Bit Of A Yarn

Cambridge

Karrots

19 hours ago, Karrots said:

Iv made selections, the Group races were easier, Copy That & Majestic Man.

Does anyone know what Mach Shards gate speed is like? Could CT cross from the mile start mark? 

Thinking come race day might have 1 bet, a win multi on them both, but not if Mach Shard maybe able to hold the top ...

So no-one answered maybe no-one knows ... In keeping eyes on it 👀 I spied this article on Lincoln farms pg today. R Green has same thought process as me. If Copy That leads he wins. But what if connections of Mach Shard want to lead ... his words as per article below. 

“It’s pointless going back but crossing them could be easier said than done. If Mach Shard wants to lead, it will make things tougher.”

I think Copy That could still probably win parked. But much harder. What do others think? Yes/No? Bookies have CT fav at $2.30, not even worth doing that multi with MM, as MM is only paying $1.15 for a win! MM not even worth betting. Dumb Karrots thinks. 

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/ray-flying-mile-right-up-copy-thats-alley-and-if-he-leads-it-should-be-game-over/

2 hours ago, Karrots said:

So no-one answered maybe no-one knows ... In keeping eyes on it 👀 I spied this article on Lincoln farms pg today. R Green has same thought process as me. If Copy That leads he wins. But what if connections of Mach Shard want to lead ... his words as per article below. 

“It’s pointless going back but crossing them could be easier said than done. If Mach Shard wants to lead, it will make things tougher.”

I think Copy That could still probably win parked. But much harder. What do others think? Yes/No? Bookies have CT fav at $2.30, not even worth doing that multi with MM, as MM is only paying $1.15 for a win! MM not even worth betting. Dumb Karrots thinks. 

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/ray-flying-mile-right-up-copy-thats-alley-and-if-he-leads-it-should-be-game-over/

Karrots , you do love your 'Cambridge corners' there in your home Waikato .....lol..... so looking at those inside draws.

I'm not convinced !!! .......... (about your corners hehehe)

there is a NZ Cup winner!, and a Miracle Mile winner !  in the race, and You Just Can't Get any better than that . Q .

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Karrots , you do love your 'Cambridge corners' there in your home Waikato .....lol..... so looking at those inside draws.

I'm not convinced !!! .......... (about your corners hehehe)

there is a NZ Cup winner!, and a Miracle Mile winner !  in the race, and You Just Can't Get any better than that . Q .

Haha, all good Gamms, you tots don't have to agree with me & you don't have to believe in the Camb corner theory. I took a quick look at Mach Shards gate speed, its hard when most are stands, & then hes had rough draws or been eased out of it off gate. But yeah, that Camb corner comes real quick, starting at the mile. I took a quick look at the race last year and saw what number 1 did Dance Time. And it was off the gate 1-2 length at the start, but B Mangos wanted to hold the top & hold the top he did as that Camb cnr hit real soon & gave the advantage. That stable had 4 runners in got (2nd-3rd-4th), Dance Time got last the other runner who held the top. It seemed they were trying to hold the Barry P runners out ironically Mach S and On the Cards.

But anyways moving to this Fridays race, I would just about bet you anyway, that should Copy That sit parked over the mile at Camb, I find it more of an up-hill battle for your 2, Spankem and Self Assured to run past him over that shorter distance and with those Cnrs. You would be on the NZ Cup winner Miracle Mile winner with nothing to lose right. 

In my mind I would be thinking they would need to come 3-4 wide off potentially a potent last 400metres and if they sit 1 lenght behing Copy That + going 3-4 wide, well lets see shall we? 

A fun bet - no money just bragging rights?  😁😁

You hold the advantage. Mine could be parked the whole way ... what you say 😉😁

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Karrots said:

Haha, all good Gamms, you tots don't have to agree with me & you don't have to believe in the Camb corner theory. I took a quick look at Mach Shards gate speed, its hard when most are stands, & then hes had rough draws or been eased out of it off gate. But yeah, that Camb corner comes real quick, starting at the mile. I took a quick look at the race last year and saw what number 1 did Dance Time. And it was off the gate 1-2 length at the start, but B Mangos wanted to hold the top & hold the top he did as that Camb cnr hit real soon & gave the advantage. That stable had 4 runners in got (2nd-3rd-4th), Dance Time got last the other runner who held the top. It seemed they were trying to hold the Barry P runners out ironically Mach S and On the Cards.

