Bit Of A Yarn

Age restriction on racecourse entry - Riccarton!

Chief Stipe

Is this actually legal?

R18 POLICY (NZ CUP DAY ONLY):  Please note that an R18 policy applies on NZ Cup Day.  This includes Trainers staff.  An exception applies to Owners who may wish to bring their children to the races and Trainers who have people aged less than 18 working for them on the day.  It is necessary to pre-register the fact that you will have minors with you on NZ Cup Day.  The necessary wristband, which MUST be worn on the day, can then be provided.  Details required are name/age/gender/guardian or Trainer/guardian cell phone/member (or car park reference if applicable).

15 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If that restriction had been in place when I was younger I would have missed seeing some really good horses!

Royal Cadenza
Heidseick
Fury's Order
Watallan
Princess Mellay

Also some good horses in supporting races like the mighty Show Gate and Grey Way!

Yeah...but I don't think Cup Day was party central in those times,  or at least, not as now.

28 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yeah...but I don't think Cup Day was party central in those times,  or at least, not as now.

Yes but the assumption is that putting an age restriction on makes it easier to police the consumption of alcohol.  But there is no BYO!  I daresay the number of drinks one can purchase is limited as well.

If I'm a responsible parent and want to take my child to the event just like my father did I can't.  I'm not sure it promotes the sport to a younger generation!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Whatever happened to designated family areas , these kids are the next generation . We have already lost a generation through neglect , let's not compound it for the sake of the quick buck .

They do have designated areas,at home😆

In some ways this highlights where main racedays are going,just a pissup for most who dont care about racing but probably forcing a lot of older folk to not turn up

I would find being in a crowd with a bunch of party goers very off putting.

• Like 1

Hope it farkn pisses down from a great height on their Cup day. What miserable bastards, more or less saying no kids. 

What is the club's reasoning behind this? Are they trying to protect the 15 year old boys from the near naked painted ladies? Or is it to protect the painted ladies from the 15 year old boys?

Do they even still have the painted ladies?? (Asking for a friend)

"Go and find the smallest child on this course because that will be the only person who lives long enough to see something like this again."

"Wait... What?

Oh really?

Eighteen??

Are you sure?

Oh ok, hey, no, don't worry about finding that wee kid." 

And this is just another example of the difference between racing in Australia and New Zealand.

Aussie just do it better.

The administrators just "get it". 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mikeynz said:

They do have designated areas,at home😆

In some ways this highlights where main racedays are going,just a pissup for most who dont care about racing but probably forcing a lot of older folk to not turn up

I would find being in a crowd with a bunch of party goers very off putting.

That's exactly what it is, the clubs and governing body have no idea how to present the product as being the main reason to go to the races and thus have to make it a booze fest. It's not a good look and its not good for the future of racing in this country, but it is the easy way out for the aforementioned. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

That's exactly what it is, the clubs and governing body have no idea how to present the product as being the main reason to go to the races and thus have to make it a booze fest. It's not a good look and its not good for the future of racing in this country, but it is the easy way out for the aforementioned. 

Yes I think that is the biggest difference between OZ and NZ.  OZ promote the sport we promote the party.  The latter you can have anywhere.

• Like 1

It's sad but true, that the club's (public) facilities and opinions have not moved on from 60 years ago. 

My grandad had a handy enough horse racing on a big race day back then. Club would put on some food and drinks for the owners, but would not allow access to the function room if the owners had pesky kids with them. Upon being told he couldn't enter the function room with his primary school aged child, my grandad left a bit disappointed and went to go and see his horse, have a chat to the trainer pre-race etc. Trainer (leading the premiership at the time) asked him, why aren't you in there getting a feed? When grandad told him, no kids were allowed, the trainer marched in to the admin office and said you let him and his daughter in there, or I'll scratch all my runners today. 

