Bit Of A Yarn

HRNZ CEO

Mikie

14 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

I know Peter and has skills but like all who have enjoyed working at HRNZ a 7 hour day is a very long day.

My view we need a well qualified person with broad experience  who doesn’t mind upsetting those already there and if need be a big sweep and new broom .

My wish would be someone who is not a NZ racing or industry person but a strong administrator from Aussie .

The job needs focused KPI ‘s and no excuses if not meant - one chance to do the job or gone .

Therefore,  we need a strong board - not a woke half baked outfit .

You are joking?

An Aussie?

After all the Aussies we have had at Thoroughbred Racing?

Give me strength

Mikie

15 minutes ago, Mikie said:

You are joking?

An Aussie?

After all the Aussies we have had at Thoroughbred Racing?

Give me strength

Mikie

Nope - I think NSW Harness is going pretty good.

It requires a wide skill set - maybe bring back Edward it would not be silly. He knows more than anyone else.

1 hour ago, LongOwner said:

Nope - I think NSW Harness is going pretty good.

It requires a wide skill set - maybe bring back Edward it would not be silly. He knows more than anyone else.

That would be going backwards i wouldve thought?

Rennell made decisions that were not very well thought out!!

If they are paying what They were paying, then there would be several people around that would have to be interested!

We need someone with business sense and proven success, and they dont even need to have harness industry experience!

The way things are with racing in NZ due to the many very poor decisions by previous suits, has put harness into a dire situation and lightweight executives once again, is just not going to cut the mustard!!

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

That would be going backwards i wouldve thought?

Rennell made decisions that were not very well thought out!!

If they are paying what They were paying, then there would be several people around that would have to be interested!

We need someone with business sense and proven success, and they dont even need to have harness industry experience!

The way things are with racing in NZ due to the many very poor decisions by previous suits, has put harness into a dire situation and lightweight executives once again, is just not going to cut the mustard!!

OK Brodie

Itemise the decisions that Mr Rennell made that you refer to

Not Board decisions, Mr Rennell's decisions

You made the post, now front up with an itemised list

Thanks

Mikie

16 minutes ago, Mikie said:

OK Brodie

Itemise the decisions that Mr Rennell made that you refer to

Not Board decisions, Mr Rennell's decisions

You made the post, now front up with an itemised list

Thanks

Mikie

The ridiculous whip rule was a rule that Mr Rennell made off his own back, without consensus!

It was his view and that is what he ran with!!!!
The rule has finally been changed after showing what an ill thought out rule it was!

Were the rulesin regards to enquiries brought out during Mr Rennells tenure?

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

The ridiculous whip rule was a rule that Mr Rennell made off his own back, without consensus!

It was his view and that is what he ran with!!!!
The rule has finally been changed after showing what an ill thought out rule it was!

Were the rulesin regards to enquiries brought out during Mr Rennells tenure?

Brodie

I asked you for a list of decisions that Mr Rennell made

You have replied with “the whip rule” which was not a decision that Mr Rennell made. That decision was made by the Board of HRNZ

You have queried whether the “enquiry rule” was made during Mr Rennell’s tenure. The query is irrelevant as, once again, this was a decision made by the Board and not Mr Rennell 

I doubt you can come up with anything Brodie which confirms that either you don’t comprehend which decisions are made by CEO and which are made by the Board, or you were merely posturing

Let’s go with posturing

Mikie

Edited by Mikie
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Therefore,  we need a strong board - not a woke half baked outfit .

Thats not going to happen any time soon  with current structure. Even allowing for 2 new independents its just an old boys club of Amateurs.

As for your latter idea about ER he would never want to go back after the way some on the board treated him previously.

Greg

2 hours ago, Mikie said:

Brodie

You have replied with “the whip rule” which was not a decision that Mr Rennell made. That decision was made by the Board of HRNZ

You have queried whether the “enquiry rule” was made during Mr Rennell’s tenure. The query is irrelevant as, once again, this was a decision made by the Board and not Mr Rennell 

I doubt you can come up with anything Brodie which confirms that either you don’t comprehend which decisions are made by CEO and which are made by the Board, or you were merely posturing

Let’s go with posturing

Mikie

why don't you put your hat in the ring???

12 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

why don't you put your hat in the ring???

I don’t have the qualifications that the Job Description states and the Board wouldn’t want me, plus I couldn’t work under that Board 

Thank you for your support though

Mikie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

Brodie

Let’s go with posturing

Mikie

Posturing, that is a new one on me!

Edward Rennell was in charge of HRNZ was he not and so his opinion carried most weight, I wouldve thought?

