Bit Of A Yarn

All Stars off on a Sabbatical

Rangatira

6 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

New Zealand’s most successful ever racing stable of Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen to be disbanded next month. They are leaving training ranks for sabbatical and All Stars Racing, the biggest name in harness, will cease to exist from Dec 31 this 

Maybe they think they've done all they can do or some other reason we've have yet to learn about.

Hayden Cullen to lease the property ... really, that place would cost thousands per month to lease, must be in line for plenty of horses.

Mark might need the cash, will he turn up in Central over New Years with tent in hand and BBQ with the Williamson's and make some $$ as a freelance driver.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Horse racing: New Zealand's most successful stable All Stars Racing to be disbanded

4 minutes to read
Driver Mark Purdon and trainer Natalie Rasmussen after winning the NZ Trotting Cup. Photosport
Driver Mark Purdon and trainer Natalie Rasmussen after winning the NZ Trotting Cup. Photosport
NZ Herald
By: Michael Guerin

New Zealand's most successful ever horse racing stable is being disbanded in news that will stun the industry.

All Stars Racing, the all-conquering harness racing stable of champion trainers Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen, will cease training from December 31.

The pair remain together as a couple but has decided to take a year away from training horses and if and when they choose to return it will be on a much smaller scale than the huge operation they run at Rolleston on the outskirts of Christchurch.

Their state of the art property will remain open but be run by current stable foreman Hayden Cullen and his wife Amanda, with Purdon and Rasmussen happy to help out around the times of the major carnivals if needed.

But the days of the All Stars machine which has dominated harness racing on both sides of the Tasman and is clearly one of the best in the world, are over.

"It is time for a break," Purdon told the Herald.

"Between us Nat and I have been training or working with horses almost 70 years combined," says Purdon who is 56. Rasmussen is 43.

"We want to have a break, freshen up and take time to enjoy life next year.

"And during that break we will take time to consider what our future looks like."

Purdon says he will retain his race driving licence so he can still drive at major race meetings but Rasmussen is still considering whether she will.

"Hayden is a good young trainer and we have made a commitment to him that at least initially we will drive the horses at major carnivals if needed.

"We have told him we are happy to come help out leading in to these carnivals but the stables are going to be his with his wife Amanda's and the business will be theirs, definitely not ours.

"All Stars Racing will be closed down from December 31 and if we even come back to training full time I would say it would be a on a lot smaller scale.

"But that is something we will think about during our year off."

Purdon will take a team of elite horses to Australia for a small campaign in late summer to target major races there out of respect for their owners and the fact Cullen will be busy setting up his new business.

Purdon and Rasmussen dominated the New Zealand Cup carnival at Addington last week, winning the New Zealand Cup for the sixth time the last seven years as well as three other group one races.

Their domination is like nothing ever seen in New Zealand racing before with the stable having broken every record there is in the harness industry.

Purdon is bred to be a champion trainer, like his father Roy and brother Barry but since he went out on his own training in 1995 he has trained the winners of a staggering $58million in New Zealand alone while he has won most of Australia's richest races multiple times.

Rasmussen joined him as life and training partner in 2013 and the All Stars operation went up a level, with the Australian trainer having a relentless work ethic and organisational skills as well as being a wonderful big race driver.

Their army of superstar pacers is too long to list but is headlined by Lazarus and in the last 12 months they have trained the winner of the New Zealand and Auckland Cups as well as the Inter Dominion Pacing and Trotting Finals. Winning normal group ones like Oaks and Derby races are so common they barely register.

Purdon and Rasmussen told their staff of their decision to step away from the industry full time this morning and were pleased many of their owners not only support their move but say they will support Cullen in his new business from the All Stars property.

But the change to the landscape of New Zealand harness racing will be enormous.

The stable dominate betting markets and race days and well as the yearling sales. For many of their rivals their leaving will create opportunity and even renewed optimism about their chances to win at the highest level.

And new faces winning the biggest race won't do New Zealand harness racing any harm.

Will Purdon, and even Rasmussen, eventually return to fulltime training? Probably.

But will the juggernaut that is All Stars Racing ever re-start and conquer all in its path? Almost certainly not.

So today's news is not just the end of an era, but the end of one of the greatest chapters in New Zealand racing history.

All Stars’ training operation to end - today’s letter which shocked the harness industry

Barry Lichter

By Barry Lichter • 16 November 2020

The bombshell announcement that Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen are to shut up their successful All Stars’ training operation and take a break of at least 12 months hit today.

This is how they delivered the news to their owners this morning just days after training the trifecta in the New Zealand Trotting Cup, ending an eight season partnership that saw them win 889 races and $28.8 million in stakes in New Zealand.

Dear owner,

We are writing to inform you of our plans over the coming twelve months.

There is no doubt that as a training partnership we have been consistently very successful over a number of years and have been fortunate to have trained and driven many wonderful horses including a number of champions who have delivered outstanding achievements.

A significant contributor to our success has been the support and loyalty of our owners who have trusted us with their horses.

However, the success that we have enjoyed also has taken many years of hard work and constant dedication to the task at hand which you are no doubt aware is very much often without any significant holidays or breaks as we chase success for the horses, our owners and our All Stars team.