But anyways moving to this Fridays race, I would just about bet you anyway, that should Copy That sit parked over the mile at Camb, I find it more of an up-hill battle for your 2, Spankem and Self Assured to run past him over that shorter distance and with those Cnrs. You would be on the NZ Cup winner Miracle Mile winner with nothing to lose right. 

In my mind I would be thinking they would need to come 3-4 wide off potentially a potent last 400metres and if they sit 1 lenght behing Copy That + going 3-4 wide, well lets see shall we? 

A fun bet - no money just bragging rights?  😁😁

You hold the advantage. Mine could be parked the whole way ... what you say 😉😁

Hahaha I'm always bragging , Win or Lose, because it was fun trying anyway ......

The Fixer, has fixed me up , as he won a NZ CUP as well !!! now I have half the field hehehe. Think Nat drove it to win too. Isn't she the best ????  lol.....

Only threw the water on your 'Corners ' for this G2 race , so hoping you're back all Square and symmetrical after this event lol. for the rest of the card.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Hahaha I'm always bragging , Win or Lose, because it was fun trying anyway ......

The Fixer, has fixed me up , as he won a NZ CUP as well !!! now I have half the field hehehe. Think Nat drove it to win too. Isn't she the best ????  lol.....

Only threw the water on your 'Corners ' for this G2 race , so hoping you're back all Square and symmetrical after this event lol. for the rest of the card.

Haha love it. Ok cool we are on. You have Fixer, Spankem, Self Assured. I'll be on Copy That. Be 1st past the post. 

Let's do this. I'll take your number 6 spot I think you are, should you win on ladder & if you win, you get bragging rights. 

Now, I'll get Utter Rage if Copy That, hands up parked spot to any of your runners - be like 😡 Be like game over. I was thinking too he could come in for a crack at top from parked once they straighten up again. Should lead not be there 1st time..

Sweet our fun bet is on 💃🕺💯😁

Here is a $200 fixed win bet up for grabs for Waikato flying Mile tomorrow.

Camb raceway with another fun initiative to get engagement. Interesting to see peoples selections in comments. 

https://www.facebook.com/CambridgeRaceway/videos/809252222955444/

We have a $200 fixed odds bet up for grabs!
📲Simply tell us who you think will win this years edition of the Waikato Flying Mile, tag a friend and you’re in the draw! 

Link to the fields 👇

https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahrs/fields/010809fd.htm…

🐴 Race 9, 8.20pm

**T&C’s - You must ‘like’ Cambridge Raceway Facebook page to be eligible to win. A name will be drawn at random at 1pm Friday January 8th and the $200 bet will be placed on the horse in your comment.

• Champ Post 1

Racing: No dream homecoming for Hayden Cullen at Cambridge in start of a new era for stable

7 Jan, 2021 08:05 PM
Spankem raced in the Auckland Cup eight days ago so would have taken little work. Photo / Trish Dunell Spankem raced in the Auckland Cup eight days ago so would have taken little work. Photo / Trish Dunell
NZ Herald
By: Michael Guerin

Hayden Cullen's dream homecoming at Cambridge tomorrow night is being dampened by one small detail: he won't be there.

The man taking over Australasia's most powerful harness racing stable is learning the realities of what that means — work always comes first.

Cullen is now the trainer for almost all the horses which until last week were part of Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen's All Stars brand, with the pair taking a sabbatical from training.

The 36-year-old now runs the most powerful stable in the industry even though to casual punters it will look much the same tomorrow night, with Cullen also taking over Purdon's famous colours and Purdon and Rasmussen both driving.

But this is Cullen's team now and he has been in the north working them this week. Until today.

"I have had to come back to Christchurch to work the babies because they are at an important stage and we need to look forward with them," he tells the Herald.

"So while I looked after the horses up there this week, I won't be going to Cambridge. That is a little bit of a shame because it is my home track and I'd love to have been there but this is my job now, I have to look after the whole team and delegate staff to be where I can't."

Cullen says it was a surreal feeling to see his name in the form guides next to Self Assured and Spankem.

"This isn't usually how it usually works. When you start training it is often with a few maidens and unraced horses, not New Zealand Cup and Miracle Mile winners. I don't think it has sunk in yet and I don't think it will for a few weeks."

So what does all this mean for punters? It would be unrealistic to think Cullen, or anybody else, could maintain the standards Purdon and Rasmussen have set so some horses might eventually see a dip in performance.

But there is no proof of that yet and if things change that should take a while to show up.

Cullen is a young man taking on a massive job and while he has been trained by the best as their foreman, he is still going to learn as he goes.

