Bit Of A Yarn

Mot Turnover Today?

Newmarket

Well, 

I am sitting in the car, dodging the wind with 3 races to go. 
I assume many didnt turn up because of the wind, which is a shame, as for the first 5 races there was little, and it had just died down. 
The crowd is the worst I have seen, in fact I have never seen more than one person at a TAB window, 

Which is my main point, now that we finally have phone coverage at the Mot, are most people, including me, just betting on devices? 
I expect the cubs oncourse turnovers to be slashed from previous meetings. 

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Well, 

I assume many didnt turn up because of the wind, which is a shame, as for the first 5 races there was little, and it had just died down. 
The crowd is the worst I have seen, in fact I have never seen more than one person at a TAB window, 

Which is my main point, now that we finally have phone coverage at the Mot, are most people, including me, just betting on devices? 

I personally recon if the TABare looking at reducing cost maybe the time has come for no on course betting as such,depending on how many turn up,I would say many and probably soon most will bet on their smartphone and that's ok as long as the club dont miss out.we are on changing times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Well, 

Not sure what capacity the NZ TAB app or website has but here the NSW TAB App has venue mode which you turn on in a pub/club/tab/racecourse and the money invested on your bets gets allocated to the venues's turnover... but more importantly you get free bonus bets and multiplier % top ups and various other incentives. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Not sure what capacity the NZ TAB app or website has but here the NSW TAB App has venue mode which you turn on in a pub/club/tab/racecourse and the money invested on your bets gets allocated to the venues's turnover... but more importantly you get free bonus bets and multiplier % top ups and various other incentives. 

That sounds like good ideas

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

I actually noted on tv on thursday it looked like a out 12 cars parked on the grass in front of stand at Winton,be fair to say there would have been less at Ascot Park next day,but its costing someone to provide a service.

Someone posted betting figures a year or two ago from some meetings,it was on course and off course figures individually,Ascot Park ran a meeting on a wed or thursday in November I think it was and the total on course betting was 18000 and that's let's not beat around the Bush,fuck all,however like probably a lot of meetings a lot of punting is done on phone so figures are recorded as off course,I dont know what a clubs take is as in regard to on and off course turnover so maybe a bet placed on course or off is just treated as the same,as I said before maybe the times come that on course betting on non event meetings is all done by devices saving the tab money,just pure economics.

While we slag off the TAB decision makers a lot of the time for some of the decisions they make,maybe some are hard to accept because we resist change.

I spose it's a bit like the council's putting on a bus service around town and then carrying 4 people,simple fact is do they keep running something at a loss or ditch it,there are ways and means around every situation.

While i don't go to the races often,i never bet on my phone and never will. Would not bother going to races at all if they had no on course betting.

Besides,If your saying there is no need  for on course betting outlets then your expecting all the casual racegoers who turn up at meetings like motukarara to have tab accounts. Until you can tell me the tab has statistics that say they do,i will continue to believe  that taking away on course betting would be a dumb move.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, the galah said:

While i don't go to the races often,i never bet on my phone and never will. Would not bother going to races at all if they had no on course betting.

Besides,If your saying there is no need  for on course betting outlets then your expecting all the casual racegoers who turn up at meetings like motukarara to have tab accounts. Until you can tell me the tab has statistics that say they do,i will continue to believe  that taking away on course betting would be a dumb move.

when my bestie is oncourse he much prefers the anonymity of the on course tote

Talking about the wind, spent 3 hours on the river this morning, chasing the elusive whitebait, bitter wind off the snowy hills, couldn't feel my hands, colder than a frog's tit, I swear spring weather is much more cold than winter itself, glad my small scale lambing was over a month ago.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, Newmarket said:

Well, 

How many tote windows do they have,would it be in everyones wisdom just to have one,just like betting at the pub,most bet on smartphone but there would always be some who wont,so everyones provided for.

20 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

How many tote windows do they have,would it be in everyones wisdom just to have one,just like betting at the pub,most bet on smartphone but there would always be some who wont,so everyones provided for.

Don't we want to capture new customers?  Doesn't the removal of oncourse betting facilities negate this?

Surely Christmas meetings and iconic racedays (Cup week) will have oncourse facilities?  Imagine trying to organise a "fun" betting syndicate amongst your fellow party goers without them.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1