Bit Of A Yarn

Weigh In returns Monday at : Emily Bosson and Michael Guerin

Noodlum

I find Emily Bosson particularly grating doing the Trackside Studio presentation on Saturday's.  To the point where I turn the sound off when watching Trackside until a immediately before a race starts.  I listen to Sky Sports Radio from Australia in between finding the buildups to the OZZIE races fantastic.  Emily just seems to have an irritating voice and a formulaic repetitive style.  No doubt influenced by the training of a recently retired presenter!

As for Michael Guerin - I find his style irritating as well.  His knowledge is great but his smarmy way of speaking turns me off.

Seems to me that the Aussie TV presenters seem to have a radio style where they describe things better whereas we seem to be focussed on an old style TV presenter where the focus is on looking and sounding good rather than delivering the information we want to see.

I'm not sure I'll be tuning in on Monday 8pm to Weigh In!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Weigh%20In%20panel.jpgWeigh In will return to television screens on Monday night. Photo: Supplied

Weigh In returns

NZ Racing Desk
16 October 2020

New Zealand’s only television show dedicated to news and reviews of the thoroughbred industry returns on Monday.

Weigh In will screen live at 8pm on Monday nights after a new 30-programme series was commissioned by some of the biggest names in New Zealand racing.

TAB NZ no longer makes racing magazine shows as their mandate has changed to primarily driving turnover to maximise profits to return to the industry. 

But the thoroughbred racing industry will now have weekly review shows through the support of those involved in the industry, a family of sponsors put together through the work of David Ellis.

Weigh In will be hosted by Emily Bosson along with regular panellist Michael Guerin but will also see the return to NZ television screens of respected presenter Luke Radich as well as expert panellists and guests.

The show will not only review the week’s best races in New Zealand and Australia but discuss industry news and feature regular segments on developments inside the industry, personality profiles, including club news, major race days and the sales and breeding industries.

Weigh In will also showcase the New Zealand thoroughbred racing industry to Australian viewers through Sky Racing and numerous overseas and domestic platforms.

Weigh In has moved from its previous Sunday morning slot to 8pm every Monday night and the first show of the new season will analyse the Gr.1 Livamol Classic (2040m), Great Northern Day at Ellerslie, A$15 million The Everest (1200m) and the Gr.1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) as well as a detailed look at Breeze Ups day for the upcoming Ready To Run sales at Karaka.

15 minutes ago, Noodlum said:
Weigh%20In%20panel.jpgWeigh In will return to television screens on Monday night. Photo: Supplied

Weigh In returns

NZ Racing Desk
16 October 2020

New Zealand’s only television show dedicated to news and reviews of the thoroughbred industry returns on Monday.

Weigh In will screen live at 8pm on Monday nights after a new 30-programme series was commissioned by some of the biggest names in New Zealand racing.

TAB NZ no longer makes racing magazine shows as their mandate has changed to primarily driving turnover to maximise profits to return to the industry. 

But the thoroughbred racing industry will now have weekly review shows through the support of those involved in the industry, a family of sponsors put together through the work of David Ellis.

Weigh In will be hosted by Emily Bosson along with regular panellist Michael Guerin but will also see the return to NZ television screens of respected presenter Luke Radich as well as expert panellists and guests.

The show will not only review the week’s best races in New Zealand and Australia but discuss industry news and feature regular segments on developments inside the industry, personality profiles, including club news, major race days and the sales and breeding industries.

Weigh In will also showcase the New Zealand thoroughbred racing industry to Australian viewers through Sky Racing and numerous overseas and domestic platforms.

Weigh In has moved from its previous Sunday morning slot to 8pm every Monday night and the first show of the new season will analyse the Gr.1 Livamol Classic (2040m), Great Northern Day at Ellerslie, A$15 million The Everest (1200m) and the Gr.1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) as well as a detailed look at Breeze Ups day for the upcoming Ready To Run sales at Karaka.

Wonder when radio will return,cant listen to that Devlin halfwit no more,so at present its silence.

On 17/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, Noodlum said:

I find Emily Bosson particularly grating doing the Trackside Studio presentation on Saturday's.  To the point where I turn the sound off when watching Trackside until a immediately before a race starts.  I listen to Sky Sports Radio from Australia in between finding the buildups to the OZZIE races fantastic.  Emily just seems to have an irritating voice and a formulaic repetitive style.  No doubt influenced by the training of a recently retired presenter!