It is well known what Mr Rennells’s opinion was on use of the whip in harness racing, as he expressed it on TV more than once!

The whip rule was brought in without sufficient thought and approval from the people that it was affecting!!!!

The fact is Mikie, that the rule was brought in, also the ridiculous enquirie rules under Mr Rennells watch!

The fact that the whip rule has been amended now clearly shows that it was ill thought out!!

Mikie, you clearly know Mr Rennell personally, and I am sure he is a nice bloke, but can Harness Racing really be continued to be run by people who have not had success in business?

Edited by Brodie

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Posturing, that is a new one on me!

Edward Rennell was in charge of HRNZ was he not and so his opinion carried most weight, I wouldve thought?

It is well known what Mr Rennells’s opinion was on use of the whip in harness racing, as he expressed it on TV more than once!

The whip rule was brought in without sufficient thought and approval from the people that it was affecting!!!!

The fact is Mikie, that the rule was brought in, also the ridiculous enquirie rules under Mr Rennells watch!

The fact that the whip rule has been amended now clearly shows that it was ill thought out!!

Mikie, you clearly know Mr Rennell personally, and I am sure he is a nice bloke, but can Harness Racing really be continued to be run by people who have not had success in business?

Posturing is an apt and accurate description Brodie. I think it could be taken to mean you posted something that sounded great in your own mind but it wasn't something that was factual

You made a statement, I asked you to back it up and you can't. You are squirming

You have now tried to rephrase your post by now stating that Mr Rennell's opinion was that he was for the new whip rule. That may be correct, but if he was against the changed Rule there is such a thing as collective responsibility and he would not have been able to say that he was against it in any event.

However I digress. You are now trying to say that decisions were made on Mr Rennell's watch. That is completely different to your initial post where you stated that he made a decision "off his own bat"

You have now dug yourself in even deeper by posting that Mr Rennell has not had success in business. Tell me, what did Mr Rennell do before he was CEO of HRNZ? Do you even know? If not, it's just more posturing on your part

Don't come back and ask me what he did, don't come back and ask me his business record prior to becoming CEO. You made the post, you infer that you know. So share Brodie

Why don't you just post that you accept that you are wrong, that you cannot come up with a single decision that was made by Mr Rennell as opposed to the Board, that you didn't think before you posted, that you aren't on the money, and that you now feel really, really stupid

That way other posters will accept your apology and realise that you are truly remorseful and we can move on

Well, I will, I'm not sure about Ranga

I know you personally too Brodie and I think that you are a nice bloke, but now I'm thinking that you are a nice bloke who runs off on the keyboard without thought

Mikie

Edited by Mikie

Brodie's Quote:

Incorrect

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Thats not going to happen any time soon  with current structure. Even allowing for 2 new independents its just an old boys club of Amateurs.

As for your latter idea about ER he would never want to go back after the way some on the board treated him previously.

Greg

Correct

Edited by Mikie

20 minutes ago, Trotsfan said:

Mikie was hrnz better when ER started or finished ?

It's been so long that I cannot remember who was CEO before him Trotsfan, and I've been scratching my head, so I really can't offer an opinion

Mr Rennell had the benefit of far better Boards (previously the Executive) during most of his tenure as well

It was certainly better when he was there as compared to now

Mikie

4 hours ago, Mikie said:

Posturing is an apt and accurate description Brodie. I think it could be taken to mean you posted something that sounded great in your own mind but it wasn't something that was factual

You made a statement, I asked you to back it up and you can't. You are squirming

You have now tried to rephrase your post by now stating that Mr Rennell's opinion was that he was for the new whip rule. That may be correct, but if he was against the changed Rule there is such a thing as collective responsibility and he would not have been able to say that he was against it in any event.

However I digress. You are now trying to say that decisions were made on Mr Rennell's watch. That is completely different to your initial post where you stated that he made a decision "off his own bat"

You have now dug yourself in even deeper by posting that Mr Rennell has not had success in business. Tell me, what did Mr Rennell do before he was CEO of HRNZ? Do you even know? If not, it's just more posturing on your part

Don't come back and ask me what he did, don't come back and ask me his business record prior to becoming CEO. You made the post, you infer that you know. So share Brodie

Why don't you just post that you accept that you are wrong, that you cannot come up with a single decision that was made by Mr Rennell as opposed to the Board, that you didn't think before you posted, that you aren't on the money, and that you now feel really, really stupid

That way other posters will accept your apology and realise that you are truly remorseful and we can move on

Well, I will, I'm not sure about Ranga

I know you personally too Brodie and I think that you are a nice bloke, but now I'm thinking that you are a nice bloke who runs off on the keyboard without thought

Mikie

Mikie, firstly and foremost, I want harness racing to be great again!

