Bit Of A Yarn

Trentham CEO gone!

Mikie

On 17/12/2020 at 7:02 PM, jess said:

Ahhh Mikie.  Well that's where I went wrong - I only started with a very small fortune.  And it's disappearing fast!  best I breed a champion STAT!!! 😃

The hopes and dreams are what we all do it for....that next foal, the next elegant step through the gate...where have you been, Jess?

Your sane and reasoned contributions have been missed!

Greetings and a kind wish to you Freda!

Yes I have been quiet - and it's been quiet round here on the odd occasions I've dropped in.  Esp on the breeding forum - but in saying that - I could have tried to rev up some conversation by posting there (not that I've had a great deal of success in the past ...)  - so in fairness, I must shoulder my share of the blame for a lack of traffic there 😛

I have been busy working (to support the tribe - and I don't mean the human tribe!) & playing with the ponies.  Have new foals but not doing any breeding this year - I will miss the wee tackers come next spring but we all have our limits - mine being time & dollars.  I always pay my bills before the due date (usually as soon as they arrive, really) & I will never get myself in a position where I can no longer do that.  Even talking to providers I deal with - there are far too many racing people who leave a trail of bad debts.  And I will never add to that list.  

Also - as much as I try to be optimistic (as you must, to survive in this game!) - I do hold grave fears for this industry.  Getting back to the thread - without delving into the details - I do reflect here in NZ we do tend to get very starry-eyed & bowled over when someone from Aussie applies for one of our higher vacancies.  We seem so flattered by them gracing us with their interest we appear to lose our minds & our ability to do due diligence and give good consideration to what we need & what we might be getting.  I am sure you can think of examples of this.    What is even more galling is the lack of accountability by those who appoint the "duds" - they seem to carry on their merry way, enjoying their fat salaries & corporate hospitality at premier race days.  We are very slow learners.  But then - how can you learn a lesson if you are never prepared to admit when you err?  (when I look back, I've learned way more from my mistakes than the things I've done well - it hasn't always been fun making the mistakes but many of them have at least yielded some benefit & I definitely don't tend to repeat them!)  

Anyhow - summer is here.  The hay paddocks are ready so just need the weather to play nice.  Those conventionals seem just a wee bit heavier each year it seems - but I'm pretty sure that's more about me than the man who bales the hay!  And what that reminds me, is that if we love our horses - keep doing it while we have the health to allow it.  I probably won't be up to wrangling TBs when I'm an old duck so I'm doing it while I can.  You know that saying - about the outside of the horse being good for the inside of the man (or woman)?   That's the thing for me.  They can be frustrating & they will break your heart sometimes - but I just love the bloody things.  Much as I have incredulously asked the other half when he arrives home - how it can take so long to play a round of golf - he sometimes asks me how it can take that bloody long to feed half a dozen horses.  But you see it's not the feeding - it's the hanging out with them - the smell of them - the feel of them - watching them in the paddock just being horses - breathing in the breath of a foal who is just learning to come up & trust you.  All that stuff.

Well back to the grindstone - work to do; mouths to feed.  Happy days to you one & all.  And personally - while it is not always PC these days to profess to have favorites - if the Chief Stipe was to issue an award for reasoned opinions, humility, intelligent discourse and humor - Freda - I've never met you in person, but you get my vote.  

Jess     

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 3

48 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

If that's not a champion post, nothing is.

It certainly is. 

You are too kind, Jess, I thank you, but will do my best to ensure that I can still get my head through the door.!

I share all your sentiments;  sometimes I get some odd looks when leaving engagements because I have to change rugs/top up waters/ make sure fireworks aren't causing problems...but in truth it's no chore, the welcoming chorus is just balm to the soul,  and I would rather sit and watch them all than listen to the rubbish I just left.

All the best to you for the festive season, and some much-deserved good fortune with your four-legged family.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300203423/racing-boss-steps-down-citing-personal-reasons

So here you go - here is the "real" story.  