As for Michael Guerin - I find his style irritating as well.  His knowledge is great but his smarmy way of speaking turns me off.

Seems to me that the Aussie TV presenters seem to have a radio style where they describe things better whereas we seem to be focussed on an old style TV presenter where the focus is on looking and sounding good rather than delivering the information we want to see.

I'm not sure I'll be tuning in on Monday 8pm to Weigh In!

Pun intended , its a lightweight show at any rate.

Simply no reason to tune in. my prediction for tomorrow show = MB + TA love fest on tomorrow, with a dash of the chosen one, some misdirected outrage at the GN golf incident , a whole lot of review (which has already been done and better) on the Aus product to top it off, why would you bother?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Agree with all of the above. NZ racing has lost its soul. None of the presenters appeal, and show has zero chance. Get On is the yardstick for me. Once the decision was made to drop Weigh In and it disappeared from the television screens it lost its last chance. Digging it up now will not work, and only the diehards will be the audience.

When racing is at a cross roads and needs significant change they just keep doing the same old thing . Covid closure was the opportunity for racing to change the way we done things when we started up and got going again , but no , just reverted to doing the same things that weren't working before , on and off the track . That is a clear indication that the present leadership has no vision , or plan for the future . 

The downward spiral will continue until racing undertakes a major overhaul , when ? , if ? , not holding my breath .

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

When racing is at a cross roads and needs significant change they just keep doing the same old thing . Covid closure was the opportunity for racing to change the way we done things when we started up and got going again , but no , just reverted to doing the same things that weren't working before , on and off the track . That is a clear indication that the present leadership has no vision , or plan for the future . 

The downward spiral will continue until racing undertakes a major overhaul , when ? , if ? , not holding my breath .

It desperately needs new leadership and some innovative thinking, it won't happen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Huey said:

Pun intended , its a lightweight show at any rate.

Simply no reason to tune in. my prediction for tomorrow show = MB + TA love fest on tomorrow, with a dash of the chosen one, some misdirected outrage at the GN golf incident , a whole lot of review (which has already been done and better) on the Aus product to top it off, why would you bother?

I bet you the Hastings weight debacle won't get the bollocking that it deserves.  What's the bet we see a video of a horse galloping on the brand new AWT at Cambridge?

• Like 2

Will we see some investigative like journalism into why Melody Belle isn't still racing in OZ?  It was clear reading between the lines that Jamie Richards was happy for her to stay - "she wasn't racing all that bad but the owners decided to bring her back."   Followed by Fortuna Galvin saying we brought her back so her band of owners could watch her race. How many were at Hastings I wonder?  There'll be no punch to the programme.  Nothing to get a reaction and encourage people to watch.

Just a pseudo advertising and marketing programme with sugary "oh what a great weekend of racing it was here in NZ."  To be honest I found the racing in NZ an irritating distraction from the impressive programme of racing from Caulfield and Randwick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nomates said:

All you need do is have a gander at the resumes, cv's call them what you will of the decision makers Nomates, it makes for wondrous reading, you really can't blame them, those glorious salaries and the sycophantal behaviour is synonymous with racing, how long before Adern gets the tap on the shoulder? ''these clowns have their hands out for another 50mil PM''.......Paddy Power are pounding on the door and the poor of South AKL are complaining terribly.......we must be seen to be doing the right thing PM.......etc etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Will we see some investigative like journalism into why Melody Belle isn't still racing in OZ?  It was clear reading between the lines that Jamie Richards was happy for her to stay - "she wasn't racing all that bad but the owners decided to bring her back."   Followed by Fortuna Galvin saying we brought her back so her band of owners could watch her race. How many were at Hastings I wonder?  There'll be no punch to the programme.  Nothing to get a reaction and encourage people to watch.

Just a pseudo advertising and marketing programme with sugary "oh what a great weekend of racing it was here in NZ."  To be honest I found the racing in NZ an irritating distraction from the impressive programme of racing from Caulfield and Randwick.

We will probably get a slowmo of KFE going off in the stands at HB as well.

