Bit Of A Yarn

More INCOMPETENCE in the Sth Island

Thomass

45 minutes ago, Freda said:

Changing tack slightly...I have been watching with some consternation the recent efforts of Quintuple Twins.

Particularly, because at Ashburton she was one of Chris Johnson's mounts and would have attracted much interest on that account alone. 

This is a mare which won five in a row last prep and looked to be going places. 

What a shadow of that she is now.

At the barriers, last Thursday,  she was the center of some attention from barrier staff, they looked to be adjusting or removing something in the region of her hock, but not really clear to see.

In the race, she's keen enough early although has her head on one side, then changes leg, lugs in, seems to scramble and get very unbalanced and then  drops away.

If she had a faulty bandage or boot removed, shouldn't that be in the report?

She looked ( to me ) as if she had belted her hock which caused her to dramatically change her action.

As a runner of interest,  shouldn't that have been investigated?

Nothing said on either account. 

Hmmm. Was vetted the start before. No abnormalities. Appeared to dip a couple of times at the top of the straight at Ashburton (not handling footing?) and then was squeezed out of her run?

Edited by curious

1 hour ago, curious said:

Hmmm. Was vetted the start before. No abnormalities. Appeared to dip a couple of times at the top of the straight at Ashburton (not handling footing?) and then was squeezed out of her run?

Possibly.  That's not the way it looked to me, though.

And I didn't back her either!

12 minutes ago, Dark Beau said:

How did it look to you Freda?

It looked as if the mare had belted her hock, or hurt herself in some similar way, shortened up, lost her action with her head on one side, and dropped away.

Considering her previous very good form, the change is startling.

• Like 1

Ok good work, took my advice and finally fined someone...

Southland Racing Club 12th December 2020 - Race 6 AWS Legal Southland Crystals Open 2200M /Race 8 Tim Yeo Contracting R74 1600M
Trainer J Gordon admitted a breach of Rule 616 (4) in that she presented and raced NOPELE and RIPNROLL with visor blinkers when only blinkers were declared. After hearing from all parties the JCA imposed a fine of $150. 

I feel a bit sorry for her though...here's the pattern...

Got another winner today with Blinkers on....also on last start...but first time declared in Blinkers raced in Visors for 2 starts...

The pattern is if Gordon has 2 runners in one race...she slaps the Blinkers on one and the VISORs on the other...

Today with one runner it gets to wear Blinkers...clearly she thought there's no difference....and has only one Hood in her kit...ignorance of the law is no excuse but another trainer tried the same trick today and got caught out....

After the gear checker got a kick up the jacksey....

Still doesn't explain why Gordon put the Nasal Strip on and the checker wasn't sharp enough to pick it up...

Lets hope the HOPELESS RIU have sent out a general missive of...

CHECK FOR SLITS

On 19/12/2020 at 10:13 AM, curious said:

Shouldn't the horse have been declared a non-runner or disqualified?

That'd be a tough call wouldn't it?

When Gripper left the Barrier Blanket off IN A TWINKLING in the Derby...hadn't been slow out in previous 6 starts with it on...

....Then slow out in the Derby going down by a head at the finish...should be DQ'd?

Outragious stuff but the hopeless RIU failed to audit Starting protocols for another year after realising the HQ Starters weren't following the standard rules...

...and paid the price when Gripper and Scooter failed yet again to adhere to the Starters manual when leaving a horse out in the City of Aucks Cup this year...

53 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Ok good work, took my advice and finally fined someone...

Southland Racing Club 12th December 2020 - Race 6 AWS Legal Southland Crystals Open 2200M /Race 8 Tim Yeo Contracting R74 1600M
Trainer J Gordon admitted a breach of Rule 616 (4) in that she presented and raced NOPELE and RIPNROLL with visor blinkers when only blinkers were declared. After hearing from all parties the JCA imposed a fine of $150. 

I feel a bit sorry for her though...here's the pattern...

Got another winner today with Blinkers on....also on last start...but first time declared in Blinkers raced in Visors for 2 starts...

The pattern is if Gordon has 2 runners in one race...she slaps the Blinkers on one and the VISORs on the other...

Today with one runner it gets to wear Blinkers...clearly she thought there's no difference....and has only one Hood in her kit...ignorance of the law is no excuse but another trainer tried the same trick today and got caught out....

After the gear checker got a kick up the jacksey....

Still doesn't explain why Gordon put the Nasal Strip on and the checker wasn't sharp enough to pick it up...

Lets hope the HOPELESS RIU have sent out a general missive of...

CHECK FOR SLITS

Better late than never, I guess, took big Thomass to give em a curry up,

Never ever been described as BIG shad...very diminutive in every facet..especially dim...

With Xmas around the corner I feel sorry for getting her fined though...should have waited until after Xmas

Im sure the Trainers Assoc. will put out a missive telling their members to read da rules though...ok

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thomass said:

Never ever been described as BIG shad...very diminutive in every facet..especially dim...