5 minutes later grandad and his daughter got the nod to enter the room, and 10 minutes later the horse wins. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

I don't go to the races anymore because it is plain fecking boring , the product is poor most of the time . Everytime the races are on at Otaki or Palmy i think i might go but by the the day before and i have had a look at the fields i just think nah , i'll be bored shitless , have to kill 30 mins between races , hardly anybody there and all the faces i used to catch up with don't bother anymore either , which was the best bit , having a catch up and having a natter .

Saying that i am seriously thinking of dropping in at the Levin meeting at the end of the month . Still 3 weeks to go tho , long time for me to change my mind .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nomates said:

I don't go to the races anymore because it is plain fecking boring , the product is poor most of the time . Everytime the races are on at Otaki or Palmy i think i might go but by the the day before and i have had a look at the fields i just think nah , i'll be bored shitless , have to kill 30 mins between races , hardly anybody there and all the faces i used to catch up with don't bother anymore either , which was the best bit , having a catch up and having a natter .

Saying that i am seriously thinking of dropping in at the Levin meeting at the end of the month . Still 3 weeks to go tho , long time for me to change my mind .

Just imagine all the money they could have spent on the Awapuni track instead of the empty huge grandstand and hospitality areas?  Cart before the horse stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Just imagine all the money they could have spent on the Awapuni track instead of the empty huge grandstand and hospitality areas?  Cart before the horse stuff.

Hey , those grandstands are full twice a years with pissed students , well worth the money . They have fundamentally given up on the product or the state of the track , it's make hay while the sun shine mentality , and that hay is alcohol . They are just compounding the issue around a lack of punters , the circle just keeps decreasing .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

Hey , those grandstands are full twice a years with pissed students , well worth the money . They have fundamentally given up on the product or the state of the track , it's make hay while the sun shine mentality , and that hay is alcohol . They are just compounding the issue around a lack of punters , the circle just keeps decreasing .

seemed Wingatui crowd was lots of students,probably didnt even bet,just drink piss,think they had a band in tent as well.

11 hours ago, Rusty said:

Hope it farkn pisses down from a great height on their Cup day. What miserable bastards, more or less saying no kids. 

What is the club's reasoning behind this? Are they trying to protect the 15 year old boys from the near naked painted ladies? Or is it to protect the painted ladies from the 15 year old boys?

Do they even still have the painted ladies?? (Asking for a friend)

"Go and find the smallest child on this course because that will be the only person who lives long enough to see something like this again."

"Wait... What?

Oh really?

Eighteen??

Are you sure?

Oh ok, hey, no, don't worry about finding that wee kid." 

And this is just another example of the difference between racing in Australia and New Zealand.

Aussie just do it better.

The administrators just "get it". 

what a dick wishing bad luck on clubs . every club in NZ is struggling especially after Covid  I think its been R18 for 3-4 years now and suddenly you want to bag them 

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 2

7 minutes ago, Running Man said:

what a dick wishing bad luck on clubs . every club in NZ is struggling especially after Covid  I think its been R18 for 3-4 years now and suddenly you want to bag them 

Incorrect. 

I've bagged that club for many years. Not a sudden occurence. 

• Like 1

Trainer Lee Freedman busted out the quote about finding the smallest kid on course after the great mare's third Melbourne Cup victory. 

Unfortunately the same could never be said post race for the NZ Cup at Riccarton. 

Instead, one is more likely to hear:

"Go find the most p!$sed up, drunken d!ckhe@d on course, then clean up their spew, wipe clean their suede shoes, and tell them they have missed seeing a dead set champion."

21 minutes ago, Running Man said:

You think?  As for struggling after Covid - they were struggling BEFORE Covid.  Except with Covid came big handouts both to NZRB and individual clubs.  CJC had their handout big time getting nearly $500k plus $16m for a new track plus favouritism in terms of racing and stakes plus maintenance funding and so on and so on.  Why weep tears for the privileged big clubs?

This discussion is on the banning of children from Cup Day - doesn't matter when it started.  But compare it to the Crusaders - they actually encourage you to take your children to the big games - "Take a Kid to the Footy", "Kids take your Grandad to the Footy".....

CJC-Covid-Subsidy-04112020.png

Edited by Noodlum
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2