It can only be great again if right decisions are made and mostly they come from the top!

Dont personally know Edward Rennell and I am sure he had good meaning when the ill thought out decisions were made!

It appears that Mr Rennell was in charge at HRNZ for approx. 21 years which is a very long time for any executive in this day and age,

Did he do a great job, I wont comment too much on that however what I do know is that unfortunately harness racing has gone backwards significantly in that time without doubt!

You can say that there is a Board that makes the decisions, however the CEO does have a major influence on all decisions and ultimately takes responsibility for what is decided!

What I also know is that Mr Rennell was responsible for rushing thru the whip rule that has now been amended, clearly showing that the rule was ill thought out and plainly stupid.

The current rule in  regards to enquiries Is mostly very flawed as well and needs amendment but probably wont be, as it involves work rather than common sense.

This was also brought in during Mr Rennells tenure as CEO!

As for business success of Mr Rennell prior to HRNZ, it does not appear that impressive by being an auditor for a number of years and working for a local authority before that!!

Nothing personal at all Mikie, and we all probably have differing opinions as to business success, but sure as we need to get rid of Ardern, we need a successful businessman at the helm of HRNZ going forward!!!

As for posturing, if that is what I am doing then I am unaware of it!

What I am doing though is expressing an opinion and whatever happens going forward is up to the powers that be!

May the best candidate for the position be appointed, and not just because they are mates with someone in a suit!!,

Edited by Brodie

16 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Mikie, firstly and foremost, I want harness racing to be great again!

It can only be great again if right decisions are made and mostly they come from the top!

Dont personally know Edward Rennell and I am sure he had good meaning when the ill thought out decisions were made!

It appears that Mr Rennell was in charge at HRNZ for approx. 21 years which is a very long time for any executive in this day and age,

Did he do a great job, I wont comment too much on that however what I do know is that unfortunately harness racing has gone backwards significantly in that time without doubt!

You can say that there is a Board that makes the decisions, however the CEO does have a major influence on all decisions and ultimately takes responsibility for what is decided!

What I also know is that Mr Rennell was responsible for rushing thru the whip rule that has now been amended, clearly showing that the rule was ill thought out and plainly stupid.

The current rule in  regards to enquiries Is mostly very flawed as well and needs amendment but probably wont be, as it involves work rather than common sense.

This was also brought in during Mr Rennells tenure as CEO!

As for business success of Mr Rennell prior to HRNZ, it does not appear that impressive by being an auditor for a number of years and working for a local authority before that!!

Nothing personal at all Mikie, and we all probably have differing opinions as to business success, but sure as we need to get rid of Ardern, we need a successful businessman at the helm of HRNZ going forward!!!

As for posturing, if that is what I am doing then I am unaware of it!

What I am doing though is expressing an opinion and whatever happens going forward is up to the powers that be!

May the best candidate for the position be appointed, and not just because they are mates with someone in a suit!!,

Geez Brodie young fella this is just about a speech like that Aussie fella Alan Jones would give. I think you have been watching too much Sky Channel 85 !!! Good night.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JAKH said:

Geez Brodie young fella this is just about a speech like that Aussie fella Alan Jones would give. I think you have been watching too much Sky Channel 85 !!! Good night.

Lol, firstly well past your bedtime and I have heard you need beauty sleep, or you can not function the next day?

Of course I watch Sky channel 85, and everyone should and they will learn not to be controlled like they have been for the last 6 months!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

While a CEO may be asked his opinion  its the board who issues policy and thereafter it is up to the CEO to carry out such policy. One job is governance the other is operational matters . You seem to struggle with that concept Brodie but rest assured you are not alone.

Greg

23 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

While a CEO may be asked his opinion  its the board who issues policy and thereafter it is up to the CEO to carry out such policy. One job is governance the other is operational matters . You seem to struggle with that concept Brodie but rest assured you are not alone.

Greg

Greg, Mr Rennell expressed his view openly about his view on the harness whip on The Box Seat!!!

His opinion was that he preferred that there wasnt one!

The decision to bring in the ludicrous 10 taps with the whip inside the last 400m was rushed thru in response to Ozzies banning of the whip, which never happened!

It was a very disappointing response and totally unecessary, and it is these knee jerk and ill thought out decisions that are causing harness racing to decline in popularity!

We need clear leadership and well thought out decisions from the CEO, just like in any business!

Anyone can be called a CEO and collect a big salary however it is what you  do in the position that counts!!

These poor decisions in racing is not just limited to harness racing however as we all know.