodies, Breeders, Owners, Trainers, Drivers, Racing NZ, TAB NZ, Racing Integrity Board, NZ Thoroughbred Racing, Greyhound Racing NZ, sector groups, Harness Racing Australia, International harness racing bodies, and the media.

This is a challenging and exciting time to take the HRNZ reins as the racing industry responds to the changes resulting from the Racing Industry Act 2020 coming into effect, the establishment of TAB NZ, and the formation of Racing NZ which is the new body representing the interests of the three racing codes.

Reporting to the Board, the Chief Executive is responsible for leading the smooth running and development of HRNZ’s services, administration, and operational functions, including Finance, Information Technology, Handicapping, Registrations, Racing and Communications, Education, Marketing, Health and Safety, and Animal Welfare. The position requires strong strategic capability and superb people leadership skills to realise HRNZ’s vision.

The appointee needs to have previous experience in successfully leading an organisation through a period of change, be able to deal with the complexity and politics in relation to multiple stakeholder views and expectations, and to grow HRNZ’s already strong service culture. The appointee will have a track record of leading high performing teams, be an excellent communicator both written and verbal, and confident in building positive media relationships. An interest and understanding of the harness racing and/or equine industries is preferred but is not essential. A competitive remuneration package will be offered that acknowledges the strategic leadership and commercial qualities the appointee will bring to HRNZ.

Application process:
To apply in confidence please contact Hamish Ott, Recruitment Consultant; email hamish@gothamuniversal.co.nz or initial confidential enquiries by telephone 0274321172

For more information visit https://www.hrnz.co.nz

The final close off date for applications is 12 October 2020.

Mikie, so Nick Ydgren or whatever the spelling is, has experience in leading an organisation thru a period of change?

Is he an excellent communicator?

Has he a track record of leading high performing teams??

Has he got strategic leadership and commercial qualities???

Wouldnt think he has any of the requirements unless you know differently??

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Mikie, so Nick Ydgren or whatever the spelling is, has experience in leading an organisation thru a period of change?

Is he an excellent communicator?

Has he a track record of leading high performing teams??

Has he got strategic leadership and commercial qualities???

Wouldnt think he has any of the requirements unless you know differently??

You’re just digging a hole for yourself Brodie and 95% of posters are having a laugh at your ignorance

Mikie

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Not sure how a couple of people think that a Peter Ydgren is a shoe in to get the CEO job for HRNZ?

Can someone please enlighten us all on how Mr Ydgren has got the necessary requirements as detailed in The job vacancy ad?

I never said he was a chance, let alone a “shoe in”

I merely pointed out that you weren’t on the money, and had no idea who Trotsfan was talking about

I have never met PYdgren but I do know his qualifications stack up against the job description

Mikie

25 minutes ago, Mikie said:

I never said he was a chance, let alone a “shoe in”

I merely pointed out that you weren’t on the money, and had no idea who Trotsfan was talking about

I have never met PYdgren but I do know his qualifications stack up against the job description

Mikie

Mikie, so is your person that you think has all these qualities requited for the CEO of Hrnz, Mr Peter Ydgren?

If so, why do you think he is so qualified, when I doubt many would have even heard of him?
What is his claim to fame that gives you confidence?

Clearly he is some relation To Nick Ydgren!

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mikie, so is your person that you think has all these qualities requited for the CEO of Hrnz, Mr Peter Ydgren?

If so, why do you think he is so qualified, when I doubt many would have even heard of him?

I already made it quite clear that I was not going to name who I thought would get the position, as to do so would jeopardise their chances given the vitriol about me emanating from HRNZ Board (who apparently weren't keen on the CEO engaging with me about their Funding Policy)

You are also putting words in my mouth as I never stated that who I thought would get the job was 'qualified', I merely stated that I thought that I could guess who would get the job

There is a Club Secretary who is well qualified in relation to the Job description but I doubt he will apply. My reading is that he is too good a bloke to put up with the current Board performance

Mikie

Edited by Mikie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

I already made it quite clear that I was not going to name who I thought would get the position, as to do so would jeopardise their chances given the vitriol about me emanating from HRNZ Board (who apparently weren't keen on the CEO engaging with me about their Funding Policy)

You are also putting words in my mouth as I never stated that who I thought would get the job was 'qualified', I merely stated that I thought that I could guess who would get the job

There is a Club Secretary who is well qualified in relation to the Job description but I doubt he will apply. My reading is that he is too good a bloke to put up with the current Board performance

Mikie

Fair enough Mikie.

I just hope for harness racing sake  that whoever applies is up to the tasks ahead, as we are well and truly over people who are not in it for right reasons!!!
HRNz would be far better off headhunting the right person and pay accordingly rather than have these lightweights on big money!

The current Person is a lightweight it seems and seems to have been put in the position with out  any leadership success, unless someone can advise us otherwise?

Harness racing is at a crossroads at the moment and if they appoint someone who has not got the fire in the belly and can not negotiate then we can see the harness racing industry fall away even more!

Edited by Brodie

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mr Peter Ydgren is Nicks brother, he used to work at HRNZ. Commercial development manager was his official role but he was really just there being groomed to take over from Edward Rennell but he got sick of waiting and left. 

He would be perfect for the role but I’m told he’s apprehensive about returning.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Invasion of Privacy said:

Mr Peter Ydgren is Nicks brother, he used to work at HRNZ. Commercial development manager was his official role but he was really just there being groomed to take over from Edward Rennell but he got sick of waiting and left. 

He would be perfect for the role but I’m told he’s apprehensive about returning.

Wouldn't anyone be apprehensive about working for a dysfunctional Board?

Even my guess for the job now says he's not sure about applying

Mikie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Invasion of Privacy said:

I assume you’re talking about JB?

I can tell you now, I have been talking to JB, and Justin Bieber is not at all interested in applying!!

Joe Biden is far too old and senile and he is probably a bit busy to apply as well

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Invasion of Privacy said:

I know Peter and has skills but like all who have enjoyed working at HRNZ a 7 hour day is a very long day.

My view we need a well qualified person with broad experience  who doesn’t mind upsetting those already there and if need be a big sweep and new broom .

My wish would be someone who is not a NZ racing or industry person but a strong administrator from Aussie .

The job needs focused KPI ‘s and no excuses if not meant - one chance to do the job or gone .

Therefore,  we need a strong board - not a woke half baked outfit .