Bit Of A Yarn

Sound effort from southern stables

13 hours ago, Freda said:

What a day for the locals....four each from Pitty and Terri Rae - could have been five if Marine had had better luck - as well as one from Sophie Hargreaves and Naomi Murfitt. 

Only the Baker/Forsman machine stemmed the tide.

Well done to all.

Top effort for the locals! Marine was very unlucky i thought, when are the stewards going to get tough on dangerous riding, oppie should have been suspended for dropping anchor like that mid race.

20 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Top effort for the locals! Marine was very unlucky i thought, when are the stewards going to get tough on dangerous riding, oppie should have been suspended for dropping anchor like that mid race.

I think they did look at it.  But Oppie slowing up wasn't what caused the issues behind him.  They nailed Jonathan Parkes for that and if you look at the replay you can see why.  The race didn't have an obvious pace maker other than Need I Say More who they had doubts over running out the 1600m.  So Oppie slowed them up but I don't think excessively.  

In my open the first two horses look special - Aegon looks and races so much like his sire Sacred Falls.  Sacred Falls was one of my favourites and given his breeding I thought he would make a great sire.  His death was a big loss to the industry.

Bourbanaire is a great looking animal too.

Marine a top effort after clipping heels.

In my opinion none of them are Derby types.  So will all three have a break now and follow the normal pattern - Guineas races in NZ early in the new year and then off to OZ?

Interesting to hear the interview after madam du soir won the last race, that she had been with Danny Crozier for the past month or so, just wondered what the rules were on horse movements or caretaker roles, as I still thought she was still trained in the deep south, should we as punters be notified of this, or maybe I have missed a notification some where, I am talking through my pocket as I have backed her many a time, being by raise the flag, as I have one of that breed, had I've have known a change of trainer or caretaker, i would have taken her, sounds like her ashburton win was under new caretaker to, thoughts anyone.

Agree with your thoughts, southerners done very well, and good on them, as for the madam case, I really do think some notification for punters should have posted, as one who followes horses that have a change of scenery, I know the harness game has a few horse movements notified. 

Like invercargill, our recently retired horse, won a 2100m race down, sitting 3 wide the trip, there a couple of years back, one of 7 wins and 25 placings, even took us to the New Zealand cup one year, and went a respectable race, these days battling away with a raise the flag 6yr old who has had many issues along the way, we live in hope of just getting him to the races, nothing a given in this game.We are all living the dream,  in Christchurch today, was planning a day at the races, but alas sold out, I guess 40$ more to spent at tab. 

7 hours ago, mikeynz said:

John Phillips has 2nominated for Ascot Park next week so he is still around anyway they have only 7 races for Wednesday but surely they can run xtra races,limits of only 12 of the sprint races,that's seems a bit small field size wise.

Looks like they are just at noms stage, so maybe they will split a couple when the fields come out?

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Like invercargill, our recently retired horse, won a 2100m race down, sitting 3 wide the trip, there a couple of years back, one of 7 wins and 25 placings, even took us to the New Zealand cup one year, and went a respectable race, these days battling away with a raise the flag 6yr old who has had many issues along the way, we live in hope of just getting him to the races, nothing a given in this game.We are all living the dream,  in Christchurch today, was planning a day at the races, but alas sold out, I guess 40$ more to spent at tab. 

Cheaper refreshments too!

Enthusiasts such as yourself are keeping us all going, and are, I fear, likely to be adversely impacted by the 'new' face of the industry.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

6 hours ago, Freda said:

Cheaper refreshments too!

Enthusiasts such as yourself are keeping us all going, and are, I fear, likely to be adversely impacted by the 'new' face of the industry.

I'd venture to say destroyed by the new face of the industry. I can see the sport becoming totally irrelevant under its new look, despite what a lot of people say. The new look eliminates the loyalty imho

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Huey said:

I'd venture to say destroyed by the new face of the industry. I can see the sport becoming totally irrelevant under its new look, despite what a lot of people say. The new look eliminates the loyalty imho

A lot that go for the pissup probably dont bet anyway.they ain't a permanent fix for the industry.

• Like 1