Nothing to see here folks - and of course it is a vague variation on the other 2 trusty old chestnuts when it comes to explaining hasty or awkward exits:

1. Leaving position to spend more time with family

2. Leaving position to pursue other (unspecified) opportunities 

I'm a realist & have long since given up on the notion that the stakeholders anywhere, are told the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth.  But then the mischief in me takes over and I start thinking - if we aren't (or can't) be utterly, transparently forthcoming with all the facts - let's dispense with the same old-same old boring script - & at least apply some creativity and imagination to these press releases.  I am thinking more along these lines:

1. Leaving position after being attacked by a woolly mammoth (hitherto believed to be extinct) in the Palmerston North City Square - now hospitalized & doing well but expected to be a protracted recovery/rehabilitation required so relinquishing role.  Hunt for woolly mammoth continues - please remain in your vehicles or indoors if visiting Palmerston North until otherwise advised. 

2. Leaving position to attend a retreat in outer Mongolia (which  specializes in achieving intensive weight-loss) in the hope of fulfilling a life-long dream to become a jockey.  At 68 years of age & tipping the scales at a portly 120kg, s/he did not see any barriers to this new direction & s/he leaves with the full support of the committee (& as a token of the committee's appreciation - a gift of a one-way air ticket to Ulaanbaatar).

3. Leaving position after failing to turn up at work for a month - enquiries reveal s/he has likely been abducted by aliens.  Updates to follow as they become available (a Givealittle page has been launched accepting donations so aliens can be contracted to remove several other individuals from the organization's executive team.  Please give generously - aliens don't come cheap)      

Apologies. My imagination can run away with me sometimes.  Getting back in my box now.  Bye.

J.   

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, jess said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300203423/racing-boss-steps-down-citing-personal-reasons

Nothing to see here folks - and of course it is a vague variation on the other 2 trusty old chestnuts when it comes to explaining hasty or awkward exits:

I'm a realist & have long since given up on the notion that the stakeholders anywhere, are told the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth.  But then the mischief in me takes over and I start thinking - if we aren't (or can't) be utterly, transparently forthcoming with all the facts - let's dispense with the same old-same old boring script - & at least apply some creativity and imagination to these press releases.  I am thinking more along these lines:

1. Leaving position after being attacked by a woolly mammoth (hitherto believed to be extinct) in the Palmerston North City Square - now hospitalized & doing well but expected to be a protracted recovery/rehabilitation required so relinquishing role.  Hunt for woolly mammoth continues - please remain in your vehicles or indoors if visiting Palmerston North until otherwise advised. 

2. Leaving position to attend a retreat in outer Mongolia (which  specializes in achieving intensive weight-loss) in the hope of fulfilling a life-long dream to become a jockey.  At 68 years of age & tipping the scales at a portly 120kg, s/he did not see any barriers to this new direction & s/he leaves with the full support of the committee (& as a token of the committee's appreciation - a gift of a one-way air ticket to Ulaanbaatar).

3. Leaving position after failing to turn up at work for a month - enquiries reveal s/he has likely been abducted by aliens.  Updates to follow as they become available (a Givealittle page has been launched accepting donations so aliens can be contracted to remove several other individuals from the organization's executive team.  Please give generously - aliens don't come cheap)      

Apologies. My imagination can run away with me sometimes.  Getting back in my box now.  Bye.

J.   

Brilliant!

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I wondering how much of this statement is spin:

“When I arrived we were $11 million in debt. [Now], we are technically debt free.

“The business is now set up to be the second-most wealthiest club in the country [after Ellerslie] in the next two to three years.”

" Technically Debt free " , WTF does that mean , i'm no big knob business man , so perhaps if we have one that posts on here they could clarify .

Can i therefor assume i'm technically a millionaire if all my assets accumulate to more than a million ?

By saying the second most wealthiest club in the country is he giving that kudos to MRC or RACE and the multitude of offspring clubs ?

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

By saying the second most wealthiest club in the country is he giving that kudos to MRC or RACE and the multitude of offspring clubs ?

The bigger question is what club assets are they looking to acquire to achieve that?

Although the PGF welfare payment would "technically" bolster the assets!  Of course no mention of return on assets or having increased revenue and net profit!

46 minutes ago, nomates said:

" Technically Debt free " , WTF does that mean , i'm no big knob business man , so perhaps if we have one that posts on here they could clarify .

Can i therefor assume i'm technically a millionaire if all my assets accumulate to more than a million ?