But the reality is Spankem and Ashley Locaz raced in the Auckland Cup only eight days ago so would have taken little work this week leading into a mile race, while Cullen says he is happy with Self Assured, who hasn't raced since winning the New Zealand Cup because of a corn.

"I worked him on Wednesday and he worked well," he says.

"He is not carrying any extra weight and is ready to go but the draws make it tough for all of ours because it looks like Copy That will lead and that will make him very hard to beat."

The Flying Mile at Cambridge being what it is, with leaders so hard to catch at this level, Cullen's debut with three of New Zealand's best pacers could well end in defeat because the best version of Copy That might be unbeatable in front.

But Cullen should get his first solo training victory — he has 62 in partnership with Brent Mangos between 2011 and 2014 — with Italian Lad (R8, No 11).

"He has worked well and is fitter for his last start so he will be hard to beat."

If he is right Cullen and his wife Amanda, who will help run the stable, can raise a glass for their first win in a unique chapter of New Zealand racing.

And then tomorrow get straight back to work.

"I have had to come back to Christchurch to work the babies because they are at an important stage and we need to look forward with them," he tells the Herald.

"So while I looked after the horses up there this week, I won't be going to Cambridge. That is a little bit of a shame because it is my home track and I'd love to have been there but this is my job now, I have to look after the whole team and delegate staff to be

Well that is just plain ridiculous. Cullen Was actually IN THE NORTH , looking after those Waikato racing horses, and flew out today Before the race??,  that could be his First GROUP 2 as a Trainer ??? to work Babies?? , why not work them at the weekend then. Enjoy the Friday  Race Moment surely?. 

That is just Gob-Smacking. Surely he needs to be there to dish out the Driving Instructions ? (tongue in cheek)

the staff left at home must be shit, can't look after the "babies'  extra couple of days. Good grief.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Well that is just plain ridiculous. Cullen Was actually IN THE NORTH , looking after those Waikato racing horses, and flew out today Before the race??,  that could be his First GROUP 2 as a Trainer ??? to work Babies?? , why not work them at the weekend then. Enjoy the Friday  Race Moment surely?. 

That is just Gob-Smacking. Surely he needs to be there to dish out the Driving Instructions ? (tongue in cheek)

the staff left at home must be shit, can't look after the "babies'  extra couple of days. Good grief.

Purdon/Rasmussen are still training, just wanted their names off the horses!

. Why are they still up there driving when they wanted a break?

Pretty  bit fishy isnt it??

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Purdon/Rasmussen are still training, just wanted their names off the horses!

. Why are they still up there driving when they wanted a break?

Pretty  bit fishy isnt it??

Maybe they have  5 dollars on another trainer for the premiership so had to close down or lose their fiver😁

• Haha 3

Big boots Hayden Cullen is going to have to fill, those of Nat and Mark.

He is going to have to up the wages to Tim and co. As he just will not be able to cope with the pressure.

His current big spending owners are going to want the continuation of big results!

While Mark and Nat are around the results you would think would be the same, providing the special training techniques are employed!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Why are they still up there driving when they wanted a break?

Pretty bit fishy isnt it??

When you put it that way it is an interesting question. Something I didn't understand was why the same colours when the trainer completely changed? Maybe it normal, I don't know or maybe to psych-out opposition. Who knows. 

Had never heard of Cullen prior take-over thing but have instantly warmed to him after reading article. Seems like a likeable nice man. Very exciting for him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Karrots said:

When you put it that way it is an interesting question. Something I didn't understand was why the same colours when the trainer completely changed? Maybe it normal, I don't know or maybe to psych-out opposition. Who knows. 

Had never heard of Cullen prior take-over thing but have instantly warmed to him after reading article. Seems like a likeable nice man. Very exciting for him. 

I was excited for him too !! as never heard of him but Training a Big Race winner is a great honour. 

Now he is sent Packing BEFORE a defining moment ?? Musn't be the new Head of things at all, Just another Worker.

36 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Something I didn't understand was why the same colours when the trainer completely changed? Maybe it normal,

Not normal. Bloke Shoud have his Own colours as a Trainer. Very strange that Mark and Nats colours still going on horses .

Interestingly Karrots , in Brisbane the DRIVERS (about 20 regulars) who go around in most races , just keep their own colours on for the day's racing , that are a good fit and comfortable . (some even with short sleeves here in warm Brisbane) Makes perfect sense.

