Bit Of A Yarn

Age restriction on racecourse entry - Riccarton!

Chief Stipe

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

Hope it farkn pisses down from a great height on their Cup day. What miserable bastards, more or less saying no kids. 

What is the club's reasoning behind this? Are they trying to protect the 15 year old boys from the near naked painted ladies? Or is it to protect the painted ladies from the 15 year old boys?

Do they even still have the painted ladies?? (Asking for a friend)

"Go and find the smallest child on this course because that will be the only person who lives long enough to see something like this again."

"Wait... What?

Oh really?

Eighteen??

Are you sure?

Oh ok, hey, no, don't worry about finding that wee kid." 

And this is just another example of the difference between racing in Australia and New Zealand.

Aussie just do it better.

The administrators just "get it". 

With a attitude like that Rusty, why are you even following the industry? NZ Cup week at Riccarton is one of the highlights of the racing calendar. 

18 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Who said kids cant go to cup day, they still can, they just get a different wrist band......so what’s the problem??

The Canterbury Jockey Club have said it.  Refer the first post in this topic.  The only children that can attend are those whose parents own a horse racing on the day or staff of Trainers.  They have to pre-register to obtain the wrist band's you refer to.

If I wanted to do as my dad did and take my child to the races I can't.  Personally those days that he did - we used to go to the Trotting Cup as well - have and will remain as lasting memories.  To be honest it is probably one of the few reasons I have left that keeps me passionate about the SPORT.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tesio said:

With a attitude like that Rusty, why are you even following the industry? NZ Cup week at Riccarton is one of the highlights of the racing calendar. 

Because in my opinion, under 18's should be included, and allowed to attend the day. Just like Cox Plate day, just like Melbourne Cup day, and just like the family day at Flemington.

At the very least, the club could have a small "family-friendly" zone. 

With the club's attutude (to completely exclude under 18's), why are they even in the industry, is the question you should be asking. 

In their eyes, racing is not a family event, sport, hobby to participate in. 

Addington club officials are doing a marvellous job in trying to attract family members of all ages to their Show day races. It is a credit to them. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Who said kids cant go to cup day, they still can, they just get a different wrist band......so what’s the problem??

100% incorrect. 

It is a R18 event. 

I just phoned the club and they said no kids oncourse, unless they are related to owners, trainers etc. 

50 minutes ago, Rusty said:

100% incorrect. 

It is a R18 event. 

I just phoned the club and they said no kids oncourse, unless they are related to owners, trainers etc. 

To be fair to the club, they did say to me it was a direction from the Police, for the "event" (Cup day), to be R18. If that is true, if that is true, that it was a Police direction, maybe I have been too harsh on the club. If so, I apologize.

Interestingly enough, Cup day at Addington permits under 18's to attend, provided that they are accompanied by an adult. The CJC official told me this morning to get a babysitter and not to bring kids oncourse for their cup day. 

Anyway we all know which Cup day is the messiest, not to mention the best. Always has been and always will be the best; Addington. When locals talk about "the cup", they're not talking about an event in Riccarton that's R18. They are talking about the second Tuesday in November at Addington. 

I'll just leave that there (in the Gallops section of all places). 

Enjoy Cup week everyone. Unless you are under 18, then just enjoy the trots and the real Cup day in Christchurch (which is already sold out due to its popularity). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rusty said:

To be fair to the club, they did say to me it was a direction from the Police, for the "event" (Cup day), to be R18. If that is true, if that is true, that it was a Police direction, maybe I have been too harsh on the club. If so, I apologize.

Interestingly enough, Cup day at Addington permits under 18's to attend, provided that they are accompanied by an adult. The CJC official told me this morning to get a babysitter and not to bring kids oncourse for their cup day. 

Anyway we all know which Cup day is the messiest, not to mention the best. Always has been and always will be the best; Addington. When locals talk about "the cup", they're not talking about an event in Riccarton that's R18. They are talking about the second Tuesday in November at Addington. 

Enjoy Cup week everyone. Unless you are under 18, then just enjoy the trots and the real Cup day in Christchurch (which is already sold out due to its popularity). 

If the under 18s don't bet on course then they may bet at home and never come back lol

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Then why the inconsistency between Riccarton and Addington?

This is another case of where "host responsibility" is all out of kilter.  If the "trained" bar staff were on the job then no under 18's would be sold booze on course.  Doesn't stop them from getting it.