With Xmas around the corner I feel sorry for getting her fined though...should have waited until after Xmas

Im sure the Trainers Assoc. will put out a missive telling their members to read da rules though...ok

That's all good Thomas's, rules are rules, and from a punters point of view is important to know, I had a whinge a while back when a horse I used to follow won two races after plodding around down the deep south, raced and won at ashburton, then at riccarton, after race interview horse had been at riccarton for a month or two, with a different trainer, I still never seen any notification of a change, would have been a changer for me punting wise, was still  in original trainers name, unless I missed it somewhere, I no the harness advertise horse movements, anyone no the rules regarding stable changes.Anyway getting back to the other, just remember, small ones try harder.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Shad said:

That's all good Thomas's, rules are rules, and from a punters point of view is important to know, I had a whinge a while back when a horse I used to follow won two races after plodding around down the deep south, raced and won at ashburton, then at riccarton, after race interview horse had been at riccarton for a month or two, with a different trainer, I still never seen any notification of a change, would have been a changer for me punting wise, was still  in original trainers name, unless I missed it somewhere, I no the harness advertise horse movements, anyone no the rules regarding stable changes.Anyway getting back to the other, just remember, small ones try harder.

The rule is still 28 days as far as I know,  but if the former trainer visits his horse and/ or watches it work, etc, before the 28 days is up all is kosher.

As you say, misleading for the public, and my personal feeling is that either a 'caretaker'  trainer should be notified, or else there should be a stable change.

1 hour ago, Freda said:

The rule is still 28 days as far as I know,  but if the former trainer visits his horse and/ or watches it work, etc, before the 28 days is up all is kosher.

As you say, misleading for the public, and my personal feeling is that either a 'caretaker'  trainer should be notified, or else there should be a stable change.

Does S Marsh lay eyes on his horses at Riccarton or is it just his foreman who comes down every so often ?

58 minutes ago, nomates said:

Does S Marsh lay eyes on his horses at Riccarton or is it just his foreman who comes down every so often ?

No and not very often.

However, there may be an exemption in place for a satellite stable.

The girls (Sam Wynne and Lisa Young)  are doing a grand job anyway.

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

No and not very often.

Whatever the situation the owners are obviously happy with the situation , i prefer that if i'm paying a trainer that they are the ones with eyeballs on my horse and it's work , if not everyday then most .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Thanks for clearing that rule up, for me trainer changes always get my interest, Madam de soir the horse in question had been battling down south on bog tracks and in average fields, then when I seen her come south for a few starts, i thought she must be showing plenty to bring up to ashburton and riccarton,  little did I know Danny crozier had her, he certainly worked the Oracle, been in great form since, a frustrating rule that one, needs addressing like the standardbred horse movements rule, notifications. 

13 hours ago, Freda said:

No and not very often.

Serious question though Freda....

...who does the gear checking down South at the various courses...is it the farrier sometimes at lesser meetings...and junior Stipes at Riccarton?

50 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Serious question though Freda....

...who does the gear checking down South at the various courses...is it the farrier sometimes at lesser meetings...and junior Stipes at Riccarton?

Stipes at Riccarton, Timaru and Ashburton,  haven't been anywhere else for a long time I'm afraid but will take note for you...!

The starter checks brands and maybe other people have had a turn doing that,  which may have caused some confusion. 

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Stipes at Riccarton, Timaru and Ashburton,  haven't been anywhere else for a long time I'm afraid but will take note for you...!

The starter checks brands and maybe other people have had a turn doing that,  which may have caused some confusion. 

Thanks Freda, you're a scholarly Maiden and a gentlewoman...

Merry Xmas!

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Interesting to see how horse numbers stack up for the pending coast thoroughbred circuit, I see the Tyler's are staying home, which makes sense, hope the Myers barn make trip down, and a few other stalwarts. 

Very few meetings in Canterbury following cup week,very few at Ashburton last week,spose Timaru and Kurow will suffice for a while,Waikouaiti and Omakau gone as numbers for both meetings dwindled in last year or three,Riverton might be a good day,all 15000 races but will probably just be Otago south runners,or maybe not,as for the coast, numbers will be interesting.

Edited by mikeynz

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Interesting to see how horse numbers stack up for the pending coast thoroughbred circuit, I see the Tyler's are staying home, which makes sense, hope the Myers barn make trip down, and a few other 

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Interesting to see how horse numbers stack up for the pending coast thoroughbred circuit, I see the Tyler's are staying home, which makes sense, hope the Myers barn make trip down, and a few other stalwarts. 

Kind of funny Riverton getting a new year day when talk of closing course,I think they have raced at new years before,always when Omakau was about the 10th of jan Southland had some new year racing.

Could understand why Tyler's are staying at home, better stakes, no travel, no brainer isn't it, as for the coasters 3 meetings in a week, Monday, Thursday, Saturday, will be a interesting week that's for sure, Reefton apparently starting at 2.30pm.

37 minutes ago, Shad said:

Could understand why Tyler's are staying at home, better stakes, no travel, no brainer isn't it, as for the coasters 3 meetings in a week, Monday, Thursday, Saturday, will be a interesting week that's for sure, Reefton apparently starting at 2.30pm.

They have jammed those days in tight,no room for error as in weather.