Of course an occasional OWNER (like at the gallops) wants to see his colours go around , so they will do that for him/her too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Hayden Cullen must  have the confidence in the stablehands, Mark Purdon and Nat Rasmussen, that they can look after the horses at Cambridge well enough!

Yeah , bit of a tragedy that Cullen can't get some glory. Maybe they can mix the numbers up in the feature race tonight on the three runners , (like amatuer stablehands), 

and then the  Trainer woud have to stay from then on, and get things done properly.

23 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Not normal. Bloke Shoud have his Own colours as a Trainer. Very strange that Mark and Nats colours still going on horses 

Wow Gamms big call coming from you. I say that as 99% of the time everything is all peaches and roses, so for you to say that, is quite the big call. Seems like you have rage lol. (Its just my fun word I use when grumpy or whatever). 

Here is a question for you Gamms - I remember seeing in letter that was sent to owners, there would be a different training fee, so factor that in, to your assessment ... Thoughts on that? Another thing l recall reading the words "rest and rejuvenate" in same letter.

Interesting re not normal to keep same colours. That was what I suspected, but didn't know for sure. 

Wow Gamms big call coming from you. I say that as 99% of the time everything is all peaches and roses, so for you to say that, is quite the big call. Seems like you have rage lol. (Its just my fun word I use when grumpy or whatever). 

Here is a question for you Gamms - I remember seeing in letter that was sent to owners, there would be a different training fee, so factor that in, to your assessment ... Thoughts on that? Another thing l recall reading the words "rest and rejuvenate" in same letter.

Interesting re not normal to keep same colours. That was what I suspected, but didn't know for sure. 

Yes , I was a huge Allstars Fan , as their results terrific (Interdominions, NZ Cups and Auckland Cups all over the place)

But those colours were Nats and Marks colours. Where are Cullen's? . some owners have their own colours like at the Gallops. Grant Dixon has a major owner of dozen or more of his team so wears those owner silks often, while his wife drives in their Dixon colours, (they often have 2 horses in the one race)

The Allstar colours aren't the owners,  so why Cullen not having his own ? and Why did they send him home ? poor bugger.

The promise of so much , but 2 stabs already..... poorbugger. Hope you win our Bet tonight then Karrots ! lol and Allstars miss out

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Yes , I was a huge Allstars Fan , as their results terrific (Interdominions, NZ Cups and Auckland Cups all over the place)

But those colours were Nats and Marks colours. Where are Cullen's? . some owners have their own colours like at the Gallops. Grant Dixon has a major owner of dozen or more of his team so wears those owner silks often, while his wife drives in their Dixon colours, (they often have 2 horses in the one race)

The Allstar colours aren't the owners,  so why Cullen not having his own ? and Why did they send him home ? poor bugger.

The promise of so much , but 2 stabs already..... poorbugger. Hope you win our Bet tonight then Karrots ! lol and Allstars miss out

it is all bullshit lol on hrnz they say Cullen has been up there all week so why not stay up there one more night and see your horses race ? 

• Like 1

It is interesting. Here is public made info, I have taken some snippets from that letter that was sent to owners.

Our sabbatical will commence on 1st January 2021

Mark will also be undertaking a mentoring role to Hayden

We both have made the decision to take a career break whilst we take time to rest and rejuvenate

They will be training and racing horses under their own name, Cullen Racing Stables

Cullen Racing Stables will continue the same high-quality training and care of your horses but will have a different daily training rate

18 minutes ago, Karrots said:

It is interesting. Here is public made info, I have taken some snippets from that letter that was sent to owners.

Our sabbatical will commence on 1st January 2021

Mark will also be undertaking a mentoring role to Hayden

We both have made the decision to take a career break whilst we take time to rest and rejuvenate

They will be training and racing horses under their own name, Cullen Racing Stables

Cullen Racing Stables will continue the same high-quality training and care of your horses but will have a different daily training rate

A very slow start to the transition it seems. New trainer not present for kickoff of the new set-up opening night.

Gone 'home' early , not a lot of big race-night mentoring at this stage. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

A very slow start to the transition it seems. New trainer not present for kickoff of the new set-up opening night.

Gone 'home' early , not a lot of big race-night mentoring at this stage. ??

Yes that was my point, a number of contradictions 😉

And lets not forget new name but not new colours.

Thinking further about the change in price fee, would be natural anyway, once such an announcement is made, one could not charge or been seen to charge at the same price. 

I don't know, it is all interesting.

Will be interesting to watch this space and see what happens moving forward and lets remember, M Purdons plans to go to Aus and campaign some horses has not gone ahead due to Covid.

• Like 1