No disrespect to the Police but if everyone everywhere all the time behaved then they wouldn't have a job would they?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:11 AM, Rusty said:

If its a Police direction then the club are partaking in something that is causing that direction to be taken, i.e. Booze up after booze up after booze up, so therein lies the problem. The club is more focused on the party than the racing , the basic problem with racing in NZ in general. In my experience most of the big clubs provide an less than average experience on race day for anyone who isn't there to get off their trolley.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huey said:

If its a Police direction then the club are partaking in something that is causing that direction to be taken, i.e. Booze up after booze up after booze up, so therein lies the problem. The club is more focused on the party than the racing , the basic problem with racing in NZ in general. In my experience most of the big clubs provide an less than average experience on race day for anyone who isn't there to get off their trolley.

Then why no similar direction from Police for Addington?

I find it a bit of a stretch to think that Riccarton is treated differently...?

37 minutes ago, Freda said:

No idea, has there been behavioural issues at Riccarton in the past the Police are focussed on?

On 7/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Freda said:

I have it on good authority that the CJC have not been treated differently to Addington, in terms of restricting the age of patrons to an event. 

It is indeed the club's decision to make it a R18 event. 

The Christchurch District Licensing committee includes reps from the Council (liquor licensing), the medical officer of health, the District Health Board, and the NZ Police. 

In a nutshell, a few years back the club was very close to losing their onsite license. This was because the 2015 cup day was very, very messy.

Some quarters have stated that they were not fully capable of controlling their patrons on their cup day. 

Prior to the 2016 event, the club proposed some changes to the Christchurch District Licensing Committe. This included restricting under 18's to the event, unless minors were within corporate/members areas, with a parent or caregiver at all times. 

The agencies agreed to the club's proposal. 

So for the CJC to blame the Police for the R18 event, is not fair. 

Liquor inspectors will again be oncourse this Saturday, likewise at Addington on Tuesday. Their purpose is to record and monitor the ongoings and report back their findings. It is their findings that potentially can cause issues with their liquor license down the track. 

Like I said, the CJC was a bee's dick away from losing their liquor licence a few years back. So they are now kicking the ball into touch and playing it as safe as they possibly can, by restricting under 18's to their cup day.

It is not a police directive. However probably one that they welcome. 

In defence of the CJC I think the Police and Licensing Authority approach is all wrong but symptomatic of the nanny state central bureaucrats know best.  Whatever happened to individual responsibility?

Why does "Host Responsibility" have to extend past the point of sale?  That is if the person selling the alcohol deems that the customer is not intoxicated and is of an eligible age to purchase alcohol isn't that where their responsibility stops?  

Now a days it seems to go way beyond the point of sale to the point that if anything damaging happens between the point of sale and the customer getting home the host is deemed somehow responsible.  That's an absolute nonsense.  I've never understood why with a drink driving fail that the Police insist on knowing where the person had been drinking and if they find out it is a black mark against that establishment.  

What's more who determined that under 18's were or are the problem?  Why isn't the rule applied to every race day?  To apply R18 to one day seems to signal that this day is party day and potentially a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rusty said:

I have it on good authority that the CJC have not been treated differently to Addington, in terms of restricting the age of patrons to an event. 

It is indeed the club's decision to make it a R18 event. 

The Christchurch District Licensing committee includes reps from the Council (liquor licensing), the medical officer of health, the District Health Board, and the NZ Police. 

In a nutshell, a few years back the club was very close to losing their onsite license. This was because the 2015 cup day was very, very messy.

Some quarters have stated that they were not fully capable of controlling their patrons on their cup day. 

Prior to the 2016 event, the club proposed some changes to the Christchurch District Licensing Committe. This included restricting under 18's to the event, unless minors were within corporate/members areas, with a parent or caregiver at all times. 

The agencies agreed to the club's proposal. 

So for the CJC to blame the Police for the R18 event, is not fair. 

Liquor inspectors will again be oncourse this Saturday, likewise at Addington on Tuesday. Their purpose is to record and monitor the ongoings and report back their findings. It is their findings that potentially can cause issues with their liquor license down the track. 

Like I said, the CJC was a bee's dick away from losing their liquor licence a few years back. So they are now kicking the ball into touch and playing it as safe as they possibly can, by restricting under 18's to their cup day.

It is not a police directive. However probably one that they welcome. 

I'm not much of a drinker, but aren't boozers more likely to drink more and misbehave at an event termed R18?

11 minutes ago, nomates said:

Wouldn't this be much better for NZ racing if we were talking about this being an excessive gambling issue . I would be interested to know how much these party goers spend on gambling as opposed to drinking . Do clubs even care .

No most clubs don't care , because they are subsidised by the booze/party both from a financial and performance perspective - that in itself is a problem.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, nomates said:

Wouldn't this be much better for NZ racing if we were talking about this being an excessive gambling issue . I would be interested to know how much these party goers spend on gambling as opposed to drinking . Do clubs even care .

Be fair to assume many ain't even giving a shit about racing,make a nuisance on cup day,never seen again until next cup day

• Like 2