Bit Of A Yarn

All Stars off on a Sabbatical

Rangatira

Good on them for taking a break. I am sure they deserve it and need it.Overseeing a large operation like the All Stars stable would be a mammoth task. I don't know how many hours a day Mark Purdon worked but I bet it was well above the norm, Natalie too. The stable has been ultra successful and won most major races on both sides of the Tasman. I don't think the owners should be too unhappy after all most did well, winning races, trophies and prize money galore.

This is a great opportunity for another trainer to step up and dominates like the All Stars did? Who will it be?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Happy, I think it is a win  win situation,

Great that both of them are going to be taking it easier which is deserved!

They have achieved so much in racing that they do not have to prove anything 

Isnt their land probably going  to be split up at some stage for sections?

I would not be seeing this as detrimental to harness racing at all, quite the opposite really!

Many owners that were looking to not bother anymore may well start thinking there is hope of winning a group race!

Brodie, Just telling it the way it is!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Obviously communication is not that flash with the AllStars?

Fancy just sending out a letter first rather than talking to the owners, after all the money the owners have spent!

I think it is a great idea to lease the stables to Hayden Cullen, very positive for racing!

Will be interesting to see if the domination continues out of the stables, my thoughts are NO!

Great news for owners outside of the AllStars

You'll be able to start punting at Addington Premier Days again now mate with no All Stars to dominate the betting. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I would not be seeing this as detrimental to harness racing at all, quite the opposite really!

Many owners that were looking to not bother anymore may well start thinking there is hope of winning a group race!

I wonder who owners like the Whitecocks will get to train their horses now? They have bred many top horses and have good mares that were not over-raced. It will be interesting to see what happens now. It is a good opportunity for a young trainer to step up.

Who do you think will be the top trainer now mate? 

Edited by Davis
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why go past Cullen?

No reason but I think the owners will probably spread their horses around more. Some owners are already do this -- Trevor Casey, Butterworths, Kennards and Jean Feiss have horses trained by others.

I just think it is a good opportunity for a young trainer to market himself and get a few well-bred horses into his/her stable. The likes of Regan Todd, Kirsten Barclay, Alister Black, Mitchell Kerr or even one of the Purdon sons should try and attract these owners to their stables I believe.

Edited by Davis
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brodie said:

An opportunity for Dennis the menace to emerge from the pack,so look out all.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Davis said:

I wonder who owners like the Whitecocks will get to train their horses now? They have bred many top horses and have good mares that were not over-raced. It will be interesting to see what happens now. It is a good opportunity for a young trainer to step up.

Who do you think will be the top trainer now mate? 

Michael House lol

• Haha 1

Think Nat has hinted over the last couple of years that she was getting a bit tired of driving, so if your running out of puff while driving and winning in big races, sort of tells you she has had enough. 

Hayden Cullen, this is a surprise, will the big owners support him the same as purdon? I doubt it very much, think we will see less top horses in his stable, so could be a good thing shared around

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Think Nat has hinted over the last couple of years that she was getting a bit tired of driving, so if your running out of puff while driving and winning in big races, sort of tells you she has had enough. 

Hayden Cullen, this is a surprise, will the big owners support him the same as purdon? I doubt it very much, think we will see less top horses in his stable, so could be a good thing shared around

Yes we all know that The AllStars have been champions for a long time.

Yes it has been rumoured for a long time that it wont last forever.

Yes I am surprised that it has happened so soon but I can appreciate the long hours that the staff at AllStars put in!

What I do know is that although trainers wont be admitting it, they will mostly be very happy that Purdon and Rasmussen are going to take an extended break!

Good for harness racing in NZ, without doubt for several reasons!
Some may not agree but stake money will be shared around more in the big races and without AllStars horses dominating punting will be far more worthwhile!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes we all know that The AllStars have been champions for a long time.

Yes it has been rumoured for a long time that it wont last forever.

Yes I am surprised that it has happened so soon but I can appreciate the long hours that the staff at AllStars put in!

What I do know is that although trainers wont be admitting it, they will mostly be very happy that Purdon and Rasmussen are going to take an extended break!

Good for harness racing in NZ, without doubt for several reasons!
Some may not agree but stake money will be shared around more in the big races and without AllStars horses dominating punting will be far more worthwhile!

Alas, ALL the five points you have put here seem quite Correct Brodie.

Awful though , as when a Champion (S) is off the scene for whatever reason , the quality and Public Interest decreases. I cried for a week when Vinnie shot himself, and the Knight Stable domination ended here, after his amazing accomplishments. (Plus the fact he had young daughters, etc) And I was in an opposition stable lol. Don't think Australian Harness racing was ever the same after that really and bottomed out after that. It has never recovered and is still very low on the radar of the everyday SportsFan.

If the All Blacks took time off , rugby wouldn't quite be the same , even though they are so dominant in their field. everyone loves seeing a Champion go round (nearly everyone) Vinnie had distractors too , but then he didn't drive as well as Mark and Nat lol.

NZ harness racing won't get Champions like Allstars ever again. A sad day come the 31st December....... 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Alas, ALL the five points you have put here seem quite Correct Brodie.

Awful though , as when a Champion (S) is off the scene for whatever reason , the quality and Public Interest decreases. I cried for a week when Vinnie shot himself, and the Knight Stable domination ended here, after his amazing accomplishments. (Plus the fact he had young daughters, etc) And I was in an opposition stable lol. Don't think Australian Harness racing was ever the same after that really and bottomed out after that. It has never recovered and is still very low on the radar of the everyday SportsFan.

If the All Blacks took time off , rugby wouldn't quite be the same , even though they are so dominant in their field. everyone loves seeing a Champion go round (nearly everyone) Vinnie had distractors too , but then he didn't drive as well as Mark and Nat lol.

NZ harness racing won't get Champions like Allstars ever again. A sad day come the 31st December....... 

Gammalite, you are correct that it is impossible to see such a dominant stable in harness racing ever again!

If I wore a hat, I would take it off to them for what they personally achieved!

It is debateable whether they actually were good for racing per se, as from my perspective Harness racing deteriorated significantly in the period they were so dominant!

I would much prefer to punt and watch races that were not dominated by one stable that were most likely fill the placings!

The NZ TAB are probably going to be better off as well as there wont be as many punting on the shorties and having to pay out!

I am sure that many more trainers are going to have horses up running earlier now, knowing that they are not going to be racing against AllStars and barely getting any stake money!

More owners are going to be getting a share of the pie on the big race days which is also a huge benefit to the harness industry.

Reality is that there must beheaps of owners that have been considering whether the benefits of racing a horse for a total loss is worth the effort!

Yes there will be many who will be saddened by the AllStars departure whether it be temporary or permanent and there will be many that will be pleased!

• Like 2