14 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

'these clowns have their hands out for another 50mil PM''.......

This could become an bi annual byline , but it won't wash , Peters held a gun to their heads for the last pay out . Won't happen again .

Racing needs to find that much every 2 years to be in the position it wants to be , even then that is only a beginning .

• Like 1

There has been a bit of discussion on this forum about TAB NZ betting restrictions.  Wouldn't that be a punchy segment to the show to have a restricted punter and a rep from the TAB why it happens.  I wasn't meaning Guerin either as the restricted punter but perhaps he should declare if he is or isn't restricted?

20 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

All you need do is have a gander at the resumes, cv's call them what you will of the decision makers Nomates, it makes for wondrous reading, you really can't blame them, those glorious salaries and the sycophantal behaviour is synonymous with racing

You can blame them , they are not stupid , they know there needs to be change , they just lack the heart and the will . Behaviour and attitude is a choice . Till that changes nothing will .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

This could become an bi annual byline , but it won't wash , Peters held a gun to their heads for the last pay out . Won't happen again .

Racing needs to find that much every 2 years to be in the position it wants to be , even then that is only a beginning .

According to the DIA and Treasury analysis when they handed out the last $35m+ (not including the AWT PGF money) earlier this year it was clear that it only got the creditors off the TAB's back so they could keep trading.  JJ Flash would have you believe otherwise but it was also apparent that that would need to be topped up during the year.  It was actually stated in the analysis by Treasury which was given to the Minister.  

The only thing that would have turned that around was substantial cost cutting and a phenomenal increase in revenue.  The former was late and probably not enough and the latter no matter how they spin hasn't happened.  

That's the problem when you have someone on a benefit for a long time it becomes endemic and passed on from generation to generation. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

To be honest I found the racing in NZ an irritating distraction from the impressive programme of racing from Caulfield and Randwick.

That's a bit tough mate , it's not fair to say that the racing from Ellerslie and HB was poor , both meetings not what they used to be but that's NZ racing as a whole now . I to was hanging out for the Aus meetings to kick in as well but the NZ racing was fine .

11 minutes ago, nomates said:

That's a bit tough mate , it's not fair to say that the racing from Ellerslie and HB was poor , both meetings not what they used to be but that's NZ racing as a whole now . I to was hanging out for the Aus meetings to kick in as well but the NZ racing was fine .

I found the presentation of NZ races a bit lame.  I'm over Tony Lee's descriptions when the horses are in the parade ring - cliche after cliche after cliche!

Also the irritation bit was the comments from Emily Bosson in the studio leading up to and after a race were all unnecessary.  Which was amplified when commenting after a Australian race.  Oh the winner of that race is by our own Waikato Stud stallion blah blah or that horse has NZ ownership and raced in NZ before....blah blah....  Do you actually need someone in the Studio?

Aren't all the OZ commentators oncourse?

What we have now is the pseudo studio set up at Te Rapa and the chosen few get to nip in there to be the anchor.  Work less than 8 hours and hand over to someone who is as green as.  

As I say I turn the volume off NZ Trackside until race starts and listen to the Sky Radio commentators for the lead ups to the OZ races.

Yes the racing at Ellerslie and Hastings was as good as it gets in NZ but can we change the presentation formula?  Is it any wonder that our best and brightest in the commentator jobs are now overseas.

• Like 2

I definitely agree around the presentation side of things , lots of room for improvement , on and off course . Re T Lee , i think Tony's happy to do whatever they want as long as he can commentate races , won't tip horses , doesn't see it as his job , so gives impressions of horses condition , that's needed also but his job is to commentate , let him do that . Trackside appears to need people who are prepared to take on a number of jobs . Jack of all trades , master of none comes to mind .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

I definitely agree around the presentation side of things , lots of room for improvement , on and off course . Re T Lee , i think Tony's happy to do whatever they want as long as he can commentate races , won't tip horses , doesn't see it as his job , so gives impressions of horses condition , that's needed also but his job is to commentate , let him do that . Trackside appears to need people who are prepared to take on a number of jobs . Jack of all trades , master of none comes to mind .

Yep and thats true & from his pov no one can argue that he isn't a knowledgeable guy , who is fairly well respected among the industry. I also find his commentating and commentary quite well balanced compared to others.