Between us we have amassed nearly 70 years working and training and driving in the industry without any breaks of any consequence.

Accordingly, we both have made the decision to take a career break whilst we take time to rest and rejuvenate and to consider what the next path our career in harness racing will take.

Our sabbatical will commence on 1st January 2021 and it is anticipated at this stage that we will take at least 12 months. This will mean that All Stars training operation will cease operating on that date.

We are pleased to advise that Hayden and Amanda Cullen will take over our stables at Rolleston and the employment of the majority of the All Stars committed team members.

They will have the full use of all the amenities and equipment including the treadmill and both resistance trainers, the three training tracks and all paddocks and the stable complex.

They will be training and racing horses under their own name, Cullen Racing Stables. Hayden who is widely known to our owners has been actively involved working in harness racing for 20 years.

He has previously been in a North Island based training partnership for 3 years prior to joining All Stars two and a half years ago. Cullen Racing Stables will continue the same high-quality training and care of your horses but will have a different daily training rate.

This will be advised to you shortly and Hayden will be contacting you individually over the next two weeks to answer any questions and seek your continued support to train your horses.

Both Hayden and Amanda will have our support with Mark in particular, being actively involved supporting Hayden in the programming, daily work lists etc. In addition, both Mark and Nat will be available to assist in the barn leading up to key race meetings and selected race days where required.

Mark will also be undertaking a mentoring role to Hayden. It is planned that Mark will continue to select and purchase horses for owners who will be placing those horses with Cullen Racing to train and campaign.

We would like to thank you for your support over the past many years and wish you every success going forward. We also hope that you will support Hayden and Amanda as they embark on their training career just the same as you have supported ourselves.

If you have any questions or need clarification on any point please do not hesitate to contact either of us or Hayden.

Kindest regards,

Mark and Natalie

Allstars Racing Stables Limited

All sounds reasonable to me.  Must be bloody hard work keeping up the standards they have set with a large team.

With all the BS going on in the industry in the last few years and no sign of any admin purges coming wouldn't be encouraging.

No doubt they are well off why not enjoy life a bit more.  Well earned.

• Like 7
  • Champ Post 3

22 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

All sounds reasonable to me.  Must be bloody hard work keeping up the standards they have set with a large team.

With all the BS going on in the industry in the last few years and no sign of any admin purges coming wouldn't be encouraging.

No doubt they are well off why not enjoy life a bit more.  Well earned.

You see Noodlum no conspiracy what's so ever.

Obviously communication is not that flash with the AllStars?

Fancy just sending out a letter first rather than talking to the owners, after all the money the owners have spent!

I think it is a great idea to lease the stables to Hayden Cullen, very positive for racing!

Will be interesting to see if the domination continues out of the stables, my thoughts are NO!

Great news for owners outside of the AllStars

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Obviously communication is not that flash with the AllStars?

Fancy just sending out a letter first rather than talking to the owners, after all the money the owners have spent!

I think it is a great idea to lease the stables to Hayden Cullen, very positive for racing!

Will be interesting to see if the domination continues out of the stables, my thoughts are NO!

Yes but does the standard of horses racing in the top races go down,they have set a very high benchmark.

12 minutes ago, Brodie said:

How do you know they haven't?  

13 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Are you suggesting Cullen hasn't learnt anything?  Also Mark is going to continue to buy for the owners and the stable.

My bet nothing changes except more time on there hands.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

How do you know they haven't?  

Are you suggesting Cullen hasn't learnt anything?  Also Mark is going to continue to buy for the owners and the stable.

My bet nothing changes except more time on there hands.

I heard from a couple of very good sources that when they hiked the training daily rate up dramatically, the owners also got a letter first!

So I would say that the letter came first once again, which wont go down too well with the loyal AllStar owners!!!!!

I am sure Cullen may have  learnt a few things Chief, but is he as clever as Purdon and Co?

We all know that there is more to winning just about every major race in NZ than having a good eye!

Time will tell wont it?

Good on them for taking time off and I am sure most owners and trainers will be thinking this as well!

• Like 1

Really good decision by them to get off the treadmill and go do something different as they certainly deserve it. The succession plan seems to have been thought through with their involvement in buying youngsters and helping out on big days. That will boost confidence amongst the owners as harness can't afford to lose the calibre (or should I say pockets) of those owners.

It would have been awhile coming and I think back to that lockdown interview by Mark and Natalie about the (lack of) leadership at HRNZ and the uncertainty about the stakes which makes it less attractive to slave your guts out. The Cup win was $150 000 less this year remember. I think they would have had a good look at what they were doing and been frustrated operating at such a high level when the industry itself was not. Natalie even thought racing was 'buggered' and had no hope for the future which I thought was telling.

They may say they are coming back to racing but it will depend on if they find the desire again and my bet is, if they do come back, it won't be in NZ, it will be a small satellite stable for Hayden Cullen's horses in Australia. They have been on the treadmill in NZ and won't want to get back on in its current state. Look at Dexter.

While some will rightly laud Mark and Natalie for what they have done and some will discuss the evening up of the game for other trainers with stakes being distributed elsewhere, I think it is a full frontal reminder to the industry to sort its shit out.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2