Bit Of A Yarn

What about this for a 2yr old field at Ellerslie this Saturday Boxing Day 2020?!

Chief Stipe

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I just commented in another thread that I dont think it is what it could be due to the proximity of the Karaka Million.

Agree, but given the KM its still a fairly interesting race, despite the KM being a bigger field and with all the hype and hoopla that goes with it, I don't expect the field to be much better than this.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You said the Wellesley was better I disagree.

Yes I know, my statement is obviously based on the potential of a number of runners which I think are quite exciting. The KM will be a larger field so obviously more depth, but which horses cause you to get excited in the KM 2yo? 

You'd have to think the Sires Produce will be a helluva a race if everything goes there in the 2yo category.

13 minutes ago, Huey said:

Share your enthusiasm with me? What am I missing?

https://www.nzb.co.nz/sponsorships/karaka-million/2yo-2021

For $1m it hasn't got the heart racing imho. 

With this type of race you will always get an average year . Have you noticed that as a rule it is generally the fillies that handle the pressure cooker prep for it and have kicked on as older horses . The colts that have performed in it haven't turned into much . 

Haven't even heard of Cool Aza Beel since he won last year , anybody got info on him ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nomates said:

With this type of race you will always get an average year . Have you noticed that as a rule it is generally the fillies that handle the pressure cooker prep for it and have kicked on as older horses . The colts that have performed in it haven't turned into much . 

Haven't even heard of Cool Aza Beel since he won last year , anybody got info on him ?

been retired hasn't he , heading to stud, Newhaven???

56 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Disagree.  Some ordinary fields interest first few years.

I reckon there is a star amongst this crop.

I'd love to be there to see it.

You might be right , but for me it's one of those years where it's a nice average bunch that will have a couple of nice horses come out of it .

It wouldn't surprise me if TA have the best still at home in that unbeaten filly that won at Otaki and Auck , or we might not have even seen the best one out yet .

You might be right , but for me it's one of those years where it's a nice average bunch that will have a couple of nice horses come out of it .

It wouldn't surprise me if TA have the best still at home in that unbeaten filly that won at Otaki and Auck , or we might not have even seen the best one out yet .

Clearly their best ones aren't in the race, the Eclipse pairing and the unbeaten Extreme Choice colt amongst them. 

Very average lot.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Disagree.  Some ordinary fields interest first few years.

I reckon there is a star amongst this crop.

I'd love to be there to see it.

Well I disagree back. Of course only time will tell.

Great fields surrounding the over hyped race though.

16 hours ago, Huey said:

Well I disagree back. Of course only time will tell.

Great fields surrounding the over hyped race though.

The more I analyse the Karaka Million the more I'm convinced that the field this year is one of the best ever.  I can see big upsides in more than half the field including the ballots.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep Kenny's is a good horse.  Which means Avonella is no slug.

Coyote looks a good un especially when distance on big tracks arrives.

There's a Sneaky in amongst the Te Akau horses.

Sophisticardo , very good run last start . But definitely want to see K Rae horse win , last start was huge .

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The more I analyse the Karaka Million the more I'm convinced that the field this year is one of the best ever.  I can see big upsides in more than half the field including the ballots.

I'm backing Huey, what an average lot this mob are, if you did a free handicap it would be embarrassing.

Sophisticardo , very good run last start . But definitely want to see K Rae horse win , last start was huge .

Definitely got a chance.  Kenny doesn't push many 2 yr olds.  It will be a bit like the Golden Skipper - if you can't make your own luck then you'll need luck!

I just think Chief there are talented horses not qualified, it's the same here for the MM.......a good race but not a Golden Slipper......no way Jose.........the Blue diamond is the same, to be fair I'm an anti Karaka fella, as you've guessed and as I've stated, a closed race shouldn't hold sway, the VOBIS series in VIC have several huge purses, and dominate the racedays, to see better performed horses home in their boxes shits me.......VOBIS used to be a recipe for mediocrity, it hasn't improved much with the exception Written Tycoon has improved VIC bloodstock no-end. It's also a Te Akau benefit mostly, it was good to see Birchley travel over and spoil the party, although he's now going to struggle with his return to training due to the ''I was too pissed to remember'' confession........shoot me, I'm rambling.

Ok Joe so you are equally not a fan of the Magic Millions.  If I was a buyer then I'd pay up for the sweepstake as it's a small % of what I've paid to buy a well bred horse.  However it wouldn't be the end game for me.  I'd still do what was right by the horse long term.

As for the Golden Slipper - how many horses has Gai or her Dad fucked aiming for it?

34 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep Kenny's is a good horse.  Which means Avonella is no slug.

Coyote looks a good un especially when distance on big tracks arrives.

There's a Sneaky in amongst the Te Akau horses.

Being an historian you'd have noted Jammie makes crucial gear changes before these Millionaire races...with remarkable success...Melody Belle BO First time...Probabeel VB's First time, and last year's Winner TT first time

And Sneaky gets the shades on with the instructions to "ride handy" this year...

You simply can't beat shades on 2yo's

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Ok Joe so you are equally not a fan of the Magic Millions.  If I was a buyer then I'd pay up for the sweepstake as it's a small % of what I've paid to buy a well bred horse.  However it wouldn't be the end game for me.  I'd still do what was right by the horse long term.

As for the Golden Slipper - how many horses has Gai or her Dad fucked aiming for it?

First paragraph I see your thinking, as for Gai and TJ, nah, you're way off the mark there. I've been lucky enough to have seen at least 20 slippers, TJ, could train both stayers and sprinters, 2yo inc.......I was foreman for the greatest trainer of 2yo's ever Gus Armanasco, Gus could identify what could run early, and train them accordingly, 6 weeks from Paddock to post, no fucking around, the champions Gus produced were amazing, Gai too, she produced plenty of magic 2yo's inc Sebring of course that went on to be a champion stallion, as did Angus Armanasco, TJ had Toy Show and Bounding Away, both trained on to be great 3yo's........they trained 2yo's to be vastly different to what I witnessed in NZ......at Deacs we didn't have 2yo's, Deac never pushed em, even though we had so many Copenhagen's we didn't aim for for the 2yo races. Jim Didham had a few smart 2yo's, he trained them a little like the Aussies do, but remember, Jim grew up at W Farm in SYD when old Arthur trained there, Jim had his first race ride at W Farm.......the Aussies know how to train 2yo's, or they did as the new breed of young gun, is a very different animal. Johno Benner knows better than most Kiwi's how to train a 2yo.......and its not twice round on the sand like I saw.

• Like 1