Ha!  I chuckled a little at the "technically" too .... and as for the second most wealthiest - again - had me pondering just how that "fact" was arrived at - and the grammar simply made me wince ....😜  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

WARNING:  There are lots of rumours doing the rounds.  If anyone posts these without proof then the posts will be hidden.  As I'm not online every minute of the day feel free to use the Report function on the post (click on the 3 dots at top right of the post) to notify me.

Fair call Chief .... have to say though - there has been considerable restraint exhibited by the good & mature folks here at BOAY on this thread - even when taunted by reportage such as we see coming out now.   Sometimes it's possible to feel one's own intelligence - however modest - is being a teeny bit insulted. 

There is no elephant in the room people.  You may have noticed in the corner, an enormous grey leathery-hided mammal waving around a particularly long & flexible proboscis - he's currently on loan from the local zoo.  But there is NO ELEPHANT.  

Edited by jess
typo

Yes that sort of thing is very personal.  Good riddance.  RACE listened to a few of his mates and chose to ignore his misdeeds before hiring him.  It was always going to end in tears and it has.

As to him "working 6--70 hours per week - its not the hours you put in but what you put into the hours that matters.  Early on in his tenure I saw Al, on a busy day, carrying round a big container of tomato sauce - I thought to myself that he was earning a helluva lot of money to do that!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, jess said:

J.   

Is there any probability at all that the truth and only the truth shall be exposed?

3 hours ago, Mark D said:

Yes that sort of thing is very personal.  Good riddance.  RACE listened to a few of his mates and chose to ignore his misdeeds before hiring him.  It was always going to end in tears and it has.

As to him "working 6--70 hours per week - its not the hours you put in but what you put into the hours that matters.  Early on in his tenure I saw Al, on a busy day, carrying round a big container of tomato sauce - I thought to myself that he was earning a helluva lot of money to do that!

Exactly Mark! 

I think the CEO role in racing clubs in NZ has to be the most overrated role in racing.

I've advocated for a centralisation of that function and cannot see why it wouldn't work , the savings would be enormous and the knock on bureaucracy would also help the industry.

Te Rapa, Hawkes Bay Racing ,New Plymouth Racing , Tauranga Racing, Awapuni Racing,Wanganui racing ,Ruakaka Racing , Otago Racing,Otaki Racing and possibly a number of other clubs all have full time CEO roles as I understand , surely with the change in legislation the number of roles is not required, its more an event management function than anything else?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Huey said:

Exactly Mark! 

I think the CEO role in racing clubs in NZ has to be the most overrated role in racing.

I've advocated for a centralisation of that function and cannot see why it wouldn't work , the savings would be enormous and the knock on bureaucracy would also help the industry.

Te Rapa, Hawkes Bay Racing ,New Plymouth Racing , Tauranga Racing, Awapuni Racing,Wanganui racing ,Ruakaka Racing , Otago Racing,Otaki Racing and possibly a number of other clubs all have full time CEO roles as I understand , surely with the change in legislation the number of roles is not required, its more an event management function than anything else?

Google Bully Huey, it's amazing the names that emerge connected with that adjective........

Chief - you have nothing to fear from me - you should know by now I operate here within appropriate boundaries - as have the others on this thread.

And I have no idea what you have heard & class as "salacious gossip". 

Speaking for myself though & in relation to what I have "heard" - I have reason to believe a fact check could well find it more accurate than what I've read in the media.

J.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jess said:

Speaking for myself though & in relation to what I have "heard" - I have reason to believe a fact check could well find it more accurate than what I've read in the media.

I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone Jess.

In terms of "fact check" where do you do that if it isn't in the media?

Mark & Huey - good points fellas.  These CEO gigs (& those occupying them) have survived all the amalgamation malarkey nicely! - and are they really needed?  I presume with such a lofty title the role is handsomely remunerated too ....?

On the other hand, folks - & I'm no expert in matters of racing governance - but if AR was working an "unsustainable" 70hrs a week - perhaps we should employ TWO CEOs.  Clearly there is a lot of very important work to do and so it looks like we actually need two very important people to do it.

Chairman Paul Humphries is standing in currently.  I understand he is a pretty busy businessman himself - besides his racing role/s - running a large construction company.  And now he has taken on this role as relieving CEO.  So based on AR's version - someone please get Mr Humphries a cape!   

image.jpeg.ac80fa15004ef1fb46b142c0d77d6245.jpeg