Bit Of A Yarn

What about this for a 2yr old field at Ellerslie this Saturday Boxing Day 2020?!

Chief Stipe

18 minutes ago, Freda said:

My observation was - as I said above - mouthwatering.  And I was looking at pedigrees, as I assume was the Chief,  and wishing that I had access to some quality bloodstock like those.

Not implying anything about their relative ability, whether the crop is strong or otherwise, just the pleasure to be had by handling SOMETHING that might have a future, and not a well-tried-and-found-wanting model from somewhere else.

Given that it is unlikely that any of these two year olds will back up in 6 days what will the Grp2 Eclipse Stakes field on New Year's Day look like?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Karaka Sales figures for each.  

Follow Your Dreams $24,000

Palamos $85,000

Sophisticardo $35,000

King of Reds $20,000

Sneaky Shark $165,000

Bergheim $30,000

Coyote $26,000

Burgundy Dancer $8,000

Berbizier $32,000

Miss Ipenema $20,000

Beldarra $115,000

Lady Pristina $80,000

Dragons Kiss $150,000

Seven Twenty $14,000

The Night King $100,000

The Charging $45,000

Molinara $100,000

Why worry about those cheap horses, there is one in at NP on Tuesday that cost $500k that's racing for a cool $10k (well 5k really but you get my drift)

9 minutes ago, Huey said:

No. 7 - Titled

I think you might have been  the underbidder on it .? ;0

Exceed and Excel : Tricia'o  $500,000 GE Harding.  A half brother to Karpool Khan which sold for $700,000 and has won $39,000 to date.  From the same family as La Sizeranne...... dam line left Grosvenor.  A half by Snitzel in this years Book 1 at Karaka.  I guess they will be hoping for Titled to show some form!

No I underbid on another.

Only 4 winners is a reflection of the  paucity of 2yo races so far , they also started a month later than usual . There will be a rush of 2yo races now to give horses a chance to qualify for the big show . Hopefully not too many are rushed to try and qualify and get broken by the experience . Then the black type 2yo races come in a rush , New Plymouth , the G1's at Auckland then Palmerston . Another part of the calendar that needs to be looked at IMO .

I also see that Te Akau have 7 of the top 9 in betting for the 2yo million race , i think they're a good chance of taking out it out again , perhaps . It would be nice to see a real battler with a cheap horse win it , give the rest of us battlers hope .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Only 4 winners is a reflection of the  paucity of 2yo races so far , they also started a month later than usual . There will be a rush of 2yo races now to give horses a chance to qualify for the big show . Hopefully not too many are rushed to try and qualify and get broken by the experience . Then the black type 2yo races come in a rush , New Plymouth , the G1's at Auckland then Palmerston . Another part of the calendar that needs to be looked at IMO .

I also see that Te Akau have 7 of the top 9 in betting for the 2yo million race , i think they're a good chance of taking out it out again , perhaps . It would be nice to see a real battler with a cheap horse win it , give the rest of us battlers hope .

Strip away the hype & BS from that race & its always quite ordinary,made even worse by the fact you have one stable completely dominate every aspect of it , I find it sad that it belittles our G1 races for 2yos & the 2yo pattern in general.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Huey said:

Strip away the hype & BS from that race & its always quite ordinary,made even worse by the fact you have one stable completely dominate every aspect of it , I find it sad that it belittles our G1 races for 2yos & the 2yo pattern in general.

And distorts the sires table/premiership Huey, as it's a restricted race the prizemoney SHOULD not be included in the leading sires tabulation.....end of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Good luck to them going for 5 in a row.  They target the race and seem to keep their horses sound.  

Interesting that the top qualifier at the moment they are training for Chris Rutten.  Good judge that man.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Good luck to them going for 5 in a row.  They target the race and seem to keep their horses sound.  

Interesting that the top qualifier at the moment they are training for Chris Rutten.  Good judge that man.

I think if you go back and look you'll find a lot of the 2yo's they have aimed for it haven't gone on afterwards .

I really cant understand why we have listed and group 2yr old races before Xmas.....utter waste of money. We even have a black type 2yr old race before Australia do, go figure. Why do we keep rolling out the same programme.....to suit a couple of stables and that’s about it maybe

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Huey said:

The Wellesley looks an interesting race this week with Titled , Ansu and the TA horse all lining up. I thought both Titled and Ansu were impressive at their first starts.

I just commented in another thread that I dont think it is what it could be due to the proximity of the Karaka Million.